Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2008, 06:27 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
NOTE: All pictures in the Kit Kamper Projects are thumbnailed. To view a larger copy of any image, simply click on it and an expanded copy will be presented.

------

Well, those that have followed my Projects over the years know that I added a home A/C unit to my camper. The A/C is still running as good now as it did when I installed it.

In an effort to extend the A/Cs life span and to help on preventative maintainence I did two things.

First off, I had a fin guard made to fit on the back of the unit to prevent tree branches, rocks, and small children from denting the fins in the evaporator coils. If you revisit my California Adventure thread (Not currently available on IRV2, do a google search for it on RV.net), and go to Part 4 and view the pictures from Mattole Beach you'll see the steel fin guard I installed on the A/C.

Second, I had a removable cover made for the A/C unit. Terry, my friend and trusted welder happened to have a friend who runs an upholstery business that dealt in boat covers. Upon chatting with him, he suggested a material known as Herculite. Its rip proof, fire proof, fade proof and water proof. Its also a challenge to sew, but will outlast any vinyl cover ever made. He had made countless boat covers from this material and had left over material.

Since I was a friend of Terry's, a deal was cut and for a modest fee we managed to find enough material in his leftovers that by sheer happenstance matched the camper's new paint job to make my A/C cover.

The whole cover is held on by a single strap of industrial elastic. Since the front edge tends to flap out a bit, we're going to add a velcro strip to the underside of the brushguard and to the front bottom edge of the cover so I can pull the front tight with the bottom of the unit.

A properly sized hole was cut in the cover to accomodate the drain hose attached to the drain port on the A/C to help wick away excess rain run off and A/C Condensation.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:27 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
NOTE: All pictures in the Kit Kamper Projects are thumbnailed. To view a larger copy of any image, simply click on it and an expanded copy will be presented.

------

Well, those that have followed my Projects over the years know that I added a home A/C unit to my camper. The A/C is still running as good now as it did when I installed it.

In an effort to extend the A/Cs life span and to help on preventative maintainence I did two things.

First off, I had a fin guard made to fit on the back of the unit to prevent tree branches, rocks, and small children from denting the fins in the evaporator coils. If you revisit my California Adventure thread (Not currently available on IRV2, do a google search for it on RV.net), and go to Part 4 and view the pictures from Mattole Beach you'll see the steel fin guard I installed on the A/C.

Second, I had a removable cover made for the A/C unit. Terry, my friend and trusted welder happened to have a friend who runs an upholstery business that dealt in boat covers. Upon chatting with him, he suggested a material known as Herculite. Its rip proof, fire proof, fade proof and water proof. Its also a challenge to sew, but will outlast any vinyl cover ever made. He had made countless boat covers from this material and had left over material.

Since I was a friend of Terry's, a deal was cut and for a modest fee we managed to find enough material in his leftovers that by sheer happenstance matched the camper's new paint job to make my A/C cover.

The whole cover is held on by a single strap of industrial elastic. Since the front edge tends to flap out a bit, we're going to add a velcro strip to the underside of the brushguard and to the front bottom edge of the cover so I can pull the front tight with the bottom of the unit.

A properly sized hole was cut in the cover to accomodate the drain hose attached to the drain port on the A/C to help wick away excess rain run off and A/C Condensation.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote