Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2019, 05:25 PM   #1723

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrip View Post
Guess the final result will be a surprise to all of us. [emoji1]
Including Glenda and Harvey! LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2019, 07:27 PM   #1724

Forty feet can feel like forever some days
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C4F75912-3CF0-4DAB-A72F-CF572F8C49BB.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	571.7 KB
ID:	262100  
Old 10-01-2019, 10:26 PM   #1725

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Dang, Harvey! Looks like forever! Rail!
Old 10-02-2019, 05:16 AM   #1726

I think I see the end out there someplace.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:55 AM   #1727

We had a nice sunset last night.

The forty footer is almost twice as long as ridge poles, 21.5 ft long. It’s too long to be moved into the shop for welding in the shade. And it’s too heavy to be flipped over for welding by this old man. I don’t know what I would have done without the tractor. And I still haven’t figured out how I’m going to get it maneuvered into place. It will be interesting. It’s too long to be maneuvered around to come in from the west side. It has to come in from the south side. I just haven’t figured out how and where.

The three south side rafters are going to be 34’ 9” long. They’ll be tough to do also. The good thing is it won’t be so hot after today.

The hummingbirds haven’t showed up this year,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F61D9433-761B-4477-ABC8-D9CD2DD5E7DE.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	262129  
Old 10-02-2019, 06:21 AM   #1728

Gulf Streamers Club
Sky hook.

ron and pebbles

ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:11 AM   #1729

Ron I wish I had one!!! But I heard they had issues and were taken off the market after adverse litigation. But we did get the trailer lift working again. Now I have, scissor lift, trailer lift, and scaffolding to work the heights. I’m still a little nervous though.

I’ve been working on that forty footer, been a bear with the sun beating down. I’m just not the man I used to be when it comes to working in the heat. The forty footer is very heavy and awkward. Setting it in place will be an interesting operation.

The weather has changed for the better with it cooling down. Yesterday the feel like was upper nineties and we’re looking at the promise of highs in the seventies and eighties next week.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:42 AM   #1730

Gulf Streamers Club
Does look like summer may finally be over here too. Starting next Monday, no highs into the nineties. About time.

ron and pebbles
Old 10-03-2019, 08:03 AM   #1731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
Ron I wish I had one!!! But I heard they had issues and were taken off the market after adverse litigation. But we did get the trailer lift working again. Now I have, scissor lift, trailer lift, and scaffolding to work the heights. I’m still a little nervous though.

I’ve been working on that forty footer, been a bear with the sun beating down. I’m just not the man I used to be when it comes to working in the heat. The forty footer is very heavy and awkward. Setting it in place will be an interesting operation.

The weather has changed for the better with it cooling down. Yesterday the feel like was upper nineties and we’re looking at the promise of highs in the seventies and eighties next week.
Boy I hope that cooler weather is pushing eastward! I have been moving tools, equipment, and trailers to our new property; in addition to building a storage shed AND preparing all my tools and RV for a month-long gig that starts Monday. It has been VERY unusually dry and OMG! HOT this summer. There are times when I am convinced that fiery orb in the sky is trying to kill me!

Several years back I had a long heavy ridge beam to set. I ended up using a boom pole that I sleeved to extend it a bit. We got the ridge beam balanced on the chain of the boom pole, then pushed one end of the "see-saw" down and swung the other end on top of the end pole. We had temporarily bolted a piece of flat stock on either side of the pole to keep it in place while I took the boom to the other end to lift it into place. I had to put down some blocks to drive the skid-steer onto to get the height I needed out of the pole, but we were able to set it into place once I had the reach. That was a lot less scary than the timber frame ridge I set just a couple years ago that I ended up "tossing" with the bucket of the skidder.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:27 AM   #1732

Yesterday I picked up some round galvanized posts for the porch. Miss Glenda didn’t like the idea of my welded purlin posts on her porch. It was a five hour round trip because I got to spend some quality time at a real neat hid in the woods in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma salvage yard. I posted some pictures of a couple of the treasures I found over on the Good Morning thread.

But we did get the gin poles and block and tackles up on the ridge beam posts. I went up first by myself to attach them but the fear of losing the attachment and tearing up the concrete caused me to get the neighbor up in the scissor lift with me. Today we should have the beam up and ready for rafters. The weather is finally cooling off and that will help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	91E12CCD-BF52-4B55-B648-CC77045A27A3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	262372   Click image for larger version

Name:	B211F4E4-70A8-448F-8282-2133D8BE320A.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	262373  

Old 10-04-2019, 05:38 AM   #1733

The plan is secure D rings to the top of the ridge beam. That is the shortest attachment method because there is limited space for the beam on top of the posts with the block and tackle assemblies.

The beam will be lifted up to block and tackle height with the skid steer and boom. I will be on the scaffolding behind the post in the middle. Neighbor will be on the scissor lift at the other post, again behind the post. We will pull the beam up together. The beam should automatically land on top of the posts when it clears the top of the posts. If there is a failure we will behind the fall path and be safe.

This is one of those lots of preparation makes all the difference projects.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #1734

Ridge beam was in place before lunch

Nothing but a thing😰
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	56732FC0-E231-4455-BA5A-9FC7C2B6908D.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	262411  
Old 10-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #1735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
Ridge beam was in place before lunch

Nothing but a thing[emoji27]

Good job.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #1736

Gulf Streamers Club
Successful deployment and no injuries. Job well done.

ron an pebbles