RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #1
RV Enthusiast

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Leveling jacks

I'm just wondering what other people have been doing with their rvs that don't have automatic leveling jacks installed. My RV dealer tells me that it would cost me $4-5,000 to buy them plus installation which is labor intensive and my motorhome isn't even worth that much. I'd never recover the cost of them I don't think if I decided to sell the coach. Is there an alternative?. What I'm really looking for is something that will stop the motorhome from rocking back and forth as we walk back and forth inside of it when we are parked.

Thanks.

Paul & Kim, & our little dogs Sophie and Dieter
1985 Fleetwood Southwind
Kalispell, Montana
PaulAchuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #2

Rocking back/forth....large thick wedge wheel chocks
Place behind tires then place RV in Reverse to put pressure on wheel chock \
Then place a wedge wheel chock in front of tires and kick/hammer in place as tight as you can BEFORE placing RV trans in park...use parking brake also

Leveling..same old process that has been used forever.....blocks under the tires as needed

Motorhomes due to size, suspension and lack of dual axles (where one can wedge between the two tires) make it difficult to stop 'rocking/motion'
Just the nature of the beast

You could carry extra support jacks and place them fore/aft of rear axle and rear of front axle to minimize movement

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #3
RV Enthusiast

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Rocking back/forth....large thick wedge wheel chocks
Place behind tires then place RV in Reverse to put pressure on wheel chock \
Then place a wedge wheel chock in front of tires and kick/hammer in place as tight as you can BEFORE placing RV trans in park...use parking brake also

Leveling..same old process that has been used forever.....blocks under the tires as needed

Motorhomes due to size, suspension and lack of dual axles (where one can wedge between the two tires) make it difficult to stop 'rocking/motion'
Just the nature of the beast

You could carry extra support jacks and place them fore/aft of rear axle and rear of front axle to minimize movement
The wheel chocks are a great idea. I never thought of that before. Thanks!

1985 Fleetwood Southwind
Kalispell, Montana
Old 09-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #4
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I carried 6 or 8 2x6s cut to several different lengths, 12 - 18 inches..

I didn't use them a lot. I had two bubble levels near the drivers seat, I could normally get reasonably level just by moving the MH a little forward/backward or side to side.

Another aspect of the levelers is stability. without the levelers you can fell it when someone is walking around inside. Not to much of a problem with two people..

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Paul,

We recently had some work done on our rig. Ford V-10 engine. While they were checking things out they noticed our "rear sway bar bushings" were worn off completely. Prior to this when driving down the road the rig rocked back and forth a lot.

They replaced them (roughly $200.) and I cannot believe the difference. This won't completely fix the rocking problem but it could be part of the cause.

Yes, jacks being put on would be around $5,000. We just had new ones put on. It was worth it but we plan to keep the rig. I have seen people put their rigs up on blocks, scissor jacks, and on bricks to stop the rocking. Not sure what will resolve this for you.

Good luck! Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:16 AM   #6

Our '88 Itasca did not have leveling jacks so it would rock when moving around inside. I had several of the large scissor jacks for trailers and would place these under the coach on the frame. A cordless drill with appropriate socket made it easy to extend them. Kinda a hassle for one night but worth it for a couple of days or longer. The jacks are affordable compared to hydraulic levelers.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAchuff View Post
The wheel chocks are a great idea. I never thought of that before. Thanks!

In addition to what beamisl suggested about the sway bar bushings, take a look at the entire suspension. Our Monaco rocks because the front coils, rear springs, control arm bushings and shocks are completely shot. It's on my list to replace first thing next year. I'm also going to add Firestone air bags to the rear.
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:27 PM   #8
RV Enthusiast

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLynes View Post
In addition to what beamisl suggested about the sway bar bushings, take a look at the entire suspension. Our Monaco rocks because the front coils, rear springs, control arm bushings and shocks are completely shot. It's on my list to replace first thing next year. I'm also going to add Firestone air bags to the rear.
I think our shocks are done for also it's on my to do list for sure. I don't know if I can add air bags to this unit but it's something I'm going to check out.

1985 Fleetwood Southwind
Kalispell, Montana
Old 09-28-2018, 12:29 PM   #9
RV Enthusiast

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Paul,

We recently had some work done on our rig. Ford V-10 engine. While they were checking things out they noticed our "rear sway bar bushings" were worn off completely. Prior to this when driving down the road the rig rocked back and forth a lot.

They replaced them (roughly $200.) and I cannot believe the difference. This won't completely fix the rocking problem but it could be part of the cause.

Yes, jacks being put on would be around $5,000. We just had new ones put on. It was worth it but we plan to keep the rig. I have seen people put their rigs up on blocks, scissor jacks, and on bricks to stop the rocking. Not sure what will resolve this for you.

Good luck! Lynne
Thanks Lynne, this is definitely worth checking out.

1985 Fleetwood Southwind
Kalispell, Montana
Old 09-28-2018, 12:36 PM   #10
RV Enthusiast

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I carried 6 or 8 2x6s cut to several different lengths, 12 - 18 inches..

I didn't use them a lot. I had two bubble levels near the drivers seat, I could normally get reasonably level just by moving the MH a little forward/backward or side to side.

Another aspect of the levelers is stability. without the levelers you can fell it when someone is walking around inside. Not to much of a problem with two people..
I carry these to level it out but it doesn't stop the rocking problem when we're inside walking around. It's really not a big deal, I just wondered what other folks did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A2FE1B10-6A01-4184-B0F6-A1DFBA1B4C97.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	365.0 KB
ID:	220813  

1985 Fleetwood Southwind
Kalispell, Montana
Old 09-28-2018, 04:58 PM   #11

Quote:
I think our shocks are done for also it's on my to do list for sure. I don't know if I can add air bags to this unit but it's something I'm going to check out.

You can add airbags to anything. There are universal brackets to fit all makes & models.
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:47 PM   #12

Quote:
I carry these to level it out but it doesn't stop the rocking problem when we're inside walking around. It's really not a big deal, I just wondered what other folks did.
As mentioned previously, after leveling with your blocks you could use some scissor or tripod type stabilizers. I would go for the scissor type because I think they would pack tighter in a storage bay. Or you could set it up like a lot of the travel trailers and bolt/weld them to the frame. I would be sure to have some blocking to go under the stabilizers as well. And I like that idea of running them up and down with the cordless drill.

Gary

All_talk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks