Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #1

Leveling Jacks question

Hi all, I am a first time rv owner and I just bought an 65 Winnebago Elandan 31 footer. My rig has a HWH series 100 leveling system with 4 hydrolic levers and on another box it has 4 red lights and 4 green lights.( I attached pics)
The jacks (4 of them are "swing down" and retract with double springs)
My question is how do I operate this system properly and can I upgrade to a automatic system and what would I need to do this?
Any help is appreciated greatly and Thanks in advance
Cappy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1111.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	40685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	40686  

Cappy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #2

oops, It is a 85 model, not a 65
Old 06-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Cappy58. I too have a series 100 on my 89 southwind. Unfortunately my manual is 250 miles away in my motorhome. I will try to remember how things work. In order to operate the system, the ignition switch needs to be on. The engine does not need to be running. The switch on the light panel needs to be on. The red lights indicate that the jacks are down. The green lights indicate that the coach is level. Unfortunately I don't remember if the lights are on or off when level. My level sensor doesn't work, so the lights don't work. I use a 4 foot level to check if mine is level. Here is a link to HWH that may help. You may be able to contact them for a manual to the 100 system.

HWH Customer Service

Hope this helped.
geno39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #4

I may have the manual, I will have to check
jml255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to whid1
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy58 View Post
Hi all, I am a first time rv owner and I just bought an 65 Winnebago Elandan 31 footer. My rig has a HWH series 100 leveling system with 4 hydrolic levers and on another box it has 4 red lights and 4 green lights.( I attached pics)
The jacks (4 of them are "swing down" and retract with double springs)
My question is how do I operate this system properly and can I upgrade to a automatic system and what would I need to do this?
Any help is appreciated greatly and Thanks in advance
Cappy
I own a 90 Vogue Prima Vista with 4 hydraulic leveling system with lights (red and green) I don't think you want to change them out the cost would be high the good side with the spring loaded jacks if the system fails by letting out the pressure from the hydraulic you can roll off the jacks and they will retract to the upward position and take it a place for repair. I like mine and by putting a level in the refrigerator freezer part your bus should be level
Old 06-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice and the link... I think I will keep them as is then as I have just finished reconditioning the hydrolic jacks. I just need to figure out what the lights mean and how to use them properly. I think I will set a level in the fridge and level the rig and after it is leveled, I will mount a permanent bubble level by the jack controls so I do not have to run back and forth from the jack levelers to the fridge each time.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to whid1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy58 View Post
Thanks for the advice and the link... I think I will keep them as is then as I have just finished reconditioning the hydrolic jacks. I just need to figure out what the lights mean and how to use them properly. I think I will set a level in the fridge and level the rig and after it is leveled, I will mount a permanent bubble level by the jack controls so I do not have to run back and forth from the jack levelers to the fridge each time.
when all the lights are green your bus should be level that's what it says in the book. you can usually you can tell by stepping out of the bus visually you can tell as well, as you know the fridge needs to be somewhat level to work properly in the older rigs. I don't know about the newer ones, but older ones do not have compressors, they are either propane while traveling or electric with shore power. I hope that helped Cappy58, if you need me to copy the manual I can send you a PDF file or you can google the manufacture and download the file as well. Let me know either way and good luck.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #8

On my coach, if its the same model, the lights are green when the jacks are up and red when they are down or not all the way into the travel position.
jml255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #9

My Dad's 92 Bounder has the same system and i have used many times in past years. A few things I could tell you is that it is best to put the rears down first as there is not much clearance to get them into the vertical position also be cautious to not lift the rear wheels off the ground as that is where the park brake is keeping you stationary. If you don't have enough traction at the rear wheels the rig is quite likely to fall forward off the jacks. Also probably a good idea to do a walk around to visually confirm that they have retracted. Because of the limited clearance sometimes they have difficulty going from the vertical to horizontal position and in a few instances I have had to roll forward a bit to get off the jacks.

I prefer the newer ones that go straight down buy I certainly couldn't justify the cost of the upgrade if yours are working fine.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On your system you are able to make each jack respond individually, on the newer rigs the jacks respond in pairs so there is not as much torquing which puts a lot of strain on the corners. Consder using them in pairs such as front or rear, left or right and just fine tune it individually. Have seen winshields pop when too much strain is placed on them.

Lot of experience on this site which can overwelm you.

Look into joining WIT.

Don G. WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #11

Wow! Thanks everyone! I think I need a manual for sure now as now I am afraid to tinker and experiment with the levelers for fear of shattering my windshield! lol
Whid1 i sent you a PM with my email if you can send a manual I would be forever gratefull.
This is a great forum! Lots of info.
Cheers! Cappy

Tags
jacks, leveling