Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #1

Leaking roof

We just bought a 22 ft 1977 Holiday Rambler, it's in good shape, but discovered there is a leak in the overhead bed. (We just had a rain) The leak seems to be running down from the top seam. I'm new (green), but from what I have read, thinking the best thing to do is use the Eternabond tape. Is this the correct thing to do?
mk-lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #2

Have you inspected the roof yet? Is it metal or have a hole in it. Knowing the condition and type of roof will help you get answers on how to repair it.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #3

The roof is metal, it has 2 seams on it completely across the front of the motorhome fairly close together and then a seam down the middle from the last seam to the back of the motor home. The seams have some unknown sealant on them. There is a sealant around the vents & air conditioner. Don't see any holes in the roof.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #4

I used the etrna bond tape on mine 6 months ago, And it doesn't stick as well as I thought it would. I cleaned the heck out of the roof too before I stuck it down. I tore most of mine off and replaced it with some dicore lap sealant last week. In my opinion the etrna bond tape is for newer rigs. I think the lap sealant works better on the older rigs.
TheDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:08 AM   #5

Where do you get lap sealant at? Don't think I understand what that is.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk-lady View Post
We just bought a 22 ft 1977 Holiday Rambler, it's in good shape, but discovered there is a leak in the overhead bed. (We just had a rain) The leak seems to be running down from the top seam. I'm new (green), but from what I have read, thinking the best thing to do is use the Eternabond tape. Is this the correct thing to do?
Where the drip is may be a long way from where the water is coming in. I just found a leak in my mh and it was from the a/c unit. You may want to check that also. I removed the inside trim and tightened the four bolts and eliminated my leak.

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #7

Lap sealant can be bought at an RV store. It is a type of caulking that comes in a tube that you use with a culking gun.
Look for bad sections in a seam or around a vent, air conditioner, etc. If the ceiling is badly damaged on the inside you will want to remove this to avoid mold formation. This may also help with finding the leak. You may have to have an assistant either man the garden hose or watch for thr leak.
Once you find the leak all old caulk, etc., will have to be removed down to bare metal. If the metal is damaged it will need to be repaired or patched. You can post pictures here so advice can be given.
Main thing is to be sure you have found the source of the leak. If you find the source you can do a temporary repair to confirm the source, then do a permanent repair.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote