Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2015, 10:50 PM   #1

Layton 1971 Trailer

Hi all,

I just bought a 1971 Layton Camper and hope to take it on a cross country trip this summer. Does anyone know of a forum for resources that relate to that model??

Tony in NM
dtony1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2015, 11:37 PM   #2

Nope but I have a 78 Excel the same kind of orphan:-)
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:26 AM   #3

71 Layton

Tony, I don't know of any, but seems like any questions you may have someone on this IRV2 site would be able to help you with.

I have a 71 Terry so most of the things I have purchased have been at Amazon, E-Trailer, Camping World or Outdoors mart.

When I took mine across country I repacked the wheel bearings and had new tires installed. No problems at all.

Good luck,
BOBJ in NC
BobJNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:06 AM   #4

Repack bearings

Hi there, Bob

When you say repack bearings, I watched a youtube video of a guy doing that. Do you mean to just grease them OR pull off the hub and replace the seal et al?
Old 05-25-2015, 01:07 AM   #5

Cliffy,

Why do you refer to it as an orphan?

Tony in NM
Old 05-25-2015, 01:24 AM   #6

My RV Story

OK,

I am a brand new "Vintage" travel trailer owner. I live in NM, but am from SC originally. As a kid my parents had a truck camper that we'd take out on weekends and longer vacations. We kids loved it and though we helped in preparing it my dad did most of the preparation and clean upon returning home.

I have wanted to take a cross country trip with an RV for several years to kinda relive some childhood memories. I am totally embracing that fact that I may hate it totally as my idea of "roughing it" in the wild is Holiday Inn. If this trip turns out to be something I never want to do again, I don't think selling the trailer in a few months will be difficult. If, however, I find that I enjoyed it and may want to do something similar again, then I'll either work toward "refreshing" the old trailer OR get something a bit newer.

My hobby of choice is old cars and I have a 1979 Lincoln Town Coupe that I wanted to couple the vintage trailer with. For my upcoming trip, however, I am using a Lincoln Blackwood to pull it.

So last week I found, looked over, did a test pull and purchased a 1971 Layton 20ft. It appears to be in good shape. With all the rain we have had in Albuquerque lately, I haven't found any leaks in it. It is self-contained (meaning stove, fridge, BR/Shower) and was presented very clean. A big selling point or me as most I saw were dusty/dirty in their pics.

My issue is I know NOTHING about RVs. That's why I was looking for an owners manual or information on what one does to get them ready for a trip. Surely new tires and working on the bearings are in order. I hope to clean up the outside with a good wash and repaint the metal bumper/tongue sections to make it a bit more pleasant to look at.

So any suggestions for for newbies like me would be greatly appreciated.

Tony in NM
Old 05-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #7

Not only repack wheel bearings, but if equipped w/brakes, make sure they have good pads(shoes) and brakes are adjusted.

Check propane tank(s) for plenty of gas to not get caught short when needed.

We just got back from Memorial Weekend trip and 2 important things I forgot was Flashlight and Camera. Total brain dead on these items to remember the adventure and see things in the dark. Take spare batteries also for any TV/DVD Remote also.

2 very important things I installed in our '84 Prowler was a smoke detector and a Carbon Monoxide detector.

Take a good quality air mattress/pump. If you find your feeling the springs in your bed mattress after a couple hours, you'll appreciate it.

Make a "check list" of things you need to take to help not forget anything, with medication(s) at top of list and marked off when placed in TV or camper.

A good 4-way lug wrench, 20T hydraulic jack, wheel chocks and 2x6's to be used as leveling blocks, or jack support(changing flat tire) are good to have on hand.
JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:33 PM   #8

Its an orphan as there is no company left, not many around (haven't seen another one yet), no info on it or company, on and on. None the less, its simple, easy to fix and works fine.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:46 PM   #9

1st- running gear, tires, brakes and bearings,
2nd-appliances, make sure they all work correctly way before you leave.
3rd-black and gray water tanks, make sure they don't leak (fill them with water let them sit for a couple of days looking for leaks and then dump BUT only in a proper dump station).
4th- fresh water tank, fill and drain several times. Make sure the water pump works and you have no leaks in the plumbing. Turn the pump on with water running in all the faucets. Shut each faucet off and stop all water flow. If the pump keeps running or starts and stops running continually you have a plumbing leak. ABQ gets cold enough in winter to freeze and break pipes if they left water in them.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:49 PM   #10

5th- check out the electrics. brake and tail lights work with car hooked up, running lights work, then all the interior lighting.
Once it all works clean it up and have fun.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:20 AM   #11

Sorry Tony that I didn't get a reply to you sooner but work has been really keeping me busy. Looks like you have received good advice already. I pulled the hub and cleaned and greased the bearings. Don't remember changing the seal but probably a good idea with the age of our trailers. I have been working on mine when I have the time. Have a great day, BobJ
BobJNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:51 AM   #12

Do some dive way camping before your trip, you'll be surprised at how much that will help get you prepped for the world on the road with your new to you equipment.

There were some online video programs on fixing up older travel trailers, try to find some if you have time.

Best of luck
DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 05:59 AM   #13

Tony,

Take a look at this link: Vintage RV: Restored 1971 Layton Travel Trailer

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:33 PM   #14

I had a '69 Layton TT as my first RV. They were part of Skyline who also made Golden Falcon, Aljo, and 2 others. I used to know the 5 they made. Mine lasted until '72 when I left my parents take it on vacation. My mother was driving in Ontario, Canada and rolled it over. The body went part way over and the frame went all the way over. That broke the connection to the holding tank and 40 gal. was evenly spread over the entire Interior. We moved on and always had an RV with the exception of '84 when we were without any RV.