Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #1

Just Checking In

After almost 4 years of only local commute use from covered storage to our home and back, we finally put our 32 foot 90 1/2 Bounder back on the road. If you do a search, you'll find that I have been here for help with the alternator, the charging system, the islolator and, finally the electric Kwikee step which we installed to replace the original, which was damaged.

Our road-trip was from Southern California to St. George, Utah for a sports car event. We took a five day trip pulling a car hauler and car. I'm happy to report that, although we have a "to do" list, nothing eventful happened and our 36,000 original miles "vintage" rig was like new on the road.

I have so many folks here to thank. So..."THANKS"!!!
My wife has been observing me as I tackled these various matters from the R&R of the alternator to the installation of the steps. She says "honey, you really are a mechanical and electrical genious".

I just smile.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats, good for you and much more happy travels.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350ed View Post
After almost 4 years of only local commute use from covered storage to our home and back, we finally put our 32 foot 90 1/2 Bounder back on the road. If you do a search, you'll find that I have been here for help with the alternator, the charging system, the islolator and, finally the electric Kwikee step which we installed to replace the original, which was damaged.

Our road-trip was from Southern California to St. George, Utah for a sports car event. We took a five day trip pulling a car hauler and car. I'm happy to report that, although we have a "to do" list, nothing eventful happened and our 36,000 original miles "vintage" rig was like new on the road.

I have so many folks here to thank. So..."THANKS"!!!
My wife has been observing me as I tackled these various matters from the R&R of the alternator to the installation of the steps. She says "honey, you really are a mechanical and electrical genious".

I just smile.
I am not one that offered any advise on your questions, I am green behind the ears. I have a question for you if I may, we are going to take our vintage MH and tow a 99 deville on a KarkattySS from MPLS to Quartzite Az next month then start back as spring approaches. How was your millage? how many MPG did you lose How many miles a day did you go? I have no problems driving and the MH runs like a top.
We are going to be snobirds this winter for the first time. We had to retire 3 years ago because of Medical reasons. We are going even if it breaks the bank.(LOL) I am just not sure if we should tow or just take the MH. We both kinda want to take it.
Thank you or anyone one else that can give us words of wisdom.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I am not one that offered any advise on your questions, I am green behind the ears. I have a question for you if I may, we are going to take our vintage MH and tow a 99 deville on a KarkattySS from MPLS to Quartzite Az next month then start back as spring approaches. How was your millage? how many MPG did you lose How many miles a day did you go? I have no problems driving and the MH runs like a top.
We are going to be snobirds this winter for the first time. We had to retire 3 years ago because of Medical reasons. We are going even if it breaks the bank.(LOL) I am just not sure if we should tow or just take the MH. We both kinda want to take it.
Thank you or anyone one else that can give us words of wisdom.
Tim
Tim: I doubt we got more than 8 mpg. Didn't actually calculate it, although we have the data to. It's just a feeling based on quick head calculations as we were traveling. We did not have that far to go...about 325 miles each way. Easily made in one 6 hour drive each way.

The particular route has several mountain climbs so that affected mileage for sure. Also, we were pulling a 2300 lb Mazda Miata on a car trailer that probably weighs at least 1,000 lbs. Your "caddy" would be a better, lighter way to go.

Frankly, the MH has never got more than about 10 mpg on the best trips.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:53 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
IC thanks for the info, we have gotten around 10-11 on a good day with a tail wind LOL.
I think we are going to go for broke and take the caddie with. If the MH breaks down we will have a car at least but I don't see any problems with the MH.
Thanks again, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote