Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #15

Be sure to get WARM WHITE as someone mentioned. It gives of a more yellow light, like regular light bulbs. regular LEDs will hurt your eyes with it's blue color temperature. I messed up and bought one regular LED (having forgotten how my battery camping lantern with an LED setting is) and I found I couldn't stand it. I went back and ordered a warm white one and I love it. I bought a bunch more for all my fixtures.

These are the ones i got.
Warm White 1156 BA15S 68 SMD 1210 3528 LED Car Turn Tail Brake Signal Light Bulb | eBay

One that came was bad (the solder came loose). I took a photo and sent it to the seller and they promptly shipped me another one no problem.

Here's what they look like in my MH:
Plan 'V' - A van dwelling blog: Replaced light fixture

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
Be sure to get WARM WHITE as someone mentioned. It gives of a more yellow light, like regular light bulbs. regular LEDs will hurt your eyes with it's blue color temperature. I messed up and bought one regular LED (having forgotten how my battery camping lantern with an LED setting is) and I found I couldn't stand it. I went back and ordered a warm white one and I love it. I bought a bunch more for all my fixtures.

These are the ones i got.
Warm White 1156 BA15S 68 SMD 1210 3528 LED Car Turn Tail Brake Signal Light Bulb | eBay

One that came was bad (the solder came loose). I took a photo and sent it to the seller and they promptly shipped me another one no problem.

Here's what they look like in my MH:
Plan 'V' - A van dwelling blog: Replaced light fixture
Ill have to get one of each. I wanna switch to led to get away from the yellow. Im into saltwater fish tanks and run leds. All hyper white and blue. 15-20k. The cool white would be my first choice

Old 04-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #17

So I just bought a cool white panel 12 leds with socket adapter. Paid $1.67. From hong kong. Just to try after paying I notice the fine print says they dont pay import fees or custum duties.... how much and how will i pay for this???
Old 04-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #18

Nothing, I'm sure. I have yet to have customs duties on anything I have bought from overseas on ebay. They charge it on high priced stuff. Not $5 items. They say that to avoid the buyer getting mad if they buy $100 worth of stuff and don't realize there may be duties due. I have bought from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Japan. Never a penny in duties.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Nothing, I'm sure. I have yet to have customs duties on anything I have bought from overseas on ebay. They charge it on high priced stuff. Not $5 items. They say that to avoid the buyer getting mad if they buy $100 worth of stuff and don't realize there may be duties due. I have bought from China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Japan. Never a penny in duties.
Whew. I was worried id have a bunch of money owed on a $2 bulb. Lol
Old 04-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #20

US Customs isn't worried about $2 LEDs. They care about $2,000 art pieces.

You can read a bit about it here but it's not an issue with USPS, it's with US Customs. One segment of the page states in regards to exception from duties: "On mail items examined and passed free of duty by U.S. Customs."
712 Customs Clearance and Delivery Fee

As a seller on ebay, I say the same thing to non-US buyers. I only ever had one person complain about owing customs duties over in Europe someplace. Wish I could remember what it was. It was their responsibility to pay to import it, not mine. And anyway, you can I think simply reject to pay duties on something, but you don't get to have the item. It gets sent back to customs for destruction or something like that.

I have seen a TV program on Australia's customs service at an airport. I assume the US operates in much the same fashion.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #21

Quote:
US Customs isn't worried about $2 LEDs. They care about $2,000 art pieces.

You can read a bit about it here but it's not an issue with USPS, it's with US Customs. One segment of the page states in regards to exception from duties: "On mail items examined and passed free of duty by U.S. Customs."
712 Customs Clearance and Delivery Fee

As a seller on ebay, I say the same thing to overseas buyers. I only ever had one person complain about owing customs duties. Wish I could remember what it was. It was their responsibility to pay to import it, not mine. And anyway, you can I think simply reject to pay duties on something, but you don't get to have the item. It gets sent back to customs for destruction or something like that.

I have seen a TV program on Australia's customs service at an airport. I assume the US operates in much the same fashion.
Gotcha. For $1.67 with adapter, if they work ill buy more to finish my swap.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisNuwa81 View Post
So I just bought a cool white panel 12 leds with socket adapter. Paid $1.67. From hong kong. Just to try after paying I notice the fine print says they dont pay import fees or custum duties.... how much and how will i pay for this???
Do you have a link to that?
Old 04-19-2013, 06:52 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
I fitted some Warm white 1156 LED bulbs to our rig a while back. The 3w LED bulbs aren't as bright OR as "warm" as the 21w incandescent bulbs BUT for the tradeoff in terms of power saving, I think they're fine...

A few pics...

LED bulb on left, regular incandescent bulb on right.

LED bulb on left, Incandescent bulb on right (same colour & type of diffuser cover on both light fittings)

(Two regular incandescent bulbs)

(Two LED bulbs)