Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:54 AM   #1

Just found out all my Levelers and pump are shot and will cost $4,000 to replace. A lot of money to spend on a 1990 coach. Everything is fine as long as we are on level ground. Tough decision to make. Any advice?

Mo Fred, South Central Missouri
1990 32' Barth Regency
8.3 CTA Cummins, 4 Speed Allison
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 07:00 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It mostly depends on the condition of the rest of the coach, and how you use it. You can use boards, but more of a hassle. Maybe get another opinion on repairing the old ones?

Revolution LE 38X C9 Cat
2011 Scion TC toad
1985 KLR 600 as a backup...
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:23 AM   #3
Agree. $4000 is a lot of money- is this for a complete new system installed at a dealer?. I kinda suspect one could purchase individual components and install yourself (unless you are a "Checkbook Mechanic").

Having used boards and levelers, I would never go back to boards.

Originally Posted by krivanj View Post
...Maybe get another opinion on repairing the old ones?
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:30 AM   #4
How do you know they are shot?

Get a copy of a service manual and troubleshoot them yourself or find someone willing to work for beer or eats.

Many issues are simply bad connections or hoses and most are somewhat easy fixes.

Lots a good help here and you will get great help if you ask.

Model of coach and system will get things started .
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
I know they are shot because I took the coach to Iowa at the HWH manufacturing facility for service. They are the ones that told me that the levelers needed to be replaced. Somehow water got into the lines and messed up the entire system. The levelers actually do fold down but they do not extend. My coach does have airbags so I put down the levelers down, place platforms about 1 inch away from the bottom of the levers, then I let the air out and it settles down on top of the platforms where it is somewhat stable. My coach year and make is in my signature at the bottom of this reply. I guess I am just looking for assurance that my situation is not unique, or maybe it is.
Mo Fred, South Central Missouri
1990 32' Barth Regency
8.3 CTA Cummins, 4 Speed Allison
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:05 PM   #6
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Water in the hydraulics isn't a good sign. You didn't happen to find the coach in New Jersey about two years ago?

I didn't have levelers on my coach for the first two camping season. Took along two jack stands, a bottle jack (all 12 ton rated) and a couple of slabs of 2X10 wood. If we stayed anywhere more than two nights I would level. Took longer to manually aim the satellite dish than to level the coach. Have since install jacks and acquired an automatic dish. Also the jacks system I have cost me $3K and I did the install.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #7
Cannot see sig line with DROID app...

Shame water got in but HWH is in the sales biz and would rather sell new system as it is better cost than paying by hour to fix the old one.

That being stated all may not be lost.

One could invest some time to see if it could be fixed.

Azpete is great resource and you may be able to remove the jacks and rebuild them.

If they are kick jacks and they kick down you have pressurized fluid at the jack.

An adaptor hose could be made to allow one to use the kick hose to test the jack.

The valve body may have some rust that made it sticky but it may be something that can be repaired.

There is also option of salvage yards for some non repairable parts.

It still may not be cost effective depending on how much effort you wish to use but the reward when you fix it is great for the ego...says the cheap guy who refuses to replace what can be patched or home built or retrofitted..
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:21 PM   #8
If they kick down then the pump is doing something, sounds like a rusty/clogged valve to me. I'd lookup the troubleshooting manuals on the internet and bring them to a reputable hydraulic shop! It can't hurt to get a second opinion, but if you have $4000 to give away, I do but won't, have at it! I have HWH's on my 1988 Winnie and they didn't quite work well either when we got it, but they work now! A good hydraulics shop even if they had to turn the cylinders and rechrome them back to spec , replace all the springs (which is not your problem if they flip down and flip up again), rebuild the valves ,etc I'd guess $2000 max! Hydraulic systems love to be used, when they sit alot or someone puts the wrong fluid in or they get water in them they get tempermental! I'd try another way, they are not on the space shuttle!Bobby
FastGlassMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #9
Second the idea of a second opinion - even if the first is by HWH.

1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote