Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #1

Lazy's 73 Winnebago Brave

I joined a few days ago and post and comment on alot of things. and so much info on here, I thought i would start my own, and in the vintage, cuz i think its save to say shes Retro!
and yes my nickname is lazy..not cuz im lazy and do nothing,I just like to make things as easy as i can. ( and i got the name cuz i diddnt want to work 40 hours a week) they called me lazy. I told them there had to be more to life than working your butt off to do nothing.Im not sure they still understand to this date. but everyone calls me lazy and thats ok. I have even been dj lazy in my younger years,(with my own clothing line) and now i do photography.
Now that you understand me a little bit, lets get to the project.
I'll ad my updates, upgrades, and restoring this old girl..all on here.
i batered my caddy for her.

Honestly besides the stove and oven. Im not sure what works and what don't.
I know there isnt any heat when driving too.
And I know I couldnt have thought of affording one...enless i have another one to bater with..this was a option and i took it..
so heres the inside.
The bedding area..looks like maybe i can squeeze a full size in there..may loose some storage tho.
well i noticed i had some water damage near the door and around the window, so i started the heater and let get it warm in there and took out the bench seating, table. and all the wood paneling that was rotten behind there..before.

and heres what it looks like now.

I traced the leak i think..back to the roof. where some frozen puddle was..that tricked and stuck to the side of rv and threw some gaps..Ill wait for a warmer day, and fix the leak from the outside to the inside, then get some insulation put up and some type of wood material or something to cover it all up with that i can paint..Im on a super tight budget so any super cheap but nice looking fixes that you want to suggest..feel free..thanks for taking a look and hope to talk to ya in the future as i fix this old girl up..and cant wait to go see some sites and make some heads turn..
LaZy507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm in! I think you've got a great foundation for a really cool piece when you're done. Looks like a PO down the line sure liked yellow!

Tons of options on ceiling material around. You could always add luan and then cover than with vinyl or something similar. Here's a site you should really check out as there's tons of great info on classic winnies - classicwinnebagos.com

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:00 AM   #3

Thanks...as a newbie..whats po mean? lol...and somebody liked yellow. I sure dont. it will be painted a sandy color..thinking of doing a beach theme for it..so i can always be at the beach. i like the sandy color, with white and like a sea blue color.
Tackling more water damage above the fold down bed in front today! wish me luck. ill post a pic when i figure out how bad it is
Old 02-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #4

PO means "Previous owner". Good luck with the Winnie. That old body style used to be seen almost everywhere. My first time driving a motorhome was around 1970 in a 17 ft. class A Winnebago; built on a single rear wheel, six cylinder, Ford pickup truck chassis. Lots of fun with 6 people sleeping in the thing, but pretty terrifying driving at 70 MPH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaZy507 View Post
Thanks...as a newbie..whats po mean? lol...and somebody liked yellow. I sure dont. it will be painted a sandy color..thinking of doing a beach theme for it..so i can always be at the beach. i like the sandy color, with white and like a sea blue color.
Tackling more water damage above the fold down bed in front today! wish me luck. ill post a pic when i figure out how bad it is
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #5

i cant imagine 6 people in my rig..elbow to elbow..and doing 70 at the same time? better hope not too many people are in the back..you be doing wheelies..lmao too funny. well im off to tear out some boards and make a bigger mess..wish me luck
Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #6

Well, i took out to tear some more boards down, i forget to get a picture, but the rv was 40 degrees, not to bad with a coat and a little blood flow
the panel was a b***to get off..lol.
not much room between the bunk and the ceiling to work with..and you can see the water drips in the picture. im going to replace the insulation when the time goes, i have to get that paneling first. and figured before i replace the insulation, i have to fix the leak. and might as well leave the insulation in there to soak up some water.
Now i know, and sure i could and prolly should replace the whole ceiling as there are some sags here and there threw out the rig..but nothing bad like what im replacing now..and i dont have the cash flow for that..just trying to fix what is a issue now..
you notice I dont have much head room as is..
and you see all them rails along the ceiling..they are im guessing the frame that holds everything together since they are steel..but what can i do, to cover them up and/or add a new layer to the ceiling..?? what do you guys think?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #7

Since i diddnt have the materials to finish the ceiling or the walls just yet, I started looking around at what else i could tinker with..and well, I took out the cabinets,doors & drawers..and now where did i leave my paint brush. i found that paintbrush while looking for a roller..its hugh! lol
Tomorro ill be doing the tape work on the inside of the rv and hopefully get the first coat of primer to the walls..
Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #8

Got the colors picked out, and there will be matching back splash and something covering up the ugly yellow as well..waiting on paint, and playing with windows paint. heres a ex of what im thinking.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #9

Well i taped everything up, the trim with masking tape..dumb idea, and the rest with frogtape,

it did ok, but it still took up some of my primer i had down and dried.

took all the screws and handles,hindges,etc. and painted them with chrome paint and some hair glitter, now everything is shiny and sparkles with the sun hits it.

and this is what everything looks like now, its a start,

I still have alot of masking tape to get off from the trim, i left it on too long and its a stickler to get off, and im a messy painter as you can tell,
still got to cover that yellow, im going to get a backsplash and something to cover the small thin pieces between the stove,sink area, and the fridge, i was wanting to make into a chalkboard if possible..I seen some spraypaint thats suppose to be able to do that, Has anyone tried it?
Old 03-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Whip out a razor blade and it'll make your tape removal at least a little less stressful. Progress is progress!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks like a great project.

I don't think I've ever seen an RV with a double front passenger seat, that's kinda' unique.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #12

Well today was a half way warm day out, The wife helped me get the tape off,
she's got more patients than me.haha
I went around with a scrubby and some deluted fingernail polish remover and got all the residue and paint splaters up. looks alot better now. I been toying with the idea
of putting in some type of flooring, but liked the cushion of the carpet,but with
going in and out all the time, that carpet sure gets wet, so I ripped up the carpet
and the padding, and the padding was in pretty good shape yet, no major wet spots or anything. I saved it. And this is what the floor looks like.Retro Green to go with that Retro Yellow..hahaha
I also wanted to change the dull brown electric covers that was on there, and i had some that was nicer i got at thrift shop, whole bag for $4.00 awhile back. But it was too narrow to use,So i spray painted them both to match the rest and got a little longer screw to thread threw and stuck them together, looks nice now.
Tomorro im going to finish getting the tackboard up, and the dozens of staples along the edge up, but at least it isnt covered in staples all the way across the floor, so shouldnt take all day.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #13

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Nothing, I mean absolutely nothing, beats bright green linoleum when it comes to decorating.....Home & Garden Network be damned!

Tags
brave, winnebago