Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2019, 08:33 AM   #1625

Love your work table setup!

Glad to hear the cramps have departed.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2019, 11:33 PM   #1626

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
The new welding table works
I thought you were putting up a fence for short legged dogs, not that Dozer needs to be fenced.

Next time you set fence posts, or table legs in the ground you might look at this stuff.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sika-33-...6170/300934597

I set posts for my raspberry trellis with it and they are rock solid! You can do 2 posts with each bag, but you have to work FAST!! You mix it in the bag for 15 seconds then pour it into the hole and step back and watch it expand. I used a full bag for each post and then had a lot of trimming to do. It cuts easily with a sawzall. Sure is a lot easier on your back than concrete.

Here it is before and after trimming -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	801794EA-317F-425C-8CA4-11C7FEA46D8C.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	536.7 KB
ID:	258266   Click image for larger version

Name:	B129D3F4-06DD-4767-A7C6-9D7207A0EF63.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	468.2 KB
ID:	258267  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:43 AM   #1627

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks Barb for the Home Depot post foam idea. I have to try that.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:58 AM   #1628

Typical Texas weather yesterday, Curtis got flooded and we received 1/2”. He’s about a hundred miles southwest of us. We have more storms coming through this morning, maybe, maybe not.

One of our neighbors is from western Oregon. They’re having issues with our rain pattern, same annual rain fall, just theirs is every day all day long while ours comes in storms. They just said we’re five inches above normal so far this year, 32” as of today on the telly.

Barb, the foam works for small projects but it is too expensive for me. I already had the Portland cement and sand and gravel so the cost of the seven holes worth of cement was nil. Foam would be about a $100.00.

Today hopefully we start making progress on the structure. I’ve been fighting an air compressor situation for awhile now. I finally picked up a five horse eighty gallon two stage set up that was used. Hopefully it will go in easy this morning and I can move on. I don’t need a ton of air but I want to have it available when I do need it. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Between a comedy of errors and the nightmare of what can go wrong will go wrong this air thing has almost got me down. This morning I’m chasing down a pallet jack so I can move the new to me compressor into place. I hope that is the hard part.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:07 AM   #1629

Gulf Streamers Club
Hoping your air compressor works out as you need it. Was looking at the map this morning and I still might be able to drop by your place on my way back to Texas.

ron and pebbles
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:18 AM   #1630

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Hoping your air compressor works out as you need it. Was looking at the map this morning and I still might be able to drop by your place on my way back to Texas.

ron and pebbles
That would be awesome Ron. I guess I better get after it so you can see some progress.

Right after I hit the submit post button a couple of minutes ago I had a shower come through. Local weather was on the telly and she didn’t mention showers for me. So I grabbed the phone. One little spot of green, an alleged scattered shower appeared right over us.

Glenda is not too happy about the mess that will be made by the skid steer handling all of the steel components. The rain sorta kinda makes a mess messier, not messing around here, dead serious.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:55 PM   #1631

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
Glenda is not too happy about

O
the mess that will be made by the skid steer handling all of the steel components. The rain sorta kinda makes a mess messier, not messing around here, dead serious.
Dang Harvey! You know better than to mess with Glenda's messes. You’re gonna find yourself ankle deep in a mess of monumental proportions if you’re not careful
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:09 PM   #1632

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I thought you were putting up a fence for short legged dogs, not that Dozer needs to be fenced.

Next time you set fence posts, or table legs in the ground you might look at this stuff.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sika-33-...6170/300934597

I set posts for my raspberry trellis with it and they are rock solid! You can do 2 posts with each bag, but you have to work FAST!! You mix it in the bag for 15 seconds then pour it into the hole and step back and watch it expand. I used a full bag for each post and then had a lot of trimming to do. It cuts easily with a sawzall. Sure is a lot easier on your back than concrete.

Here it is before and after trimming -

The Power Company uses foam to set poles now a days.
I think it's their way of stealing dirt.
Because they shovel up the hole dirt and haul it off in their pickup.
But don't tell anyone!
Old 08-29-2019, 05:38 AM   #1633

Curtis is describing how they dig pole holes when there’s no buried utilities within a mile. If there are any buried utilities anywhere close they use a Vacutron. The dirt is cut with a pressure washer attached to a huge vacuum. The dirt is hauled away as slurry.

What is kewel is if you look at the hole after it’s dug it looks like they dug it with the old spade and spoon method. But the spade is almost as aggressive as a road auger on buried utilities like CATV and Telcom, subterranean congestion as I described it in a letter to a utility on why the hole was costing them five times as much.

You’re right Barb, Glenda does have neat nick issues. I on the other hand, don’t.

Yesterday was install the new to us air compressor. All was going well until it came to threading the pipe for the airlines. I was so proud of having a Rigid pipe threader with dies from the sixties, my dad’s from way back in the day. Hiccup was 1/2” die was wore out. Amazon is bringing new dies for the old threader tomorrow.

I’m probably going to go get the scissor lift today and get it on to the slab. We have a chance for rain every day for awhile so I had better get it in place while I can. The lift will go to 19’. However it is a narrow machine made to go through regular doorways. It will take a little getting used to being that high on such a small footprint. So far my buds have volunteered to watch me rather than participate, no fear of heights, just falling.

Leg cramp got me out of bed this morning, sleeping in a little late, might be trying to help me get up and out.

So today is another scatter shooter. Since the air line is frozen in place until Amazon delivers the replacement dies I can run the thirty amp circuit to the compressor. While I am at it I will run the 20 amp circuit for the power hammer and punch press, twoferring defined.

I need to get the scissor lift on the slab. And then there’s this burning in the soul to get started on the framing asap. The weather is supposed to be Septemberish, high eighties with the feel like in the high nineties-low one hundreds.

Am I lucky or what?
Old 08-29-2019, 06:13 AM   #1634

Harvey, I make a mess while doing projects. The projects is not completed until everything is cleaned up and put away. Then make area look like a competed project. Like Rails RV pads.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:53 AM   #1635

Sometimes you can have fun and never leave the house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5D349DA8-EE80-445A-821B-4641434A4607.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	563.6 KB
ID:	258366   Click image for larger version

Name:	C324F600-F2E2-4DCF-B91B-D5BDB45E56E2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	258367  

Old 08-29-2019, 10:32 AM   #1636

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
Shame on you, having all that fun, Lol. Those things are a hoot to play with.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:12 AM   #1637

I borrowed a bud’s pipe threader and the plumbing for the compressor is complete. Yesterday morning while unloading the scissor lift I discovered the skid steer had a low tire, This morning I feed 8 ten ga wires into a half into conduit and hopefully the electrical feeding the compressor and the punch press will be done. I’m using five ten’s for the 30 amp circuit for the compressor and tree ten’s for the twenty amp circuit for the punch press. I’m using double ten’s for the 30 amp because I have the ten’s and don’t have the 8 gauge wire on hand.

I’m going to be using a lot of screws in addition to the welding on the framework. I have the punch press and it is a kazillion times easier than a drill press for holes in steel.

The leg cramps were back this morning doing their “it’s time to get up and get after it cowboy” thing. I got really involved in a couple of projects yesterday and I believe I didn’t drink all of the liquids I needed. I will try to do better today.

Glenda is going to be pickling cucumbers today from our garden. She’s adding jalopenas and okra just for me.. Pickle juice to order!!!! I might get me some leg cramps just for the excuse of drinking me some custom pickle juice.

Today’s going to be a good day. Squall line is coming our way first thing and then it will be nice and humid, feel like will be in the yuk category.

All y’all in Florida batten up.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:41 AM   #1638

For some silly reason I got it into my head that the first of September would be a good starting date for the barndominium’s framework. It worked out great because I had so many little projects to tidy up. The compressor is working like a fire hose in a water gun fight. Glenda was using the air gun to clean off the mower last night and it would come on, catch up, and shut off while she was doing it. I was impressed.

I have put off doing the trimming with the string trimmer for too long. Yesterday I cowboy’d up and got it done. One of the reasons I have avoided it was because for some unknown gawdawful reason it bothers my left foot when I do it. The same left foot that is still tender from the fall off the truck a week or so ago. When we came in about dark thirty last night I couldn’t put any weight on it without pain. This morning is better. I figure it’s the arthritis. The doc when he looked at it after the fall said someday we’re going to have to do surgery on it because the arthritis has it messed up.

Next street over has four or five kiddos with small dirt bikes. Yesterday they got bored with running up and down their road and decided to use the right of way out front along the highway because the driveways made jumps. The law of natural progression happened and it didn’t take long before they had stretched out their track to the front of our place. I was at the back when Glenda came down and told me she had jumped them and told them to not tear up in front of our place. If they come out today to play I’ll go over to the neighbors and volunteer to use the skid steer to make them a track on their property so they can have the noise and destruction on their lawn and not everyone else’s. We’ll find the cut of their jib real quick with that offer.

Hopefully this afternoon I will be able to post some pictures of progress. It is supposed to be a beautiful day here.