Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2012, 05:46 AM   #15

Some I have purchased claim 50,000 hours.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 06:37 AM   #16

White Car Interior Light Panel 48 LED SMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Bingo!
Bought 6 of them a couple months ago. Work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleamarketer View Post
My question is once one of them in a string burns out,don't you have to replace the whole thing making it expensive??.How long to they last??.
Which string are you talking about? With these, you can cut the strip to desired length every 3 LEDs. I could try shorting or opening one if you want me to.

Cool White 5M 16.4FT 3528 SMD LED Strips Lights 300 LEDs 12V

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleamarketer View Post
My question is once one of them in a string burns out,don't you have to replace the whole thing making it expensive??.How long to they last??.
They are wired in Parallel circuit so if one were to go bad it would not do anything to the others, the old Christmas tree lights were wired in Series circuit so the current passed through each bulb. Some companies making these claim 10 years service.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Some I have purchased claim 50,000 hours.
Well then 50,000 hrs and 24hrs in a day and 365 days in a yr...............hummm-that's a long time huh.
fleamarketer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Motion Activated Security Light - 12v for RV - PPL Motor Homes

I bought this 12 volt LED motion light.. works great
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #20

Today I installed an 8' warm white LED strip around my bed platform, I wired it into my courtesy lights, it's a VERY different light compared to my awning light, it looks like I have sunshine escaping from under my bed,
Old 05-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #21

Nor'easters Club
I am a FIRM believer in LED lighting. What's not to like...less heat, less power use, longer lasting.....perfect for RV use.

That being said, I did run into a few snags when updating and modifying the bulbs and fixtures in my 1991 Aero Cruiser.

First, was picking the right color temperature...I like the Warm White version...more like incandescent bulbs. Then finding ones that can deal with the 10-14.xVoltage spread for the typical RV system.

Figure this out BEFORE you buy! You'll save a bunch of time and $$$.

I wrote an article a while back for the RV Newsletter about the conversion. It's at:

WanderMan: And The Lord Said..."Let There Be Low Power Light"

and then this week I wrote a more detailed instructional on how to convert the fluorescent fixtures into Dual purpose LED and/or fluorescent...you get to choose! I like the way they came out....

WanderMan: Convert Fluorescent Lights To LED Dual Use

Hope this gives you some additional info and make the choice (and job) easier.

Since I am a hopeless boondocker and I like being self sufficient ( I am almost completely Solar powered. The RV, not me....) with the notable exception of the Air Conditioning I love the power savings of LEDs. I used to use upwards of 20 Amps of power just to turn on all the lights! Now I barely move the digital display on the battery monitor!

Yay!

Rich "The Wanderman"
Wanderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #22

I ordered and received these items however the plugs are much too small to fit in the bulb socket. I went to Autozone and NAPA and they do not carry adapters. The guy at NAPA looked like I was talking about something from outer space!! I brought a bulb and the tiny adapter with me. He kept staring at them and looked as if he was gazing at something Mars. He said he had worked there for over 20 years and had never had anything like that come up. So, how did you install them?
Old 06-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #23

If you are talking about the 1156 size, I took some old bulbs, broke out the glass and insulator and soldered the wires from an undersized or un-needed adapter into the old bulb base, then(not necessary) filled the hole with hot glue. Positive(red) goes to the center of the old base. Negative(black) goes to the side of the base.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights