Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2009, 02:17 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Some of you may or may not remember BradW's handy 7 gallon portable water filling solution from a long time ago.

7-Gallon Water Jug With Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradW 'From '7-Gallon Water Jug with Pump'

I’m sure someone else has done this before me, but I thought I would posts some photos anyway. We sometimes camp at places that don’t have water, so we carry along some extra water jugs. Some other places we camp have water, but no way to hook up a hose to refill the supply tank on our truck camper.

I got tired of standing with a 7-gallon water jug on my head trying to refill or supply tank, so I added a $17 12 volt bilge pump to the water jug cap. Both have a 3/4” pipe thread fittings and just screw together. I can now empty the 7-gallon water jug into the supply tank in under 2 minutes.

It is also useful for putting RV antifreeze into the supply tank for the annual winterization. I just pour all the pink stuff into the 7-gallon jug and pump it in.

The jug and pump are available at Walmart.

Brad
I liked this project quite a bit, and built my own version of it after a fashion, substituting a 10' standard RV hose for the black marine hose that BradW used.

However, as handy as this was, doing this 4-5 times in a row to refill the onboard tank got old, really fast. Not to mention, I could never get the pump to stay in put, it would always try and turn when you unscrewed the lid from the jug.

So, a long while back, I started a couple threads (on RV.net/Woodalls.com) asking about details on those big 30 gallon plastic barrels. After gathering the information I needed, I wound up waiting a couple years until I eventually had built my front cargo rack (next project thread to be posted).

I did a search on Craigslist and found a used Peach Flavoring barrel from Kerry Foods for $25 that came with twin plugs that had 3/4 threading in them for the attachment of pipe.

I wound up building this, using the pump I had originally been using with my jugs:

(Click Image to view enlarged)

The tank has two ball valves, PVC because I couldn't find an affordable brass one. The upper one is the breather and is raised up above the top of the tank to facility a full fill. The lower one has a male garden hose thread on it, which the modified pump assembly attaches to.

I use a double-female coupler to fill the tank via regular RV hose, simply screw on double female, attach RV water hose in normal fashion, then open both ball valves and turn on the faucet. Your standard water pressure is more than sufficient to bottom fill the tank 30 gallons. When it reaches full, I close the bottom ball valve and then turn off the spigot.

The other advantage of the auxillary is I can take it, an RV hose and a water thief to the filling spigot in most USFS campgrounds and fill the tank while leaving the camper behind at camp, which allows me to refill the tank from bone dry in one trip.

With both tanks full, I start out with 60 gallons of fresh water to work with. This came in rather helpful while I was touring Whidbey Island with my wife-to-be, Dawn. The Washington SPs shut off the water spigots at the campsites during the winter to prevent freeze damage. The only water supply is the potable water faucets back at the dump station. Depending on the park, the dump station is a mile or so away.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!