Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2019, 07:02 AM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ha - I'm sure hionjazz is probably confused and overwhelmed like we all were upon entering motorhome ownership. The first year of ownership is mostly about figuring out what you have and what to do with it. I've had mine for 10 years and I am still learning.
One thing I did learn early on (the hard way) is to not throw lots of $$ into "upgrades/handling fixes" until you have some experience/knowledge with the beasts.
It's a hobby - it takes time to learn it. Learn how to do your own maintenance and collect the manuals (soft copies free online) where you have easy access.
Chassis manuals, Refrig manual, Water heater manual, Heater, AC manual, Steps manual ect. Good things to do during bad weather.
IRV2 is a great resource that helped me - there are sub forums for all RV systems with knowledgeable folks willing to help.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
Ha - I'm sure hionjazz is probably confused and overwhelmed like we all were upon entering motorhome ownership. The first year of ownership is mostly about figuring out what you have and what to do with it. I've had mine for 10 years and I am still learning.
One thing I did learn early on (the hard way) is to not throw lots of $$ into "upgrades/handling fixes" until you have some experience/knowledge with the beasts.
It's a hobby - it takes time to learn it. Learn how to do your own maintenance and collect the manuals (soft copies free online) where you have easy access.
Chassis manuals, Refrig manual, Water heater manual, Heater, AC manual, Steps manual ect. Good things to do during bad weather.
IRV2 is a great resource that helped me - there are sub forums for all RV systems with knowledgeable folks willing to help.
Thank you Tom I’m definitely over thinking all of this. One bolt at a time remembering we will have this coach for a long time
hionjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:54 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Been quiet here for a while - everything going OK or just busy with other stuff?
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:58 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
Been quiet here for a while - everything going OK or just busy with other stuff?
We are in the process of going through the complete coach. Roof was sealed and serviced now we are starting with the leveling system evaluation. Then new leaf springs Sumo springs for bump stocks and 6 new Bilstien shocks. Next, hot water heater service replacing Anode if needed. On to the fresh water flush sanitize and change the water filter under the kitchen sink. Slide systems Test align and lubricate. Test and lubricate the entry step. Open and evaluate the large awning replace what is needed and replace the slide toppers.Heating system is next service clean and test both furnaces.Tune up change oil and filter on the generator. Replace 2 6 volt batteries and test the inverter.
Then it's time for Oil change Tune up change spark plug wires hoses as needed brakes if needed Trans service and radiator flush. Last and not least 9 new tires and we will be ready for our trip up the coast to Oregon and the Redwoods. Putting money into the coach for safety piece of mind and enjoyment is always our top priority.
Thank you for checking in on us. Very much apperciated. Can't wait to post pictures and trips.
Old 05-01-2019, 11:15 PM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Can't remember which one but there is one brand of water heater with an aluminum lined tank who say you do NOT need to use an anode. Still, probably doesn't hurt..
Check to see if the recall has been done on the cruise control brake cutoff switch. It's on the end of the master cylinder and looks like an old style brake light switch. There should be some (looks like) additional wiring with a fuse added in. Apparently these switches could sometimes leak brake fluid into them (due to their downward angle), short out and ignite. The fuse is supposed to blow before that happens. Kind of a 'band-aid' fix but it was Ford's official solution.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Old 05-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #48

belts and hoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by hionjazz View Post
We are in the process of going through the complete coach. Roof was sealed and serviced now we are starting with the leveling system evaluation. Then new leaf springs Sumo springs for bump stocks and 6 new Bilstien shocks. Next, hot water heater service replacing Anode if needed. On to the fresh water flush sanitize and change the water filter under the kitchen sink. Slide systems Test align and lubricate. Test and lubricate the entry step. Open and evaluate the large awning replace what is needed and replace the slide toppers.Heating system is next service clean and test both furnaces.Tune up change oil and filter on the generator. Replace 2 6 volt batteries and test the inverter.
Then it's time for Oil change Tune up change spark plug wires hoses as needed brakes if needed Trans service and radiator flush. Last and not least 9 new tires and we will be ready for our trip up the coast to Oregon and the Redwoods. Putting money into the coach for safety piece of mind and enjoyment is always our top priority.
Thank you for checking in on us. Very much appreciated. Can't wait to post pictures and trips.
HIONJAZZ
I need new hoses and belts also. if I could get the numbers and manufactures that would be great. I have the workhorse engine also. I bought my unit the first of sept. 2018. no trips yet.
I have a CONVERTER instead of a inverter. If you have the converter you might want to add a progressive charge wizard. it will make your batteries last much longer.
have a good trip to the redwoods and send pics.
scooter 750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:03 AM   #49

Quote:
Can't remember which one but there is one brand of water heater with an aluminum lined tank who say you do NOT need to use an anode. Still, probably doesn't hurt..
Check to see if the recall has been done on the cruise control brake cutoff switch. It's on the end of the master cylinder and looks like an old style brake light switch. There should be some (looks like) additional wiring with a fuse added in. Apparently these switches could sometimes leak brake fluid into them (due to their downward angle), short out and ignite. The fuse is supposed to blow before that happens. Kind of a 'band-aid' fix but it was Ford's official solution.
Thank you for that information I will check on that!! I appreciate your insights and thoughts
Old 05-03-2019, 07:10 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter 750 View Post
HIONJAZZ
I need new hoses and belts also. if I could get the numbers and manufactures that would be great. I have the workhorse engine also. I bought my unit the first of sept. 2018. no trips yet.
I have a CONVERTER instead of a inverter. If you have the converter you might want to add a progressive charge wizard. it will make your batteries last much longer.
have a good trip to the redwoods and send pics.
Thank you for that information I will check on that!! I appreciate your insights and thoughts. When I get to the belts and hoses I WILL send you the information. It will be at least a month. With all the other work we are doing to the coach systems. Do you have the same coach 1998 Vision 36B dual slides?
Old 05-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by hionjazz View Post
Thank you for that information I will check on that!! I appreciate your insights and thoughts. When I get to the belts and hoses I WILL send you the information. It will be at least a month. With all the other work we are doing to the coach systems. Do you have the same coach 1998 Vision 36B dual slides?
I have the 1998, 36B or Z.?? (2) two slides. mine had the converter in it when I bought it and added the charge wizard after reading about it on this forum. when plugged in to shore power or generator running it will charge your batteries at 4 different levels when necessary. $28.15 from amazon and plugs into a Progressive inteli-power 9000 or 9100 series of power converters.
scooter 750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:04 AM   #52

Quote:
I have the 1998, 36B or Z.?? (2) two slides. mine had the converter in it when I bought it and added the charge wizard after reading about it on this forum. when plugged in to shore power or generator running it will charge your batteries at 4 different levels when necessary. $28.15 from amazon and plugs into a Progressive inteli-power 9000 or 9100 series of power converters.
I put that charger on my list. Thank you reviews are great Foes your coach sit really low in the back and drag on driveways
hionjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:01 PM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bottom of the coach should look like it's parallel to the ground. Mine droops a bit but there's about 800# of trailer tongue weight on it most of the time.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Old 06-04-2019, 01:50 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
Do you know what shock to use on the TAG AXLE?
Old 06-04-2019, 01:51 PM   #55

Quote:
Bottom of the coach should look like it's parallel to the ground. Mine droops a bit but there's about 800# of trailer tongue weight on it most of the time.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:52 PM   #56

Quote:

Tags
ace, pace arrow