RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:05 PM   #477

This is why I love this color and pattern, their dirt and mine look the same, I can see fewer butt chewings in my future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1059.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	509.9 KB
ID:	167699  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2017, 09:15 PM   #478

We have moved the mattress from the living room back into the bedroom. I've got the mattress in the work-on-motor-position. That is it is standing up against the wall vertically beside the bed box. I still have to install the purple insulation around the interior of the exterior bed box and the special engine insulation for the engine compartment itself.

I bought eight boxes of Allure, 24 square feet per box. I just opened box number five, half of material is on the floor or scrap pieces. I bought six 4' X 8' sheets of 3/8" BC plywood for subfloor and I have a lot of scrap pieces left over so I should be just fine, might even be able to take back a box.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1057.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	167701   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1056.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	167702  

Name:	IMG_1055.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	373.9 KB
ID:	167703  

Old 07-05-2017, 10:33 PM   #479

Winnebago Owners Club
Harvey - if I was wearing a hat I would give you a large tip of the hat. It is looking great and when finished will look fantastic. Good color choice.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:21 AM   #480

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
Keep it up and before you know it, you will be done and on your way to the mountains.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:01 AM   #481

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Harvey,

Is it the battery monitor or the solar charge controller you want to mount above the microwave?

Handy Bob taught me that the solar charge controller should be close to the batteries. Mine is in the house battery compartment.

https://www.renogy.com/renogy-advent...w-lcd-display/ This is the solar charger/controller that Larry bought. I looked at the website and was surprised at the price because I paid $55.00 for the product and the voltage/amp/watt/usage cost tester.

One of the criteria I wanted was the monitor panel to be inside above the microwave because that's where the 12V circuit breakers are located. That way I could check on the condition of the batteries when I cook or make coffee etc. I will know more about it when I get to the solar panel and battery bay installation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1060.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	167723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1061.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	167724  

Old 07-06-2017, 09:23 PM   #482

Today was another good day. I am hobbled by the knee but it will get better

I'm now at the point where I am going to have to make the transition from the new sub floor to the metal part of the cab. We pulled the carpet that was glued on and am now gluing on the insulation material. The rubber cement is one of those things that have fumes that can help you take a trip without leaving the farm.

The box in the floor is a semi hidden storage area for securing things. The lid is aluminum/plywood with carpet glued-stapled to it. We're going back with the insulation/ Allure finish.

Last photo is farm humor. Brown dog is a 110 lb chocolate lab that has had to learn to leave the chickens alone. She has a soft mouth so when she has caught one it was more embarrassing than anything else for the chicken. It's hard to be prideful, chickens are awful prideful, when you're covered with dog slobbers.

This morning I let the dogs out and then put them back in so the chickens could do their hunting thing. A little later I noticed the chickens by the dog kennel so I opened it up for the dogs to get out. Dogs took off and the chickens ran into the dog kennel, the love dog food and the dry dust and wood chips. Brown dog was instantly back in and if you look close you can see she is protecting a bowl of dog food from the chickens. Nature's sense of humor is better than ours most of the time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1066.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	167822   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1067.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	167823  

Name:	IMG_1068.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	167824   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1062.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	483.3 KB
ID:	167825  

Old 07-06-2017, 09:46 PM   #483

Nice job on the flooring

You are saving a ton of $ with your flooring install. We had a flooring Co come in and do a vinyl bathroom floor install. We did all the tearout and the guys gave DH a compliment. "We wouldn't have even did a good job like you did". Save us $600.00. The install was $2,000. Very nice install and the crew was very professional. Would defeniately use them again. Be sure to keep that extra box of flooring in case you have an accident and need to repair. DH Set a can of some leaky plumbers goop on my vinyl dinning room floor. It stained through. DH said when we were cleaning the basement out. Throw those flooring scraps out" we won't need them". Famous last words. DH had to fix a bad sodder on a copper pipe for our outdoor water. He is very handy and fixes many things. Keep up the good work.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:32 AM   #484

Freightliner Owners Club
Looking good Harvey, won't be long before you are done.
Frank
Old 07-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #485

Winnebago Owners Club
Harvey - great picture and story about the brown dog. Brings back some memories about our Akita and the wild birds who would wait for him to leave his bowl in the kennel.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:13 PM   #486

Gordon Angel (brown dog) is a very special dog. Her siblings are all half of her size. At six months Scott gave her to a bird dog trainer so she could be his hunting partner. Trainer called up three weeks later and congratulated Scott on having a great lap dog, come and get her no sense trying to train a dog to hunt that isn't interested.

It turns out that Angel is more cat when it comes to attitude. She's an awesome retriever who will out do the professionally trained dogs when it comes to bringing back ducks. She is just going to do it her way in no big hurry and she will bring back birds that the high strung dogs don't have the patience to find. She will lay in the blind, boat bottom, or on the dike totally bored and happy. Then we she hears "back" she'll meander out and not come back till she's got her bird.

Scott does seamless gutter and as often as not will take her on the job, job dog. Some of the cities here in north Texas are full of wannabe some bodies. They see a big dog not on a leash and the homeowner will get a call and mention Angel not on a leash. Scott will look at the truck where the passenger door will be open and say, "load up". She'll go to the truck and settle in like she's supposed to do. When she's at the farm she'll hang out with me. She's just an awesome dog.

This morning we stopped by a bud's and he gave me a piece of 1/4" thick 4' X 10' rubber mat he uses in horse trailers for the sides to protect the wood. We're going to use it for the driver and copilot area of the coach flooring. I'll glue it to the insulation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1070.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	429.2 KB
ID:	167957   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1071.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	167958  

Name:	IMG_1072.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	167959  
Old 07-08-2017, 06:01 AM   #487

Harvey, that rubber mat looks great. That will be nice in that area.

I forget, where is Jane's entry way/stairs? Are they mid-ship?

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:22 AM   #488

Freightliner Owners Club
Harvey,
With the rubber mat and the insulation, not only will it look great,be easy to clean, but will be a lot quieter and easier to keep temperature controlled while traveling.
Frank
Old 07-08-2017, 06:45 AM   #489

Yes the entryway is midship. I woke up an hour ago working on the rubber mat area. Jane is fifteen miles away which means virtual work isn't as effective as real work. I haven't decided exactly how I want to do the threshold between the rubber and Allure. I'm thinking right now of using a piece of 1/8" X 2" aluminum bar using countersunk wood screws on the Allure and metal on the rubber.

Then there's the storage box issue. Original lid and and hinge was made for a loose fit because the space taken up by carpet. The lid is a piece of 1" plywood with a piece of 20 gauge aluminum laminated to the underside. The carpet was glued and wrapped around the wood and then a kazillion staples were hammered into secure the carpet. The aluminum has a bunch of holes now in it.

I'm thinking right now that I will either have to build a new lid or add some material to the sides and a new aluminum plate on the underside of the original. There is no locking mechanism, just a fold out catch for lifting the lid. I'm thinking that I would like a locking mechanism so that when we leave the coach in the woods to run into town or take a long walk some of the expensive electronics can be secured.

Many years ago I solved an issue a bud was having with the bad guys using heavy bars to break through a standard metal walk through door to get into his shop. Two feet from the walk door was a big roll up door. I used a piece of pipe from the framework of the roll up to go through the some brackets that secured the door inside. Bad guys never put together the dead bolt lock in the roll up frame to why they could destroy the walk through and never get access. I could use the same concept on Jane. A handle in the front tire fender area that operates a hidden catch would work.

The other thing coming up fast is the solar installation. I'm starting to do the research now. I have to read something five or six times and sometimes still don't get it.

Next to the new desk is a 115 volt outlet. I want to install another outlet on the desk itself. There is also a 12 volt circuit folded back in the wiring at that location. I'm going to also set up a 12 volt charging station for the Apple products.

When someone asks why I don't sleep sometimes it's because there is so much fun to be had doing things in the mind.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #490

Winnebago Owners Club
Lots of ideas. I am going to add one more. It looks like the rubber can go down in one flat piece over the trap door. Would building a drop in the same as before except with a rubber top look OK? If you had a throw rug to cover the trap door it would hide the access to the storage area. Unless one had local knowledge the storage would be "out of sight, out of mind".

I was going to suggest another solution but it is too cumbersome. We went to a rug dealer in Yuma and had them custom cut and bind a piece of rug to fit the front of the coach. It provides a seamless cover on the tile from the drivers area to the stairs and is back about 3 feet. We do not have a storage area so once the rug is down it can stay. An option could be to have the rug cut for the front in two pieces. One for the drivers foot area and one from the drivers seat to the passengers foot area.

This is something that can be done at leisure. The rug does help to sound deaden and insulate the floor area. Also nice on the tootsies when driving.

It is going to be great to see the finished product this fall.

Bests to Glenda.

« Goooodmorning!!! | - »