Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:59 AM   #29
you could draw from your water tank inside after sitting all night, should have warmed up a good amount, that is if you have one

1989 Champion LaSalle 34' 454 ci always doing something to it
Deano56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #30
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
you could draw from your water tank inside after sitting all night, should have warmed up a good amount, that is if you have one
Yes we have a water tank inside i believe it is a 30 gallon or maybe 40.however the PO. Made a 20 gallon gravity feed solar water heater using a 40 gallon fresh water tank strappedto the roof but limited it to a 20 gallon fill to be effective. However he left it clear and if i dont have enough to purchase a tankless i wil improve the design by paiting it with rubberized undercoating except a 4" wide strip the entire height of the tank so i can keep the 5 10 15 20 gallon marks and i should be able to use a 2nd water pump to run just the hot water from that roof tank. The only downside is a minimum of 4-6 hours to get to a decent temperature.

MudiGGer25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:44 AM   #31
Ok just a few updates if anyone is still following this thread or my other ones, first off, the 454 is installed and will run but not idle , i have a electric fuel pump rated up to about 325hp on a big block application, i will be working on that issue in the coming weeks.

We did not make it to trucks gone wild because i fell off the RV june 3rd just a few hours after getting married and have lost my job due to being unable to walk/work for about 8 weeks now, the MRI thursday showed that the bone is healed but the ligament is in bad shape, but im on the mend.

Tranmsisssion pump was still pumping when i put the hose into a container and cranked the engine over so i am convinced that it survived my booboo.

The solar output without tilting the panels has been around 120A-160A over the course of the day for the past several weeks, depending on clouds and how much of it was used overnight. I know i have a phantom draw in the engine wiring that needs to be found later on.

We have been living in the RV since our trailer house was totalled in a storm roughly 3 weeks ago, so we are in the process of salvage and storage of what didnt get ruined inside, the red cross has deemed it uninhabitable and i dont have thousands to repair it before winter comes here in ND, so instead we are moving over to bigger city so i can be close to my dr's for my upcoming surgery. we plan to be moved into a rental house by the end of september and i should be able to tinker more with the camper.

The Solar water heating needs improvement, I think i am going to do 4 or 6 100' coils of 3/4 black garden hose, since that heats up very warm in just about 20 minutes laying in the sun. this should give me roughly 8gallons every 20-30 minutes of warm to hot water depending on time of day.

We have had to run the rooftop A/C any days over 85-90F here, but even it is not keeping up well or putting out very cold air so i think i need to get a valve to install on it so i can refill it with some nice synthetic R134A. The window unit i installed does work rather effectively on the solar power but the windows are letting in way too much heat.

I will have to tint all windows to the Legal minimum Light transmittance to block a good portion of the heat.

I did get the alternator installed on the lawn tractor and it works quite well, putting out easily 70-80A at just above idle, and runs 4 or so hours on a gallon of cheap gas. I intend to switch the alternator onto one of the snowblowers i have picked up cheap so that i will have a more mobile platform for my "generator" and it is also capable of cranking that 454 with ease if i run the battery dead.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:48 AM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep still following the thread I think we have the same stove. Boy sorry too hear of the problems your having and hope you heal.
Have you checked the fuel filters to see if they might be plugged?
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 01:13 PM   #33
I did swap fuel filters at the carb. And the electric fuel pump has no filter for the time being. I can revv it as high as I want and hold it but it won't idle unless I'm giving it some gas
Old 09-03-2016, 07:02 PM   #34
turns out i needed to up the idle speed screw, i got it adjusted and idling around 700rpm in park. it stays running all the time now, and gets about 6.9-8 mpg depending on whether im towing or not.

its got more than enough TQ and HP, i literally popped a wheelie by accident because i forgot i was in the RV and i punched it to get across the street in a big city and the front wheels left the ground momentarily then the front end came crashing down as i realized what i just did then pretty much bottomed out the suspension and got out of the road before someone called the cops lol.

however its a moot point now, since i have a1994 TBI 350/4L80E lined up from a friend of mine to put into the RV which should get good mpg (small engine + Overdrive + 55mph) the box van its in currently gets 14-16mpg but i will be happy to see 10mpg at this point.