Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:33 AM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
1st things 1st, are you talking about the lights or the power outlets? The lights will be 12volt, run off the house batteries(which are separate from the starting battery). The power outlets, you have to either be plugged into electric, or have the generator running and be plugged into that. A little more information is needed to properly help answer your questions.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2015, 01:21 AM   #16

We have been tinkering with it and hooked up to shore power we get overhead lights and outlet power. No appliances, panel controls or porch nor floor lights. We do have the complete wiring skematics from Winnebago. (Thank goodness for dilegent previous owners!) We are working through to find the issue.
On a side note, I've started tearing out the tacky 80's wallpaper! ;-) I will be posting before, during and after pics at some point too!

Old 05-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like maybe there is a problem with the converter, could be just connections, or a blown fuse. Also check your house batteries for charge, if the converter is failing, then the house batteries will loose their charge and there is no power left to power any of the 12 volt things.
Frank
Old 05-07-2015, 12:11 PM   #18

Just as an FYI, many mysterious electrical problems can be traced to bad ground connections. Its the first thing I check.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:53 PM   #19

After close examination of the skematics, we have discovered that the motorhome was designed to run off of 3 batteries (it came with 2). After adding the 3rd battery and getting rid of a couple kill/selecter switches that were not original, we have a much better running 454. She now purrs like the kitten she should whereas she use to have trouble idleing. All of the lights and radio now work great in the driver's cabin however, the house power is still not working off of the 12 volt... we will be at it again tomorrow as there are still wires that we haven't been able to trace and some other added things that are not in the skematics and we are trying to figure out what is needed and what is not.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:00 AM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Glad that you found part of your problem, still sounds like problems in the convertor area, either wiring or convertor itself.
Frank
Old 05-08-2015, 10:12 AM   #21

What is and where should the converter be? There is also an added solonoid that is not in the skematics. We are trying to figure out why. We can not get appliance power even when on shore power. The panel above the stove that controls the water won't power on nor will the fridge nor the floor lights and porch light. They came on for a few seconds back when we first hooked up to shore power but now won't. Yes, we checked and double checked fuses in fuse/breaker box.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
Usually the convertor is what holds the 12 volt fuses, most times it is located with the 110 volt breakers, but not always. The convertor takes the 110 volt shore power and converts it to 12volt DC to charge the house batteries, and all the house 12 volt systems and accessories , I don't have a picture of one, but if you do a search on here you should be able to find multiple pictures to give you an idea what to look for.
It still sounds like a connection or a 12 volt fuse in the convertor, but could be the convertor itself. Remember when working on the convertor you have to disconnect the house batteries and the shore power, because you have both power sources.
Frank
Old 05-09-2015, 09:53 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Follow your power cord into the basement area, and if no power converter there, follow the wire on into the MH. It will go to the converter. Likely under the fridge, or stove, or wherever the cord comes in. It will go to the breaker panel, then the converter, or the converter the the breaker panel. Either way, you should be able to find it! Check the 12 volt fuses in the converter. Likely your problem! Usually in the back, or behind a door, as you need 12 volt power to all your appliance's for them to work. Rail!
Old 05-09-2015, 10:12 AM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
Good advise Rail, I hadn't thought of explaining how to find the convertor that way. Nice job.
Frank
Old 05-09-2015, 06:59 PM   #25

Congratulations on your first MH! We just got ours in December, a 1988 Winnie RC 22 also. I had the same troubles you are experiencing! Over by the wardrobe under the door there is a false bottom in the closet, your water pump is in there, also in front of your water tank is a bunch of ground wires(green). I redid those grounds and everything started working, the water pump, the control console and everything else! Also on ours when we aren't on shore power, the ignition key must be on and the MOM switch on the dash must be in the dual position for anything to work! Good Luck, and happy RVing! Bobby
Old 05-10-2015, 07:59 AM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
Bobby,
That is good info, Something is not wired correctly if the MOM switch has to be on dual, and the ignition switch should not have to be on, this tells me that you are running off the chassis battery and not the house batteries. Either there is an added solenoid that is wired incorrectly, or is bad, or the house batteries are not wired into the circuit correctly.
Frank
Old 05-10-2015, 09:06 AM   #27

Hey! We have an added solonoid that is not in the skematics! I BET that is causing the issue! There should only be one. Why would someone have added one?
Old 05-10-2015, 09:07 AM   #28

FastGlassMan- I will try to remember to take a clear pic of my wiring skematics and post them for you to help you! I bet they are the same!!

Tags
purchase