Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2016, 10:28 AM   #127

Winnebago Owners Club
Looks good to my eye. Nothing scary in the picture.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2016, 06:12 PM   #128

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Me too, nothing scary about that.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:56 PM   #129

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Next time you do a photo shoot, stop laying down on the job! Looking good, all trim'd up!
Old 11-30-2016, 07:28 PM   #130

Another day of ignoring Jane. This morning adopted son (best thing about me brought two kids into the marriage as did I. Then we had one together, he's the oldest.) Adopted son mentioned he would sure like to get the posts for the pier in the new pond set today if we could. We agreed to sync our schedules after lunch, after best thing's eye doctor visit and his being a contractor obligations.

The posts are mostly short pieces of pipe left over from past jobs welded together. Today I welded on the base plates and we got out the hydraulic post hole digger with my custom thirty five foot hydraulic lines. The custom lines are only needed when we can't get the auger power unit close to the hole. Four holes 12" diameter and 5' deep. Sidehill and everything is heavy and I am old, not a fun day but a good one because we got it done.

The pressure was on to get it done because we got an inch of rain a couple of days ago and it meant 4' of water in the new pond. Friday it is supposed to start raining and by the time it is supposed to stop on Monday 3" might fall, filling the pond. It's a lot harder to dig those holes and set those posts 6' under water.

I hurt all over more than anywhere else. The difference between being 68 instead of 35 is the pain is in the joints instead of the muscles. When I was young the muscle pain was a good thing, it meant the next day I would be ready to do it all over again. I really don't like taking pills but tonight I bet good sense and desire for uninterrupted sleep will cause me to take one Aleive before bedtime.

Tomorrow echocardiogram for Best Thing about me and after she's back home and comfortable I will be able to get intimate with Jane, at last.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4646.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	425.1 KB
ID:	145735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4652.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	145736  

Old 12-01-2016, 05:26 AM   #131

Freightliner Owners Club
Harvey,
Geez, just had a post up and disappear right in the middle of typing it. Well, I think we all have had those moments where the mind and body are on different wavelengths. Mind saying "yes, we can do that , no problem" Body saying" Oh No , you can't do that without repercussions". Just be thankful that we can still do that, even though we hurt afterwards.
Frank
Old 12-01-2016, 06:47 AM   #132

Hi Harv. From a 78 year old, a great thread. Keep on plugging...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
...While installing the rockers and pushrods I slipped and split a knuckle just as pretty as you can....
Don't you remember that a mechanical job can't be finished without shedding a little blood?

Quote:
...I hurt all over more than anywhere else. The difference between being 68 instead of 35 is the pain is in the joints instead of the muscles.....
If you are like me, you are still 35 from the neck up
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:07 AM   #133

Winnebago Owners Club
Middle age is when the broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.

Old age is when the transfer is complete.

As long as you think like a 35 year old life is grand.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #134

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Another day of ignoring Jane. This morning adopted son (best thing about me brought two kids into the marriage as did I. Then we had one together, he's the oldest.) Adopted son mentioned he would sure like to get the posts for the pier in the new pond set today if we could. We agreed to sync our schedules after lunch, after best thing's eye doctor visit and his being a contractor obligations.

The posts are mostly short pieces of pipe left over from past jobs welded together. Today I welded on the base plates and we got out the hydraulic post hole digger with my custom thirty five foot hydraulic lines. The custom lines are only needed when we can't get the auger power unit close to the hole. Four holes 12" diameter and 5' deep. Sidehill and everything is heavy and I am old, not a fun day but a good one because we got it done.

The pressure was on to get it done because we got an inch of rain a couple of days ago and it meant 4' of water in the new pond. Friday it is supposed to start raining and by the time it is supposed to stop on Monday 3" might fall, filling the pond. It's a lot harder to dig those holes and set those posts 6' under water.

I hurt all over more than anywhere else. The difference between being 68 instead of 35 is the pain is in the joints instead of the muscles. When I was young the muscle pain was a good thing, it meant the next day I would be ready to do it all over again. I really don't like taking pills but tonight I bet good sense and desire for uninterrupted sleep will cause me to take one Aleive before bedtime.

Tomorrow echocardiogram for Best Thing about me and after she's back home and comfortable I will be able to get intimate with Jane, at last.
Looks like a good size pond. Will it be stocked? With what? Be nice to sit on the dock and dangle a line.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Looks like a good size pond. Will it be stocked? With what? Be nice to sit on the dock and dangle a line.
It will be stocked, probably with blue cat and sun fish. Full it will be approximately 100' X 100' X 16'. By the time the 1 to 10 year old grandkids of different families are ready it ought to be an awesome swimming hole.

Today I got the injectors back in. But the big hiccup of the day was the pipe going into the head under the intake. It's 3/8" steel tubing with compression fittings. When I pulled the head I felt some resistance and that's when I discovered the pipe. Evidently I straightened it out a little bit. But that little bit has turned out to be a nightmare to get back to its original shape and position due to extenuating circumstances, stuff like lines, brackets, etc. I've pretty well went through all of the wrong ways to do it so tomorrow the right way should show itself. The spare is blocking decent access to the area from underneath, never mind the rain and wet down there. But it might end up being the easiest way to get er dun.

The more I work on this the more I am impressed with the way it is put together.

I was given one of these, old boy had a year old Prevost and his toad was a suburban. Health issues ended his RV'ing days and the towbar ended up something left over he didn't want to deal with selling, gave it to me. That was a couple of years ago. Now it might be just what I need. Roadmaster BlackHawk 2 All Terrain, Non-Binding Tow Bar - Motor Home Mount - 2" Hitch - 10K Roadmaster Tow Bars RM-422

Today was wet with mid to high forties temps. When I got home first fire in the fireplace insert.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:28 AM   #136

Freightliner Owners Club
Harvey,
Remember that if it was easy, then anybody could do it. At least that is what I always tell myself when I get into one of those spots like you are in. Then I stop and think what I need to do to rectify the problem. Nice gift on the towbar.
Frank
Old 12-04-2016, 10:01 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Harvey,
Remember that if it was easy, then anybody could do it. At least that is what I always tell myself when I get into one of those spots like you are in. Then I stop and think what I need to do to rectify the problem. Nice gift on the towbar.
Frank
We're running late this morning, but it is Sunday. I've got a sliced onion playing tag with one Hatch chile and two jalapeņos and six slices of bacon. They're waiting for the eggs, I am too. When they're wore slick I'll tuck them into some 12 grain bread for reasons all my own. Breakfast for best thing about me and myself, lunch for me too.

It's all work when it comes to making things happen with Jane, life in general. We just have to decide if the work is something we can/want/must do. There are more fun things to do when it comes to work, blacksmithing for instance, than work on Jane. I see the work as a balance between what my OCD friends would do or have done and what my get'er dun sidekicks would do have done. With me doing the work I get to make the choice between what must be done and how it is done. My OCD'rs would machine the head like I did. The get'er dun buds would have replaced the head gasket and buttoned her back up and let it go at that. I thought about replacing the injectors but decided it is easy enough to do that if it turns out that I need to I can fairly easy.

The water line from the head that needs tweaking is a pain. Right now at home I'm resolving myself to pulling the spare and going in from the bottom. It needs to be done and sometimes just committing to doing it hard way or not is easier in the end.

Bread's in the toaster and the eggs are begging for the cheese. After all, a bacon egg pepper breakfast sandwich isn't right if there's not too much cheese on it.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:46 AM   #138

Freightliner Owners Club
Harvey,
I hope that you can go to the Meet and Greet in Kentucky, Can't wait to share stories with you. I see nothing wrong with having the head planed while it was out, that just makes sense, as for the injectors, unless they were giving you trouble, no use in replacing them, they last for many hundreds of thousands of miles. Now if you have to dig into them and replace one or two, then I would replace them all. As far as the water line goes, you might as well bite the bullet and pull the spare, sometimes the other ways just aren't feasible.
Those breakfast sandwiches sound yummy.
Frank
Old 12-05-2016, 07:42 AM   #139

Frank if you liked the sound of my breakfast you would absolutely die for what best thing about me made for supper. When I got home I had chicken breasts stuffed with jalapeņos wrapped with bacon.

Yesterday was frustration on a roll. Pulled the spare and that didn't give me better access. So I removed the fuel filter tucked in the way and that gave me better access but I still couldn't get the fitting to start. Four hours of trying and I finally decided to call it a day.

I'm going to pick up some new brass fittings this morning and a one inch box end that I will modify. I will make a tubing wrench out of the box end side that is only three inches long. I need the twelve point configuration and the biggest tubing wrench in my sets is 3/4" plus they are all six point.

Sometimes getting there isn't as much fun as it is supposed to be.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4658.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	146017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4660.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	146018  

Name:	IMG_4657.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	146019  
Old 12-05-2016, 08:21 AM   #140

Quote:
Frank if you liked the sound of my breakfast you would absolutely die for what best thing about me made for supper. When I got home I had chicken breasts stuffed with jalapeņos wrapped with bacon.

Yesterday was frustration on a roll. Pulled the spare and that didn't give me better access. So I removed the fuel filter tucked in the way and that gave me better access but I still couldn't get the fitting to start. Four hours of trying and I finally decided to call it a day.

I'm going to pick up some new brass fittings this morning and a one inch box end that I will modify. I will make a tubing wrench out of the box end side that is only three inches long. I need the twelve point configuration and the biggest tubing wrench in my sets is 3/4" plus they are all six point.

Sometimes getting there isn't as much fun as it is supposed to be.

At the risk of showing my ignorance: wonder if a guy could use a knuckle buster and cut that line off, which might let you get the end started, then throw on a compression coupler where you have room to work.