Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
NOTE: All Pictures in any of the Kit Kamper Projects are thumbnailed. Simply click on the image you wish to see bigger and a full size copy will be loaded.

-------

Now, this topic has come up more than once over the years on this forum (Truck Camper Forum on RV.net). Most folks either opt for power extension mirrors, or the more common slip on varieties.

These all work great if you're using a stock mirror setup, or your truck has a set of electric extendable mirrors available for it.

Now, what does one do when your truck no longer has its stock mirrors and instead has a big old honking set of dump-truck mirrors?

Easy, you add on!

These mirror extension brackets are another design that my buddy Terry and I dreamnt up after I got to complaining about the fact that I couldn't see all the way back to the rear of my truck or who the h-e-double-L was getting ready to play Johnny Rocket and shoot out from behind me to do a California passing maneuver.

Rather than drill a whole heap of new holes in the existing mirror brackets, the design opted for reusing the existing mounting stucture and only drilling a single hole in the top cross member to give the mirrors lateral stability. All other holes were matched and the only changes made were the addition of longer bolts to accomodate the extra thickness of the extension brackets.

The extensions are removable, though they require a socket and a wrench to do the job instead of simply undoing some straps or pushing your mirrors back in.

The advantage I like about the design is the two seperate mirrors on each bracket in addition to the stock mirror and the convex mirror attached to it.

The Upper mirrors are perfect for showing me whose hanging around behind me and what's coming up behind me and along side me up to two lanes over.

The lower mirror allows me to watch the back corners of the camper as I clear corners and tight clearances, as well as watching trailers to make certain that I do not jackknife them when backing up, or cut a corner too close and catch the trailers axle in a curb, pothole, or someone elses car.

With this setup, I can now see just about everything behind me from all different angles, with sufficient overlap to eliminate any blind spots I had in the past.

This is, perhaps, one of the better project investments I've made in my time as a Camper owner. Compared to the slide-on mirror extensions my parent's use with their Toyhauler, my field of rear vision is almost four times that.

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
NOTE: All Pictures in any of the Kit Kamper Projects are thumbnailed. Simply click on the image you wish to see bigger and a full size copy will be loaded.

-------

Now, this topic has come up more than once over the years on this forum (Truck Camper Forum on RV.net). Most folks either opt for power extension mirrors, or the more common slip on varieties.

These all work great if you're using a stock mirror setup, or your truck has a set of electric extendable mirrors available for it.

Now, what does one do when your truck no longer has its stock mirrors and instead has a big old honking set of dump-truck mirrors?

Easy, you add on!

These mirror extension brackets are another design that my buddy Terry and I dreamnt up after I got to complaining about the fact that I couldn't see all the way back to the rear of my truck or who the h-e-double-L was getting ready to play Johnny Rocket and shoot out from behind me to do a California passing maneuver.

Rather than drill a whole heap of new holes in the existing mirror brackets, the design opted for reusing the existing mounting stucture and only drilling a single hole in the top cross member to give the mirrors lateral stability. All other holes were matched and the only changes made were the addition of longer bolts to accomodate the extra thickness of the extension brackets.

The extensions are removable, though they require a socket and a wrench to do the job instead of simply undoing some straps or pushing your mirrors back in.

The advantage I like about the design is the two seperate mirrors on each bracket in addition to the stock mirror and the convex mirror attached to it.

The Upper mirrors are perfect for showing me whose hanging around behind me and what's coming up behind me and along side me up to two lanes over.

The lower mirror allows me to watch the back corners of the camper as I clear corners and tight clearances, as well as watching trailers to make certain that I do not jackknife them when backing up, or cut a corner too close and catch the trailers axle in a curb, pothole, or someone elses car.

With this setup, I can now see just about everything behind me from all different angles, with sufficient overlap to eliminate any blind spots I had in the past.

This is, perhaps, one of the better project investments I've made in my time as a Camper owner. Compared to the slide-on mirror extensions my parent's use with their Toyhauler, my field of rear vision is almost four times that.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote