Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
What a great find!

I think you have a pretty good handle on what needs to be done, and, you'll have somebody driving a chase vehicle if something should happen while on the road? As long as you aren't traveling on a weekend where you might have trouble finding an auto supply open, or during a howling winter gale where working on it while on the road might be difficult, you'll have no trouble getting it home.

I would advise you to get after the entire roof and and all windows as one of your first projects? You found a great coach, but the only chance it has of staying that way is being taken care of by somebody that knows how to keep it that way? Make DARN sure it's water/weather tight!!!! SOON!!!!

Best of luck with it!

Thanks, we are thinking the exact same thing.. there isn't a ladder on the back of this one so no one has been up there walking around, in fact I saw no signs of physical damage to the top at all, so I am planning on using walk boards and making sure the top is sealed up (is there a 'best' type of sealant for the metal roof?) and repairing/replacing any window seals that need it.

If it didn't need washed so badly on top I would try to seal it up before even moving it, but as it is I'm going to try to pick a time with a few days good weather to bring her home, so I can get on it before it gets a ton of rain on it.

On my way to NAPA now to try to order some of the things I know it needs, tomorrow will be a work day, after which Im sure I'll have another list of stuff to get.. I'll try to get some pictures while Im there.
Doug B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #16

One option for tires might be take-offs from ambulances. I bought some Michelins that were two years old and had about half of the tread left. They should last me as I only drive a thousand or so miles a year.

Phil
beap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:06 AM   #17

Roof sealant

Wash the roof off good with something like simple green. Then go to an RV place and get metal roof primmer and Metal roof sealant. Coat the roof and reseal vents with lap sealant from RV place. Given the age of your RV it is best to take all the windows out and reseal with butyl tape and then use Lexel caulk around exterior window. You tube has a video on how to do this. With the window out you will be able to see the interior condition of your walls. Best of luck in your RV repairs/adventures.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Has it been moved yet? If so, how did it go?
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #19

"I can always crash in the RV "

Hope not, keep us posted on your progress.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
"I can always crash in the RV "

Hope not, keep us posted on your progress.

LOL .

Think he means 'sleep in the RV' !
Old 10-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
LOL .

Think he means 'sleep in the RV' !
Let's think so.
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't care what they look like DO NOT DRIVE on those tires. I bought 2002 with tires that looked great and was following behind the MoHo when a front tire exploded. Nearly put MoHo in the ditch on wrong side of the road. Grace of God kept it from becoming anything more than a frightening experience, but could easily have been very serious if there had been oncoming traffic at that moment. I know your anxious to get that thing home, but you take your life and others in your hands if you drive on 15+ year old tires.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #23

Triple E Owners Club
That snow blade hanging off the front gives new meaning to winter camping.

How about an update. Did you make the trip ok.
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #24

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, the Rv is running well now and the brakes work, but I have not attempted the drive home yet, need to raise a bit more capital first. I'm stuck at the moment using my phone for internet so am not on much. I'll def update after the trip. I'd love to put tires on it first but we'll see.. I may have to rollbthe dice....
Old 11-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #25

I started pricing front tires, I definitely don't want a blowout like the one described, especially on the front. I was hoping to find a deal on some take offs of some type and I have found some local to me, but dont know where to call local to the RV. I have the number to a place the guy I am buying it from uses, but the kid I talked to there couldn't find any 19.5 tires listed. Told me to call back in the morning, we'll see.

I called another place and 460.00 installed where it sits was the price I was quoted. I have about a $500 budget at this point. I'll get the backs replaced local to columbus at some point after I get it home..

One place I will be saving some cash will be insurance, my agent quoted me liability for $120 a year.. gotta like that.. Ill eventually up the coverage but for the trip home I think that'll work.

I'm hoping to go get it no later than next weekend, assuming the weather allows it.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #26

I still haven't made the trip yet, but I did end up getting a couple new front tires, $520.00 out the door for 2 china tires installed at the RV. I didn't find any other companies in the area that could do the mobile install, wasn't able to do much bargaining.Convoy tire out of Painesville is who I used and I am happy with the service there.

I've been back up and have the aux tank filled, have run and heat cycled the engine several times, ran through the bleeding procedure 3 times, stood repeatedly on the brake pedal with all my weight, and I don't know if I said this before but I pulled it a foot forward out of it's hole, had to lean on it pretty hard as it had sunk probably 3 or 4 inches on the gravel over the years. It did roll well when it came out and stopped properly.

There is alot more that I would like to have done, I'm still trying to find a fuel pump, I see that autozone and advance sell airtex and the 6935 pump fits the 440 powered coronet around the same year, but no one shows the fuel pump by application, and I can't find a cross reference for the oe part number, 3780-113.

Being 3 hours one way for me to get there, my actual work time has been fairly limited, I'll be glad to get her to her new home, where I can take advantages of milder weather when it happens.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #27

you have alot more patience than me. Since I am a charter member of the dumb and tough club I would have been gone already. Of course breaking down on the road really blows. Stay safe and keep us posted. And also pics.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug B. View Post
, I'm still trying to find a fuel pump, I see that autozone and advance sell airtex and the 6935 pump fits the 440 powered coronet around the same year, but no one shows the fuel pump by application, and I can't find a cross reference for the oe part number, 3780-113.

OE number 3780-113 is not a Chrysler number-way to short. Fuel pump was made by Carter. Any 413/440/383 pump should work. If you need a higher fuel pressure I would go with a 426 hemi (1966-1971).
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, fleetwood, southwind