Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2017, 08:24 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Question Kwikee steps

The electric motor on my Kwikee steps on my 89 Winnie Chieftain has stopped working and I have had no luck at finding a replacement.
A few years back, one of the plastic gears in the gear apparatus broke, and if I remember correctly, someone on this forum said the gear was the same as that from , I believe, a Thunderbird electric window actuator. I ordered it, and low and behold, it was a perfect fit. But, I cannot remember where I ordered it from.
Anyway, I was wondering if that is true, is it possible that the little electric motor could possibly be the same as an automobile electric window motor?
Has anyone had any experience with this?
knugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2017, 05:33 AM   #2

I don't know what model steps you have but I found the Kwikee gear linkage on amazon, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER, and the motor, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER.

Here is a thread that might help, http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/i-ne...or-120918.html. See post#10 + 11. They claim "Kwikee step motor replacement – 86-95 Taurus LF window motor NAPA BK665-1395 AutoZone Dorman 742-206" or "The Kwikee step motors are window lift motors, with gears, for cars. You have to look at your motor assembly and compare it to the window lift assembly. Dorman makes a complete line of the assemblies. My Dorman number is 742-211. This is a lift assembly for the left front on a 87-88 Tbird, 87-88 Cougar, or 88-93 Lincon Contenintal. The Ford part number is E7SZ 6323394-A." Read through the thread lots of input for you.

Here is another thread that may help, http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/kwik...nt-225969.html and http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/chan...ew-151231.html.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:29 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you for such a wealth of information. I ordered one from Auto Zone today. It will be in tomorrow. I will see then if I ordered the correct one. Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Kwikee Step

Thank you, again, SS Traveler. The first one I ordered from Auto Zone would not work. It was the Dorman 742-211, and it was a mirror image of mine, so I ordered the 742-210, and it was a perfect match. All I had to do was pull the little gear off mine and put it onto the new one. Everything is working great now.

Tags
kwikee, steps