Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2017, 05:17 AM   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
Told DH to pick a chore off the job list. He decided to dig out the old caulk in the kitchen. This is where the ceramic tile meets the linoleum back splash. I was on clean up detail. He had to make a hardware store run for some new caulk. It came out great annd looks amazingly fresh and clean(white). Cross that off his to do list.Tomorrow he goes to the dentist for the start of his root canal work. I may have goofed in scheduling his colonoscopy for this Friday. He is restricted from taking anything for pain. Only Tylenol can be taken. He spent saturday putting in three outlets in the sound booth at church.Prior he did tearout and installed four sheets of dry wall. Next he has to put in a few short 2x4 to attach white beadboard paneling to it. I told him to take his construction mess out to the garbage. It was blocking a side door(fire exit). Last week he regrouted his ceramic bathroom at the house. Little indoor projects for the winter time. I went up in the attic the other day and helped DH tidy up and put many tools away. He calls me a neat freak. DD says I am OCD. Any way it looks much better. Glad to read that all are doing well. Had a good check up at my Oncologist.
Actually, it's CDO. Same as OCD, but the letters are in the correct alphabetical order!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2017, 07:00 AM   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
Meant to post this in the good mornig thread. That's what I get for posting when it is late at night and I am tired.
Been there, done that.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:03 PM   #283

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Actually, it's CDO. Same as OCD, but the letters are in the correct alphabetical order!
Old 03-10-2017, 08:20 PM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
I just shared that with my oldest granddaughter. We decided she wasn't OCD, she just liked things right.

Our local Walmart has an OCD working in the garden department. I love watching him check people out. First he arranges the goods and then he very very methodically runs them through the cash register. The first time I saw him do his stuff I had to stand there and laugh. "How in the heck did you get hired here?" Was all I could say.

I'm not like that myself.......
Old 03-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #285

Lil Blue is about to become an appendage of Jane's. And one of the known issues Lil Blue had was a leaking gas tank. She dripped gas if filled over half full.

Yesterday I was a surgeon of sorts. Lil Blue assumed the position and I removed the skid plate and then the fuel tank. It wasn't painless for either of us. Evidently she spent some winter time in rust land. I only had one bolt break off but it took serious effort with the impact wrench to remove the big bolts. The small ones had to be removed with vice grips. A couple of the smaller hoses had to be cut to free the tank because the hoseclamps were rusted up so bad.

The new tank appears to be an accurate replacement. But just in case this partnership with Jane is long lasting I'm going to Rhino Liner the tank's exterior to reduce the likelihood of rust out in the immediate future. One of the disadvantages of working on stuff like you're going to own it for a long time is you have to prepare to have to do it again. What goes up might have to come down and then be put back up again.

The rust problems seems to be the rocker panels underneath the doors and some of the stuff like brackets and bolts attaching to the frame at the back.
One of the things we want to have on Lil Blue is the two bike rack. We have this one of unknown heritage that I'm going to use. It's set up for use with a 1 1/4" receiver hitch. Friday I made the circuit of friendly scrap yards to see if I could find any old receiver hitch to modify for Lil Blue. I had no luck there but a call to a bud gave me a free UHaul hitch 1 1/4" receiver that is substantial that will work wonderfully. One of the advantages of the UHaul brand is they over engineer them, always a good thing, and they make them adaptable to different applications. I feel like the guy who is watching for pennies in the parking lot and finds two quarters, not glued down for grins even.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0665.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	154550   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0664.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	154551  

Old 03-12-2017, 11:57 AM   #286

Nice job, good idea with the rhino liner
Old 03-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
Nice job, good idea with the rhino liner
Best thing about me's idea. The rusted out rockers and exposure to too many car shows on telly where they cut out rust made her assume the floorboards would be gone. She figured I would be replacing those and then Rhino Lining for sound deadening.

The floor boards are perfect but we will Rhino Line inside and outside for sound deadening. Lil Blue is very loud over forty and at 65 turning around three grand, lot of buzzing and banging going on at speed.

One bolt broke holding the fuel tank skid plate. Another couldn't be broken loose and I twisted off the skid plate support it held in frustration. So the plan right now is to make a new skid plate with surplus aluminum that attaches to the frame and the receiver hitch. Fast and easy would be to weld stuff in but I know that when I do invariably I will have to go back in and a welding machine might not be available. Zippers, it's a philosophy.

One of the reasons I'm seeing so long term on Lil Blue is the little but important stuff works. Cruise, perfect operation. Electric mirrors, ditto. Upholstery and interior plastics, almost perfect. Ride is a little rough and she is jerky on the road but I attribute that to the short wheelbase and stiff suspension. She is new enough, 2000, that she has airbags and a pretty decent safety rating that year too.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #288

Harv, Lil blue is sounding like he/she has a bright future.

There are plenty of them in town here in Yuma, saw 2 or 3 driving around today as we ran some errands. Each time I think of you guys.

It will be fun to get out together here in the desert next year.

L.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:53 AM   #289

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You might want to consider using a rust converter i.e. Chassis Saver to coat the underside. I have a motorhome that has some rust on the undercarriage, and after investigating several alternatives, I decided that overall it's the best alternative.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #290

Yes Ken that is a good idea. I used one from Tractor Supply that works real well. Just brush it on. Can't recall the name of it.

L.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:24 PM   #291

This came highly recommended by some buds. I got the last one at the local Sherwin Williams store. Basically wire brush off the loose rust and apply a coat of rust preservative. Let it sit over night and then paint.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0666.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	154714  
Old 03-14-2017, 04:47 AM   #292

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I looked at the Ospho product. The reason I decided on Chassis Saver is that I would not have to go back and paint. Remove loose rust, spray on Chassis Saver and done. One less time crawling under the motorhome. At 72, that's significant.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
I looked at the Ospho product. The reason I decided on Chassis Saver is that I would not have to go back and paint. Remove loose rust, spray on Chassis Saver and done. One less time crawling under the motorhome. At 72, that's significant.
I can appreciate not wanting to get under vehicles as a mature (old) man. I'll be 69 in a couple of months and I hope to minimize future work in the underworld. But the big reason I went with the two step process is I have the bed liner product and want to use it as the primary defense against corrosion. This is the best step one of the two step process in my situation. It also makes the installation of the bed liner product easier.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:18 PM   #294

One of the constants of doing this rehab thing as your thing is how far do you take it? Take replacing the gas tank in Lil Blue while repairing some of the rust damage to the body and installing the receiver hitch for hauling the bikes. The original tank lasted sixteen years. I won't have Lil Blue sixteen years from now. But since I have the stuff and can do it, heck, new gas tank gets two coats of bedliner.

The drum beat in the back of my head is "three years". But heck, I'll be as old as Gordon will be in three years, same age now, chances are most likely will be the same age then. So I better think six years since my years are now Gordon years.

Then there's the old always in trouble part of me with projects like this. I could build a trick set of bumpers using bent pipe, I can bend pipe. But, three years, well, six years........

The attached picture is 1" schedule forty pipe bent by me and powder coated by an artist at Quality Powder Coating in Dallas.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1067.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	154956