Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:23 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Kwikee Steps

On my 89 Chieftain, the Kwikee steps have stopped working. The motor runs fine, the gear-box works in and out fine until you put it into a slightest bind, then I can tell something is stripped inside. I completely dismantled the gearbox, and what I found is that the large (plastic) gear that meshes with the worm gear on the motor had? three "cams" on the inside recess that haver stripped out. I checked online, but all I can find as far as repairs is that you have to replace the entire gearbox assy., to the tune of at least 200 or so dollars. Does anyone know where I could possibly find that plastic gear? It would be an easy fix if I can.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 08:32 PM   #2

The Kwikee step motors are window lift motors, with gears, for cars. You have to look at your motor assembly and compare it to the window lift assembly. Dorman makes a complete line of the assemblies. My Dorman number is 742-211. This is a lift assembly for the left front on a 87-88 Tbird, 87-88 Cougar, or 88-93 Lincon Contenintal. The Ford part number is E7SZ 6323394-A.
Search this site for step motors. I copied this from this site. Lift motors are much cheaper.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:22 PM   #3

Knugent, If my memory serves me correctly, this is the motor that has the three plastic plugs that fit the recessed cam assembly, right?
And thank you for the info, I work in parts as a living. This little tidbit will help my fellow RV'rs as they travel through Nacogdoches, Texas where I work.
talbott357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:03 AM   #4

You can also buy the replacement gear kit, Dorman part # 747-412. It runs about 22 bucks at most parts stores.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:55 AM   #5

Darwin and talbot357- I'm not the OP, but thank you for some valuable info!
Old 05-15-2015, 12:49 PM   #6

You are welcome, HoneyBadger.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:50 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just a FYI Powergear/Kwikee is now owned by Lippert Components. I called them about the steps on my 1988 Limited and was told that they don't support any Kwikee step prior to 1999. I did see a number of conversion kits on Amazon and just might get one to hedge the unit on my MH failing. I had a problem with the unit locking up in the down position and it turned out to be just needing a cleaning and lube. Lippert says the only option from them is a completely new step unit. Amazon complete power unit was about $250.

John
Old 05-20-2015, 10:10 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Darwin and talbot 357, thank you much for this good info. Talbot 357, whatever was inside the recess have all broken off, but I can see that they were some type of plug, or fingers, or something. So, you're saying that part number 747-412 is for the plastic gear only? That's really all I need

Tags
kwikee, steps