Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
Keeps running 1991 Itasca

After I start my 1991 Itasca, if I turn the lights on and then turn off the ignition, the engine keeps running. It continues to run when the running lights are on or when the light switch is pulled out all the way. To stop the engine, I must turn the head lights off. I assume this is not normal! Any ideas which wires could be crossed as I do not have a GM wiring diagram.

Waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Maybe that is a new warning system to tell you that you left your lights on! If your vehicle does have a warning system saying your lights are on, I suppose that hot wire could be crossed with the ignition hot wire and keep it running? I can't think of where the headlight system and ignition would cross otherwise?.................ronspradley

1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
More info

I have found the problem is caused by the brown wire in the light swith, it has a purple wire spliced in to it which is causing the problem It is a MM01 but is hard to trace. Why did Itasca use all purple wire!
Old 08-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
I have just been doing some more testing. I have discouvered I need a wiring diagram but I have no idea who's wire this is or what it is called. If I connect the brown wire and do not splice in the 100656 MM 01, the engine stops when it should but the day light running lights do not work when the lights are turned off. I am wondering if there is a problem with the control box for the day light running lights, but I have no idea where it is.