Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:52 PM   #169

One of the projects we've done on/with Jane is the new fridge. When I first pulled the radiators and started digging in motor compartment the alternator shorted out to the frame, just a flash. The same day the fridge stopped working.

I believe the voltage spike probably blew a fuse because I haven't been able to get the fridge to turn on, that's all I've done, turn it on and then when the error cord comes on I turn it off for another day. Tomorrow is that other day. Add trouble shooting the fridge to the schedule, gawd I hate schedules.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2017, 09:11 PM   #170

Harv! Just found your thread. Great reading! You have been very busy!

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:13 PM   #171

Today was a mixed bag. It seems all of the weather puter programs said basically the same thing. If the front stayed south of us we would have a totally yucky day. If it migrated to our north then we would have a warm yucky day. Today was wet and cold.

Then there was a rat thing. About twenty years ago I was working in the front yard and I heard this blood curdling scream from the back yard. I ran around to the backyard to see what could have caused such terrorized sound from the best thing about me. I was prepared for anything. What I found was best thing about me standing on top of a patio table screaming because Boots the cat was trying to give her a still breathing mouse. He was being nice and she was having none of it.

I've been working in the engine compartment and have ignored the rest of the coach. When best thing about me would ask me to I would glance around for signs of mice since the coach is parked right next to the hay barn. I never saw a thing. She came out today to start getting the living area of the coach ready and the first thing she found was rat droppings. My day went downhill from there.

But before the rat droppings event I pressure tested the trans cooler welds. That worked out great. Well, there was one hiccup. I put the cap on one side and then with the air set at 40 lb placed the blower tip on the other, squeezed the trigger and nothing. So I removed the blower tip. Oops!!! I made the mistake of standing in front of the line when I removed the blower, covered with trans oil, all over, didn't know it could hold so much or spit it out so viciously. I hooked up the air and soaked the fittings with a soap solution. I might not be good but I can get lucky.

Some time ago someone told me the thereaboutstexas.com website was down. Last night I verified it was dead and contacted the hosting company. They got it back up today. When we're on the road it's our blog.

Tomorrow will be a new day. Progress will be made. And hopefully the rats and mice in our home will eat all of the treats we left out for just them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	149111   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	149112  

Old 01-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #172

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
We have all had those kinds of things happen, some of us more than once, cause we forget what happened last time, lol. The fittings look good my friend, nice repair job that is permenant.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #173

One of the issues I'm having is some stuff has to go in before other stuff. And with all that stuff going stuff sometimes happens. And we all know when stuff happens the fun begins.

Now I understand that the reason Jane overheated was because radiator had issues and that caused the head gasket to get issues too. I've got a new radiator and the head was machined dead flat for the new head gasket. So over heating shouldn't be an issue from now on.

But, huge but, size of Texas, if overheating does happen I am going to have the misting system in place for relief. Originally the idea was to have the water streamed in front of the turbo radiator where it would cool off the trans cooler and then the water radiator. However, I think that if I took advantage of the radiator stack I could shoot the water into the water radiator where it is hottest for best results. I'm doing that.

It would have been done today but there was this football game on this afternoon and I didn't have any JB Weld at the farm. So tomorrow the jets are expoxied into place aimed at the top of the water radiator and then we get to install the radiator pack. The end is in sight and I don't hear any train whistles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	149211   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	149212  

Name:	IMG_0097.jpg
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	149213   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0098.jpg
Size:	524.7 KB
ID:	149214  

Old 01-16-2017, 09:33 PM   #174

The radiator pack is installed. I had bud drop by to help because I am not the man I used to be, not even close. We got the tractor in position, picked up the radiator pack, and then decided we could do it without the tractor, went in like grass through a goose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg
Size:	504.1 KB
ID:	149306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0113.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	149307  

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	479.9 KB
ID:	149308  
Old 01-16-2017, 09:43 PM   #175

The previous owner made a point about the coach overheating on hot days in the mountains out west. And the coach really overheated with us on even not so hot days in the mountains out west. So even with the new radiator and the repaired head gasket I want, need a back up plan. This is the plumbing for the two misters that shoot water at the water radiator via command from the dashboard.

Last night I couldn't find any J B Weld anywhere. This afternoon while looking for a special screw for the interior I found an unopened pack of J B Weld in a storage box that I searched at least twice yesterday.

Don't laugh, you will get old and it will happen to you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0102.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	365.2 KB
ID:	149309   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	149310  

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	526.6 KB
ID:	149311  
Old 01-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #176

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
Nice job. That should keep everything well within the good temp range.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:49 AM   #177

No good deed goes unpunished. I haven't figured out what the good deed is yet but I hope it makes someone's day, week, or even better, life.

If you look in the maze of grease and tubing plus stuff you will see the end of the tubing that gave me such fits reinstalling the head. If you look at the other photo you will see the other end of the punishment tubing going into the air compressor.

Yesterday afternoon as I was putting in the antifreeze best thing about me was watching for any signs of leaks. 90% in we hear the pitter patter of antifreeze hitting foam board on the ground under the coach. It was coming out away from the radiator and closer to the tranny. The punishment tube has a crack. I'm so lucky I found it when I did. Because before the antifreeze stopped dripping out of the punishment tube it started raining. In fact it has rained off and on ever since, another wave on the radar fast approaching as the fingers shed tears on the keyboard.

Worst case scenario I get to replace the whole punishment tube. Not so bad will be it comes out easy and I can patch it.

Best thing about me is walking on air and adrenaline because she has the bathroom forward looking like I never even used it for the hallway between greasy dirty motor compartment and plain old muddy outside. Bud went through the drawers and every single one of them now works just like the cabinet department at the factory intended.

Little trick for the mentally challenged like myself that find perverse pleasure in fixing it ourselves, even when it's on mud and grasse beside the haybarn. Those purple 4' X 8' sheets of purple foam board are great for laying down underneath the coach when doing the deed. Rocks on the ground lose their power to puncture and you can find stuff that falls a lot easier.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0126.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	149437   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	149438  

Old 01-18-2017, 10:02 AM   #178

Best thing about me read the above entry and suggested that I misspoke. What I meant was that she had the coach from the bathroom to the windshield clean as a whistle. You would never know that yesterday morning there were dirty tarps on the floor for the road very traveled from the door (mid entry) to the motor area (diesel pusher).
Old 01-18-2017, 12:56 PM   #179

Some photos of what I was talking about with the interior of the coach.

The crunching sound in the background is yours truly eating some words, tasty.

The tube leaked because of a wear issue with throttle frame. Evidently if I had not ran into the issue at this time it would have been a total disaster later. Just think about the fun we would have had if the motor overheated and the leak was closer to the tranny than the radiator and by the head. I can see a total meltdown of every one and thing involved.

So I'm in the blessing counting mode. The part can be ordered in by Friday and only cost about $75.00. However, I welded it and then covered the area with a layer of silicone bronze so I won't wear through there ever again. Now it's time to get in where my hands were never meant to go and do things I wouldn't wish on anyone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EB0F6156-DF25-43FA-9B76-9960DC56C847.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	149473   Click image for larger version

Name:	03269303-5C28-49EE-BD69-32270022D834.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	149474  

Name:	FDF861F7-6026-410D-A722-5B54EC55575D.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	149475   Click image for larger version

Name:	43977767-7C14-4E2C-BE50-C5E78CFE89EA.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	149476  

Old 01-18-2017, 04:20 PM   #180

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The front of your motorhome, is configured exactly like ours, couch, chairs, drawers the same.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:24 PM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatStab View Post
The front of your motorhome, is configured exactly like ours, couch, chairs, drawers the same.
I'm wanting to remove the barrel chair and put in a computer desk. Have you seen anyone do that?
Old 01-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #182

I've suspected for sometime that we need a new converter. When it came time to attempt to start Jane the battery had only enough power to turn it over slowly. I put a charger on it. That allowed me to spin it over enough, slowly, to get the injector lines dripping diesel. I tightened them up and will attempt to start it again in the morning when the battery is fully charged.