Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #1

Kit Companion, Duo Therm 66012-005 Furnace

Hi there,

I have a 14' Kit Companion with a Duo Therm Furnace, model number 66012-005. I does not work and I cannot seem to remove it from the trailer, although I have removed most of the bolts, screws, possible. Does anyone have any gudiance on this one? Kind Regards, Bill
78Kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #2

IF yours is like the one in our '88 Kit 24 ft 5er, you disconnect the incoming gas line, the wiring in the same area, disconnect the air vet tube on the outside wall near the heater, and the several screws that retain the actual heat exchanger module into the outer metal box shell - at that point, making sure all wiring and piping are clear, and that the inner heat exchanger can freely slip past the several hot air duct adapters that protrude slightly into the box cavity, just ease the inner assembly out and clear.

You might describe what issues you are having with the heater?
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #3

Duo Therm 66012-005, removal, gas controller

Thanks John, got it out now. What threw me was that the prev. owner mentioned the outside exhaust vent was for the fridge....it was'nt of course and once I took that off, the whole heater unit slide right out with ease. I'll bench test it this weekend; by the way, would I find this type of gas controller available on the market? The mfg is ITT controls, Cat no. RV28S844, but the model no. is rubbed off. Thanks for you help, Bill
Old 03-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #4

Dunno about the availability of gas controllers - I've had our unit out many times, trying to correct an issue where the heater comes on, runs for varying periods of time - then shuts down prematurely the flame goes out. It then cycles on/off a few times until it finally reaches the set temperature, or I get disgusted with it and shut it off manually (switch it off at thermostat).

I've thoroughly checked all microswitches - sail panel and such, all the safety temp interlocks, and replaced the electronic control module, as well as the thermostat.

Nothing has worked to correct my issue so far, so that's why I asked what your problem is. My suspicion is that I too might need a replacement gas controller, but since we are fair weather RVers, rarely need the heater - and when we do, we're usually in a CG with hookups, and use an AC electric heat cube instead - so the RV heater is a low priority issue...
Old 04-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #5

Ok...we're getting there.

Hi John. Ok, I expected the parts to arrive by last weekend but they just arrived yesterday so I'm a bit delayed in following up here. I put in a new thermocoupler and delay relay both of which were bad. I also put in a new thermostat and sail switch. Pretty sure the sail switch was also not working. The unit fires up but similar to the problem you described, gas switches off after about 2 minutes of operation.

I have to light my unit manually, but I am not sure if it is suppose to have a satnding pilot of if the pilot is suppose to go out once the burner lights (it does go out). It seems that when the burner lights, the pilot goes out, and after about 2 minutes the thermocoupler cools and shuts off the gas supply. It is definitly something with the gas control, because I can hear it click off after the 2 minutes....I'll have to investigate further....Bill
Old 04-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #6

Our unit has automatic lighting, so is different than yours - you may need to adjust the thermocouple tip nearer to the main flame, so it's heat maintains tip temperature and keeps the gas valve open.

By the way, my name is Gary - and I LIVE in John Day Oregon...
Old 04-05-2013, 05:10 AM   #7

Hi Gary, apologies for getting the name wrong. Believe it or not the furnace is working well now. The issue was the new time delay relay but I got in touch with the manufacturer and they sent me an alternate wiring solution and all the problems are sorted, including the t-coupler maintaining heat. So I am moving on to the fridge, an Instamatic IM4. Works on propane, electric not working....Take care and thanks again for the tips.

Tags
furnace