Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2017, 08:17 AM   #337

Winnebago Owners Club
Tools are always a guess. However I when you are in Yuma there should be no problem. You are close to Tim, Lloyd and myself so between the 4 of us there should be a great selection of eclectic tools. What "we" don't have will be at Harbor Freight!

I have the same dilemma about throwing away those treasures that I may need in the future. It has happened that I need something, know I have it somewhere, cannot find it, go buy a new one, install it and then find the one I saved. So about half the time I am buying a new part that I know I have. P.S. sometimes I don't find the part I know I have. Either Janet used it or more likely hid it on me!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #338

Yesterday was one of those going sideways instead of forward days. The good thing was I finally figured out the tool thing. The concept is going to be like going into Sears on sale day and buying packages of tool sets. The difference is the tools will be ones that I own. I want to have the tools but I'm not going to plan on having a ton of them with me just because I have them.

Yesterday the new harmonic balancer came in and the clutch package arrived just now for Lil Blue. That means tomorrow I will get after pulling the motor, replacing the rear seal, and putting the back end together with the new clutch etc. All that is left in the parts department still out is the front seal. That's coming in Tuesday.

Gordon I'm the world's worst when it comes to having the right tool and not being able to find it. That's why this tool box project is so important to me. I do like the idea of blaming Janet, might borrow it even. When something is misplaced, "Janet!!!!!!"

I strongly suspect a cold front is leaving Asia headed our way. Every bone that has been broken and every muscle that was ever pulled is screaming out today.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:07 AM   #339

Going to look today at some of my tool box collection, inherited a big stack from Dad after he passed. There has got to be some setup that will work in Ms Prissy.

I agree, I just need a good selection so I can "make do" to get us through a problem on the road.

Good luck with the engine work Harvey. Lil Blue will be like new soon.

L.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:22 AM   #340

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here where my daughter lives just north of Seattle there is a tool library that loans out donated tools. http://neseattletoollibrary.org

O'Reilly Auto Parts does as well. Home Page | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I wouldn't carry a seldom used tool, like a torque wrench, that I could borrow, but my cargo capacity is more limited than yours.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:15 AM   #341

Yesterday was a veg day. I watched golf and David DeSpain interviews, a couple of movies. I don't do it often but sometimes I take veg days off.

Barb, my torque wrenches are going to be on the bus.. That's because torque wrenches are like underwear for some of us, lender nor borrower be. I was raised, surrounded by even, a culture that defined us by our tools and how we used them. In fact my mantra in business was, "the choice is fools or tools. I will take tools every time." I preferred work where I could do it by myself. However, I do take advantage of auto part store tool loan for some stuff.

I have worked through the tool selection mentally. It's going to be okay. I think I'm going to have room for the pin nailer, framing gun, sawsall, etc. Dad has ripped into his travel trailer and found some water damage. He's pretty upset about it but I think I've convinced him that it is nothing that I can't repair. We can do this because we will have tools.

It's going to be another great day.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:25 AM   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Here where my daughter lives just north of Seattle there is a tool library that loans out donated tools. http://neseattletoollibrary.org

O'Reilly Auto Parts does as well. Home Page | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I wouldn't carry a seldom used tool, like a torque wrench, that I could borrow, but my cargo capacity is more limited than yours.
This is a really good idea
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:26 AM   #343

Winnebago Owners Club
Harvey - absolutely on the sawsall and torque wrench. Last winter was without the nailers and I could have used them. For sure the impact driver, hammer drill, skill saw and reciprocating saw. Don't leave home without them.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:33 AM   #344

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Use my torque wrench all the time. Have cordless impacts, drills and don't forget the angle grinder. Snap ring pliers, tubing flare kit, taps and die sets both standard and metric. That's just a few of the tools that I carry, and have used for one project or another.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:16 AM   #345

So, the opening into our basement compartments if measured on the sliding drawer is 19 1/4". I want to use the drawer with the tool box as our slideout opens over the compartment and constant crawling under there gets very old. I have numerous tool boxes, and no combination will fit in the coach basement. Amamzing.

I did find a Harbor Freight tool cart that if I do not use the "cart" part would fit nicely. Giving it some thought.

The quest continues!

L.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:37 AM   #346

Winnebago Owners Club
Lloyd - is there room in the trailer for a tool bin?
Old 05-23-2017, 06:25 PM   #347

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If I carried half the tools you guys do my little 25' Moho wouldn't make it up some of those mountains I have to cross. But it sure would be nice to park next to any of you -- just in case I needed any advice.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:13 PM   #348

Barb, I'm sure that day will come.

Just an update on Lil Blue, the small bolt that I couldn't get loose no matter what I tried finally met it's match (pun intended). I really don't like using oxy acetylene around a gasoline motor, even a dead one. Plus all of the components of my favoritest torch set up was put away after selling Lucy. I put together a torch set and lit up a small gas welding tip. Mean little bugger bolt became a tomato kind of red, and, and, when I reached in there with a small pair of pliers, was not even finger tight. It was a sweet moment. The beautiful thing about whupping up on an inanimate object, no regrets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0925.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	162816  
Old 05-24-2017, 05:52 AM   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Lloyd - is there room in the trailer for a tool bin?
Hi Gordon! Yes there is room in the trailer, however we do not always take the trailer. In fact other than our trip west to Yuma, we haven't used it.

I'm watching for a Harbor Freight sale, starting to really warm up to this cart idea. (I have the exact same cart in my shop, however use it a lot therefore don't want to use that one)

Okmunky, it seems having a old coach keeps these tools busy. During our 4 month trip this year we had numerous ocaisions to hit the tool box. Our kitchen faucet failed and had to be replaced, our icemaker water line got caught in the slide and developed a pin hole leak. Our electric windshield shades started giving us a fit, and we subsequently found a bad connection. Also bicycles needed some work, and Gordon and I installed a new bumper on our Jeep with stronger tow points. Our tools got a workout! Unfortunatly.

Have a great day all! L.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:16 AM   #350

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Lloyd,
I didn't have room for a big tool box in the 5er, so I go one of those little hang on side boxes that fit one of the smaller compartments, while it doesn't hold everything, it does hold the smaller stuff, you guys will be shocked at what I have stuffed in one of the small compartments, and I don't have to take it all the way apart to get something out.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote