Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #57

Bruce
If you mean the second wire on the iso relay it probably goes to the aux start switch.
Save me from re-reading everything. Do we know for sure the relay actually works ? I think the aux start switch works but now I am not sure. The 10.9 volt reading is why I asked ED to unhook the wire and check voltage at the wire.
Welcome back
Tom

tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompen View Post
Bruce
If you mean the second wire on the iso relay it probably goes to the aux start switch.
Save me from re-reading everything. Do we know for sure the relay actually works ? I think the aux start switch works but now I am not sure. The 10.9 volt reading is why I asked ED to unhook the wire and check voltage at the wire.
Welcome back
Tom
So...this morning I retrieved the motorhome from storage. But before doing so, I checked voltage of the chassis battery and the coach golf cart batteries. Both sets of batteries gave similar 12.25+/- voltage readings. Not real high but, interestingly the same. Nevertheless, I had lots of power to start the motorhome.

When I pulled up in front of the house, I kept the engine running to do a voltage check.

All I can assume is GOD stepped in and said "Ed, you and your "angels" from across the nation have had enough. I think I'll take over from here."

With the engine running, voltages of both banks were reading well above 13v AND the small terminal was reading above 12.67v.

The other end of the #7 wire as it goes into the BIC, same voltage. This wire had no voltage previously. All the dash lights work AND the AUX START works.

It appears that the alternator is charging ALL batteries and with the engine OFF and shore power plugged in, ALL batteries are charging.

Other than GOD, I have to assume that things MIGHT have been working last weekend but maybe the voltage was such that the relay was not open.

ANY QUESTIONS? In light of this circumstance, I have NOT traced the wires as intended. Would you like me to further test anything?

Old 05-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #59

When it ain't broke---stop fixing it.
Good Job and thanks for following up with us.

Tom
Old 05-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #60

Quote:
Bruce
Welcome back
Tom
Hey Tom ... I didn't re-read to look for Aux Start switch when I commented .... my assumption was that no Aux Start switch existed because a BIC performs that function automatically. I.E., the BIC detects low power from the Chassis Battery when the starter is engaged and picks the relay to tie in the Coach Battery. At least I thought it worked that way .... sigh. Possibly someone at Intellitec works in The Department of Redundancy Department
Old 05-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #61

BTW. How is the shore power charging the chassis battery? I don't see a circuit in the BIC to do that. Just to automatically "jump start" it if the chassis battery is low. HMMMMM

Ed.
Was there an issue with another relay and circuit breakers or is all well now ?

Tom
Old 05-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #62

Quote:
BTW. How is the shore power charging the chassis battery? I don't see a circuit in the BIC to do that. Just to automatically "jump start" it if the chassis battery is low. HMMMMM

Tom
Far as I know the design assumed a charge for the Chassis batteries would be via the Alternator. In theory, unless there is an unusual parasitic draw, that should be sufficient for the Chassis. My 1997 Endeavor Chassis batteries stay up at least a month with no external charge and not disconnected (no power at storage facility). I say at least a month because I typically run the diesel at least once a month. As we've discussed I don't use the BIRD since I have solar into the Coach batteries thru a controller. When I'm on Shore Power I could enable the BIRD or throw a trickle on the Chassis but I've never had the need. For me .... just isn't an issue. The slide water leak I'm chasing .... THAT'S AN ISSUE !!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #63

It appears that the alternator is charging ALL batteries and with the engine OFF and shore power plugged in, ALL batteries are charging.

Ed.
Are you pretty sure about the chassis battery being charged on shore power. If so that's cool. If not just be aware of it.
Tom
Old 05-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #64

Quote:

Ed.
Are you pretty sure about the chassis battery being charged on shore power. If so that's cool. If not just be aware of it.
Tom
My quick answer to you guys is NO, I'm NOT sure. But it APPEARS to be the case. Remember those two identical red wires that I have previously mentioned? Each goes thru a circuit breaker mounted below the BIC, as I also have mentioned. I posted photos of these earlier. Well, each of these wires has a electrical fitting of such a size that it is intended to go on the threaded bolt-type post of a marine-type lug which I have on both banks of batteries. When these two wires (fairly heavy gauge) are disconnected, with shore power plugged in, a voltmeter to each wire shows 14v +/-. Based on this, I conclude that the voltage is coming from the convertor/charger. With that in mind, I hooked one up to the positive lug on the chassis battery, and the other one to the positive lug on the coach batteries. To my knowledge, this is resulting in the convertor/charger charging ALL batteries.

To test this, while writing this I went out to the rig and disconnected it from shore power. Both banks of batteries are reading above 13v UNPLUGGED. When I started this morning they were closer to 12.25v.
The shore power was on for about 4 1/2 hours.

What do you think?
Old 05-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #65

OK, I just don't know. It may be possible the convertor can charge both battery banks. Maybe someone with a chassis closer to yours can jump in. I guess the only thing to make sure of now is that the coach doesn't run down the chassis battery. Unplug from shore power and the engine not running, turn on a bunch of lights in the coach and check both battery voltages. The coach voltage should drop without effecting the chassis battery voltage. If so it sounds like you are all set.
Tom
Old 05-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #66

Quote:
OK, I just don't know. It may be possible the convertor can charge both battery banks. Maybe someone with a chassis closer to yours can jump in. I guess the only thing to make sure of now is that the coach doesn't run down the chassis battery. Unplug from shore power and the engine not running, turn on a bunch of lights in the coach and check both battery voltages. The coach voltage should drop without effecting the chassis battery voltage. If so it sounds like you are all set.
Tom
Tom: I called it a day and just returned from taking the coach back to storage. It's only about 5 minutes from my house. I AM concerned about the coach batteries running down the chassis battery. For now, I have disconnected grounds on all banks until I bring it back later next week. At that time, I will turn on a "bunch" of lights and see what happens and then report back.

In the meantime, I want to THANK all of you guys for your experience, wisdom and care. It's NOT something I take lightly and I am beyond being appreciative. Hopefully, I will be able to pay it forward in the future.

"Talk" to you soon.

Ed
Old 05-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350ed View Post
Tom: I called it a day and just returned from taking the coach back to storage. It's only about 5 minutes from my house. I AM concerned about the coach batteries running down the chassis battery. For now, I have disconnected grounds on all banks until I bring it back later next week. At that time, I will turn on a "bunch" of lights and see what happens and then report back.

In the meantime, I want to THANK all of you guys for your experience, wisdom and care. It's NOT something I take lightly and I am beyond being appreciative. Hopefully, I will be able to pay it forward in the future.

"Talk" to you soon.

Ed
Thanks Ed ... let us know how it goes.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #68

Ed
Thanks for the opportunity. We all learn from each other.
How about sharing a couple of pictures of your rig. From your avatar it looks really nice for 23 years old.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #69

Quote:
Ed
Thanks for the opportunity. We all learn from each other.
How about sharing a couple of pictures of your rig. From your avatar it looks really nice for 23 years old.
It's scary how we may think alike. I was just thinking yesterday I should put a face with a name with me standing in front of the open hood and some other shots. I'll do it and post them when I bring the rig back to the house.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt350ed View Post
it's scary how we may think alike. I was just thinking yesterday i should put a face with a name with me standing in front of the open hood and some other shots. I'll do it and post them when i bring the rig back to the house.

pictures !!!! ... We luv pictures !!!

Tags
batteries