Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:09 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Kitchen Project: Adding a Stainless Steel Stove Backsplash

Well, its time for another project from the Redneck Express . This, time we're doing a little work in the kitchen, if you're interested in reading my other projects, stop on by my blog here .

Kitchen Project: Adding a Stainless Steel Stove Backsplash

Well, once again, I'm doing a project post . This project was done probably back in May or June of last year, but I can't remember the exact date, and I didn't take pictures of it until about ten minutes ago as I was baking a pizza in the oven.

When I originally bought my camper and for most of the time I owned it, the only back splash the stove really had was the three-inch tall piece of Formica that went with the counter top.

The rest of the wall was just the standard oak-wood grain paneling that made up all of the walls and cabinets in the camper.

This is okay, until you start full-timing in the camper and like to cook bacon or sausage, or anything that uses or produces some kind of grease. Even with a spatter screen, the natural vapor that comes from the cooking process gradually builds up on surfaces.

Trying to clean bacon grease build up out of porous wood paneling is a pain in the butt.

So, I was looking back one day through some of my photos I've collected of the Rociante, when I noticed a piece of regular sheet metal behind the stove in Steinbeck's camper.

That got me to thinking, and luck would have it, my original neighbors here at the park, the husband works at a sheet metal shop.

A little measurement and a bit of discussion later, and I now have a nice piece of heavy duty mirror polish stainless steel lining the wall behind my stove.

Clean up is a snap with a little bit of windex every now and then.

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
IC2

Great project - and() just one more that I have added to my list for fun but useful upgrades to my 5er. The wall behind our stove - is getting stained, so this will work just fine.

One question - I didn't see how you attached it to the wall especially with that porous paneling behind the stove which might have some embedded grease?

Old 01-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nice fix to a messy problem.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Great project - and() just one more that I have added to my list for fun but useful upgrades to my 5er. The wall behind our stove - is getting stained, so this will work just fine.

One question - I didn't see how you attached it to the wall especially with that porous paneling behind the stove which might have some embedded grease?
Its hard to see, but there's 8 screws with stainless steel trim washers in the outer corners on the back and side that are driven directly into the camper's wooden frame.

I matched them as best as I could to the sheet metal on the wall so that they'd be near invisible.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Its hard to see, but there's 8 screws with stainless steel trim washers in the outer corners on the back and side that are driven directly into the camper's wooden frame.

I matched them as best as I could to the sheet metal on the wall so that they'd be near invisible.

Thanks!!
Yep - they are invisible as far as what the photos are showing

I can't easily do that on mine, but there are some very good 2 sided tapes available, s-o-o-o-o
Old 01-09-2011, 11:46 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Thanks!!
Yep - they are invisible as far as what the photos are showing

I can't easily do that on mine, but there are some very good 2 sided tapes available, s-o-o-o-o
You could actually screw anchor it to the wall even if studs aren't available, simply install a set of the metal drywall anchors into the paneling (There's a specific type that has a screw down the center of it that when tightened causes the anchor to spread and snug down to the wall from behind) where you want to screw the sheet metal down and you'll be just as secure.

Personally, for sheet metal, I wouldn't trust 2-sided tape. If I was to glue it, I'd use either a good 3M adhesive spread with a notched trowel or at minimum a good coating of polyurethane adhesive spread in a similar fashion.

2-sided tape with something as big as a sheet metal back splash would pop loose after several trips down the road, plus, you can't get it as flush to the wall.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
You could actually screw anchor it to the wall even if studs aren't available, simply install a set of the metal drywall anchors into the paneling (There's a specific type that has a screw down the center of it that when tightened causes the anchor to spread and snug down to the wall from behind) where you want to screw the sheet metal down and you'll be just as secure.

Personally, for sheet metal, I wouldn't trust 2-sided tape. If I was to glue it, I'd use either a good 3M adhesive spread with a notched trowel or at minimum a good coating of polyurethane adhesive spread in a similar fashion.

2-sided tape with something as big as a sheet metal back splash would pop loose after several trips down the road, plus, you can't get it as flush to the wall.
What about good old contact cement like used to make counter tops? Little on metal and little on wall...let dry till tacky and get it right the first time because it isn't comeing off!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720 View Post
What about good old contact cement like used to make counter tops? Little on metal and little on wall...let dry till tacky and get it right the first time because it isn't comeing off!
The "Get it right the first time" bit is why I normally don't recommend contact adhesives, with the poly or the 3m, you can scoot it around a bit and clean up any excess before it hardens without needing to race like you're working with 30 second epoxy.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:11 AM   #9

But you can't forget the holding power of the contact cement especially when you are around the heat of the stove. Seems like the others will dry out and lose there grip sooner.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720 View Post
But you can't forget the holding power of the contact cement especially when you are around the heat of the stove. Seems like the others will dry out and lose there grip sooner.
I've stuck my hand against the wall when the oven (The greatest heat source the range can make and the closest discharge to the wall) and it has never felt any warmer than the surrounding air. Now, newer rigs, perhaps the ranges are closer to the wall, but if the heat wasn't enough to cause the vinyl coating on the walls to come loose, then its very unlikely marine grade adhesive (3M) is likely to let go, the polyurethane might if you use the wrong type of construction adhesive.