Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2020, 06:14 AM   #2017

My solution was to put a windshield sprayer pump with two nozzles, one on the right side, and one on the left side of my old truck, just behind the cab, in front of the topper. Aimed them to spray out and up. Filled a two gallon reservoir with water and a little bit of dish soap. If someone sat there, and wouldn't allow me to change lanes, or sat in the left lane preventing anyone from passing either of us, but trailing me, I just hit the sprayer for two or three seconds. It's amazing how fast they would move! I especially liked doing it to convertibles, or perfectly detailed cars with fancy wax jobs. I only did it if the drivers were jerks and stayed with me exactly as I sped up and slowed down. Worked for me! Laura says I have a mean streak . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2020, 06:30 AM   #2018

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That's a clever idea, Scot! Who knows how many accidents you prevented with a little dish soap. You could also do it low tech and fill a garden type pump sprayer with soap and water.

I'd probably just whimp out in those situations and slow down to the point that the idiot would move ahead. But then I’ve never driven anything larger than my 24’ Class C.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:05 AM   #2019

I call these a "Remora", like the little fish that hooks onto a shark and tags along. They either get alongside or just behind, and won't go away even when you change your speed a lot. I tend to think and want to act like the vigilante of the highway, but my DW cautions me that there are some unpleasant people out there now (politically correct term )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
... “did you ever have those drivers who found your blind spot their favorite place in the whole world?”....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:11 AM   #2020

I know in Texas and Oklahoma the left lane is for passing only. Also it’s agains the law to NOT yield to someone merging over from the LEFT lane to their right.

Most of the time I’ve found the errant drivers focused on a spot fifty feet down the road with a death grip on the wheel.

The windshield washer could only be improved upon by the sticker on the back of the vehicle saying, BEWARE! DRIVER AND PASSENGER CHEW AND SPIT!”.

We drove out my old paper route in Cottonwood with dad the other day. It wasn’t near as long or as hard as I remember it.

I took a two mile walk with Dozer yesterday. He did good. Me? I hurt.

It’s boring weather here, but I kinda sorta like it.

The hot water heater repair is still working.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:14 PM   #2021

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
The windshield washer could only be improved upon by the sticker on the back of the vehicle saying, BEWARE! DRIVER AND PASSENGER CHEW AND SPIT!”.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:50 AM   #2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
I had a Michigan State Police stay in my blind spot for miles. When I finally had to change lanes with my directional signal. Got pulled over. For cutting in front of officer to close. Let off with a warning after I ask why she was staying in my blind spot for miles.

Once while driving across the country, I had an officer stuck to my bumper for miles on I-40 passing by Shamrock, TX. I knew he was there so I was driving accordingly; cruise control set 1 mph below the limit, turn signals for lane changes, the works. I remember vividly moving into the middle lane after signaling to pass a string of slow-moving traffic in the right lane. I saw the lead vehicle in the slow pack and noted that it was a canary yellow Ford Pinto, I hadn't seen one in years. It had rained earlier as the road was still a little wet, the officer had followed closely behind as I moved into the center lane. Shortly after, a semi just behind the Pinto signals that he's coming over; there seemed to be plenty of room in front of me for him to do so. The instant his left tires crossed the yellow line, the blues began flashing behind me. I pulled over and received a citation for "following too closely". I told the officer there was plenty of room ahead for the truck to merge, and that I was not following anyone as the truck was coming into my lane. He told me that since it had rained previously, the conditions warranted more distance. Then told me I could tell it to Judge Haven Dysart in 6 weeks, as he handed me the $110 ticket... Along this stretch of road, there was literally an out of state car pulled over every mile or so; of course I wasn't going to drive back to Shamrock Texas from my home then in Tennessee to attend a court hearing. I was a college student and $110 was a pile of cash back then.

I paid the ticket and thought it was the end of it until 5 years later when I was arrested after a day on the lake with my girlfriend and some friends. Turns out in the fine print there was a statement that there was an additional $25 fee for "mail-in processing". TN and TX are "reciprocal states" (read extortion buddies) so my license was suspended for not paying the additional $25.

Fast forward another 10 years (15 total since the original ticket) and I receive a notice in the mail; I am now living in St Pete, FL. The notice is a bill for $65 for an unpaid "head injury fee" in Shamrock, TX. Apparently something added when the $25 was paid in 1994. I decided to call the court clerk in Shamrock and explain the whole situation. The phone rang and a very ancient sounding voice on the other end answered. I told the entire story, and at the end the voice on the other end of the line says "Son, this IS Judge Haven Dysart. If you don't want to have your license suspended again, you'd better send a check for $65." The only thing I could think to say at the moment was "Why is the judge answering the phone?" His response was "When can I expect your check?" I sent it that day...
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:30 PM   #2023

This was a fifteen minute job this evening. I pulled measurements on the middle bolt holes in the dish and the two studs on the spare tire mount. Both of them were the same. 3 1/4” center to center, weld 1/4” bolts to the lug nuts, attach dish.

Two hiccups, the lug nuts can only be tightened up now with a 3/4” box end wrench. I haven’t figured out what I’m going to do have the nuts holding the dish blend into the scene.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9800F3D6-CD25-4923-A653-7942159CB2CA.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	539.3 KB
ID:	273175   Click image for larger version

Name:	9B1905D6-4A57-4141-98A5-C7BD6BBE9264.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	273176  

Old 01-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #2024

couple of acorn nuts painted same colour should work. looks good

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:00 PM   #2025

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Harvey, with your welding experience, perhaps get a bit artistic.....
Maybe take a couple wing nuts and modify them with wings bent like birds in flight. Paint 'em black and you have 3d birds against the Arizona sky.
Edit: got to thinkin'.....the only downside would be where the nut comes to a stop, the birds could be upside-down, or sideways. I dunno, you may be able to tighten against a bushing of some sort, both to protect the painting, and have enough "give" to tighten so the birds look right also.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:10 PM   #2026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Harvey, with your welding experience, perhaps get a bit artistic.....
Maybe take a couple wing nuts and modify them with wings bent like birds in flight. Paint 'em black and you have 3d birds against the Arizona sky.
Great minds think alike

Sunday I will show the painter the dish on the spare tire and explain to him that it should fit any Tracker, Suzuki same model, and even Jeeps with the five lug wheel pattern.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:12 PM   #2027

Quote:
Originally Posted by olcarguy View Post
couple of acorn nuts painted same colour should work. looks good
The chances of matching the color is small. So I’m thinking I could use the nuts and paint something on the dish and match the nuts to that color.

Time will tell..
Old 01-24-2020, 08:15 PM   #2028

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Harv, I edited my post, got to thinking about it further.[emoji3]
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:41 PM   #2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Harv, I edited my post, got to thinking about it further.[emoji3]
The idea of painting the birds on the dish with the nuts matching in color will handle that I think.

The big thing will be getting enough clear Rustoleum on it to protect the painting.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:51 PM   #2030

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
The idea of painting the birds on the dish with the nuts matching in color will handle that I think.

The big thing will be getting enough clear Rustoleum on it to protect the painting.
Before you spray the clear on, talk to the person who painted it, to make sure the two paints are compatible! Last thing you want to do is spray clear on and it bubbles up the artwork!
W.D. and olcarguy were both thinking the same as me! Great minds think alike! Rail!