Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2014, 07:16 AM   #15

I test drove a '92 with torsialastic suspension when my parents were shopping. They drive and ride extremely well. For the passengers, they tend to loose perspective that they are rolling down the road. Something else that is nice is when you look underneath, the whole bottom is enclosed as one piece. Also there is no frame, so your basement storage is unobstructed. Just a lot of wide open space underneath. Now if you have the option, you can also at least look for the '94 and newer with the 6 speed.

As far as long term cost, Brett Wolf owned a '94 (I think). He has stated that his biggest expense over time was tires. Other than normal maintenance, he really did do anything to it. He also installed air tabs and was getting a little over 11 mpg long term average.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #16

Thanks for that additional information. I have read nothing but good things about Foretravel and would love to have the option of at least considering one when the time comes for us to buy our first MH (all towables to now).
WaltH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
Walt ... I'll tell you right now, if your wife is not totally on board with you doing a restoration on a vintage RV ... you have an uphill struggle. You can overcome, with reading and learning about various mechanical "fixes", your status as a non-mechanic ... But you won't be able to do it without a cooperative spouse.

For me, I needed a helper for many of the tasks of restoration, even though I'm a fairly skilled mechanic, plumber, electrician, and all that stuff.

If you have the work space, I hope you can convince your wife to join the fun of restoring a vintage RV.
X2 on that.

If you want one where you most likely won't have to do much engine work keep your eyes peeled for a Mechanically injected diesel (pre-1998) if possible.
If they will do a cold start quickly, have no visible smoke, It will be in decent shape.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltH View Post
Thanks for the link, and thanks to Daveinet for the recommendation on Foretravel. I do like their coaches, and older one (early 90s) might be the way to go. One thing I like about FT, at least based on the pictures I've seen, is that a lot of the models (say mid-90s on at least) wouldn't look out of place next to the new coaches rolling out today.
I enjoy looking out of place!

dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurdock View Post
I enjoy looking out of place!

What's not to like? A classic that is built to last. It never does out of style.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
What's not to like? A classic that is built to last. It never does out of style.
Now if it were yellow...