Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #1

Leaky hot water heater, repair or replace?

Previous owner tells me that the hot water heater on my recently-purchased '78 Avion Class C is leaking, and when pulling the carpet and checking water damage, this seems to be the case. Looks to be the original heater, a big welded-metal box that fits into the space under the couch-bed. Am I better off getting this one repaired, or should I look for a new replacement? If the latter...where should I start?
EmmyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Whether or not it can be repaired in a cost effective manner depends on where it is leaking. It is not unusual for a fitting or pipe to leak and if that is it then fittings can be replaced fairly easily. If it is the tank then that means patching, welding etc; which may add up.

So first thing is to determine where the leak is coming from, who knows it may not be the HWH at all?

What brand of water heater is it? Start there and see if a similar water heater is made by the same company. This can be done on-line either at the manufacturers website or by goggling the brand name. You can also contact RV dealerships that do repairs for their assessment.

If you post the brand model and manufacturer I am sure their are many who know about that specific brand and can be very specific about the possibilities for you.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #3

First thing would be to pin point the leak , there are many fittings and replaceable parts on the heaters, but if the leak is the main tank you're better off replacing.
Do you have a make and model on the heater, the box your seeing may only be a housing.
If you can post a picture of the heater from both the inside of the RV and outside . Members can describe the change.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #4

Photos acquired. The heater does seem to just be a big metal box, and there's no manufacturer's mark that I can see.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #5

OK , that's bad enough, that replace is the way to go.
Measure the opening in the outside wall and take the measurements with you to the RV store, you may find a 6gal H/W heater that fits your opening. What you have may be an early model from the companies that are still in business, so maybe you can get away without major changes to the wall opening.
Turn off the propane, disconnect the wires inside, water lines already off,
remove all the screws in the flange on the outside wall , cut the sealant between the flange and the wall and slide the heater out.
The metal housing may come out with the heater, and you may end up fabricating a wooden surround for your new heater.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Skip, replace. It certainly looks like an early Suburban or Atwood WH. It certainly is an RV WH and these mfgs have not changed opening size over the years. Measure of course first.

The new WH will come as one complete unit and all you should need is a support under it inside the coach. It should come with a check valve for the inbound cold water line, if not, get one.

I just replaced my Atwood and I found a nice 6 gal with electronic ignition on Ebay for $300. You will of couse have to do some plumbing and the only wiring needed is to connect the two wires to a 12v switch.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Looks like a 6-gallon Atwood. The new Atwoods will fit the same opening. When you take the old one out, check for and repair any rot around the opening before installing the new water heater.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #8

Thanks, all! Collateral damage seems to be limited to a small area of rot in the floor, which will hopefully be easy to fix once the heater's pulled.

Tags
heater, repair, replace, water