Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2018, 05:30 AM   #995

This morning we have an appointment with Glenda’s oncologist. We got the all clear the last visit about a month ago but he wanted to take a closer look at some pain areas in her lower back. Today we find out the results of those scans. Hopefully all is well and what she’s experiencing is more old age than anything else. 74 and tackling this move is pretty impressive in my book, being a breast cancer survivor makes it all the more so.

Sunday I painted the roof of the container with the mobile home roof paint. Monday it was obvious that it made a huge difference. But the west side wall was still so hot that it was uncomfortable to touch. So yesterday I painted the west wall. After the first coat once again it was obvious to the touch that it was making a difference.

It’s a lot easier painting a flat floor surface with a roller than painting a corrugated vertical serviced with a four inch brush. It’s also a lot messier. When I got in last night I was not only wore slick, I looked like I had entered multiple white paint wrestling contests and lost every one. Because of the torn rotator cuff I can’t lift the right arm above shoulder height with any strength. My work around for that was to use a pallet on the forks of the tractor for scaffolding to do the upper three feet. I felt better when the weather guy pointed out that Phoenix was experiencing 104 degrees when we were only in the low nineties. Better, not wonderful, it was still a lot hotter than I liked.

After the oncologist visit Glenda will back at the house packing and I will be installing the electrical receptacles for RV 30 and 50 amp service at Casa de Lacey. Cousin and CIL will be dropping in for a couple of days on their way to some big whoopitytodo for Cacheing in Cincinnati later this month. Jane requires 30 amp and their Newmar needs 50 amp service. We’ll be rving at the new place for the first time.

The trailer hasn’t taken off on its flight across the Red River yet, maybe today is the day. Monday the septic tank was pumped. I was sweating bullets on it being viable because it’s illegal to replace a leech line tank in our county. You have to go to the aerobic system and they’re a lot more expensive to maintain. Our soil is sandy so the old leech line system works fine most of the time where most of the county is clay and leech line systems are a problem. Anyway our septic and system appears to be good and the thousand gallons tank will me more than adequate for us.

I know some see my ramblings about a new house in the country as inappropriate for an RV forum. But one of the considerations is a home for Jane when we’re in Texas. Hopefully she’ll only be here about six months out of the year.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2018, 06:17 AM   #996

Harv, if anyone thinks in inappropriate for you to be talking about the stick and brick, there's always the unsubscribe option! Personally, I'm getting a kick out of reading about your progress, and am still trying to figure out a way to hijack Glenda and yourself to KY to help us out on OUR projects! And for Glenda, hope you both get some great news today. Take care, Scot
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:48 AM   #997

Life with Jane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Harv, if anyone thinks in inappropriate for you to be talking about the stick and brick, there's always the unsubscribe option! Personally, I'm getting a kick out of reading about your progress, and am still trying to figure out a way to hijack Glenda and yourself to KY to help us out on OUR projects! And for Glenda, hope you both get some great news today. Take care, Scot

Always like reading Harvey’s post. But I have first dibbs on high jacking them. After I load them up with MI rocks. I will send them your way. [emoji1][emoji33]
Old 05-11-2018, 04:45 AM   #998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post

Totally agree. You're making you're own private RV park, what's more awesome then that....
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:10 AM   #999

I will 3rd or 4th that Harvey. Keep going enjoying watching the build.

Best wishes to Glenda,,,,, fingers crossed for good news.

L.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:40 AM   #1000

Harvey, I can recommend a spray foam outfit in Wichita Falls...not sure what it would cost to have him come to you, but I use him in my business and his crew is top notch...
Good luck on your country estate!
Old 05-12-2018, 05:34 AM   #1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyCamper View Post
Harvey, I can recommend a spray foam outfit in Wichita Falls...not sure what it would cost to have him come to you, but I use him in my business and his crew is top notch...
Good luck on your country estate!
"Country Estate"! I LIKE that! Sounds so much more upscale than our "Hobby Farm!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:57 AM   #1002

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
Congrats on your 1000th post. Looking forward to meeting you this fall in Yuma.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #1003

Thanks everyone. We’re in to the moving big time. In fact the last two nights I’ve spent in the motorhome and we’re moving up the bedroom and living room tonight.

I’m posting a pic of our old place’s mailbox post. I built it about twenty years ago and installed three planters. I installed a couple of cactus today, red and yellow.

We’ve got no internet up there. And our AT&T cellular is one bar, right across the road is a new Verizon tower so it looks like we’re going there with celllular and hot spot.

I’ll post some updates as time allows
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B20ACD85-358A-4CF8-9A98-6E9194AAA842.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	478.5 KB
ID:	202440   Click image for larger version

Name:	1BBC9F61-98E2-4745-A1BF-D78BD246EA54.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	602.0 KB
ID:	202441  

Old 05-12-2018, 08:10 PM   #1004

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Harvey,

You might try T Mobile, first. I switched last November and I've been surprised that I've gotten service almost everywhere between Quartzsite and Baker City, Oregon. Check out the 55 Plus plan - $70/month for 2 phones and I don’t need a hotspot as they make it so your phone is a good one. And you get 50 Gb of data before they might slow you down.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:20 AM   #1005

Harvey
We have Comcast/Xfinity here and I think you had it at your home. They now have Xfinity Mobile. We switched our home phone over to it last year. Very happy with the service. It uses Verizon for it's phone service. It cost nothing for phone service. Just for data and a phone. Unlimited data is $45 a month for up to 5 phones. You can bring your own unlocked iPhone to the plan if it is a 6 or newer. Which includes SE. I know you will not have Comcast where you are moving. But maybe a family member has it and you can get on their account.
Our Verizon service is 1 line in the house. But has not given us any problems. AT&T is 2 lines in the house. Our phones are LTE. Forget T Mobile and Sprint at my house. 1 line outside if any. I live 2 miles north of a major interstate highway. You would think they would have good service when that close to freeway.
When our current account with AT&T is done the other 2 phones are going to Xfinity Mobile.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:19 AM   #1006

Harey, we use a verizon Jet Pack, works great for us. Very portabble. When on the road we take our home computer and the jet pack.

We also have phones if we just have small internet needs.

L.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #1007

We got home (new place) before dark for the first time in awhile. The 16’ enclosed trailer I’m using has two issues. It has no tags. That’s because one bud bought it and has not changed the title over to his name. Other bud that sold it pulled the plates when he sold it. So there’s a slight issue of legality when it comes to being on the road.

Then there’s the marking lights, they’re iffy at best. So far they’ve worked most of the time after dark. But tonight I didn’t want to take a chance and home (old place) in time to not have to travel after dark.

Plus I had to hook up the washer and dryer in the little house so we can do laundry. Glenda only uses cold water so not having a water heater isn’t a problem.

I could get by without PEX. But for me it would be like walking through the sticker patch without shoes. Pex makes things so much easier, especially when everything it temporary, just to get by until we get the new place built.

It’s been tough getting the old place emptyied and moved up here. But hopefully the painter will move in Friday and the magic happens. We’ve been in it for 26 years and have done a ton of stuff, but most of it wasn’t about a new owner, just stuff we wanted to make our lives better. And to be honest, our taste and needs are nothing like what they’re wanting today so what’s really cool to us is totally out of fashion for them.

No pics because I’m only working with two bars of AT&T cellular. We haven’t decided what we’re going to do yet. Here AT&T is better at vacuuming portapotties than providing cell service. Land line from them is even worse. Then there’s the problem we had in the mountains every summer in Arizona. No Service from AT&T and friends with Verizon had awesome service. The line of sight internet providers are giving 6 to 8 meg download speed and aren’t cheap, $70.00 or so. And we’re not planning on being here but five months out of the year so that option is not a good one. I talked to Walmart today about Verizon and that was a dead end. Walmart is only about new phones and contracts thru Verizon. We have good phones and don’t see the need to change, not a fashion statement for us.

Let’s try and see if this posts.

I’m not responding much to individual posters because of time and bandwidth.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:47 AM   #1008

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
I talked to Walmart today about Verizon and that was a dead end. Walmart is only about new phones and contracts thru Verizon. We have good phones and don’t see the need to change, not a fashion statement for us.

I’m not responding much to individual posters because of time and bandwidth.
Harv,
Don't know if this suggestion will help you, but...

The is a service provider called GoRedPocket.com where you can choose a plan, or design your own (talk/text/data), and you choose the carrier you want to use: ATT, Verizon, Sprint or T-Mobile. They send you a SIM card and you go online to activate it (or call). No contracts; it's a pay as you go. Monthly auto-renewal if you want it, or you renew (or not) each month. You can modify your plan at any time; adding more T, T or D, as you like.

The main drawback I see with this, is anyone who is a heavy data user may not find that it suits them. They have no unlimited plan, AFAIK.

We've been using them for about 10 months, and other than the monthly cost being a fraction of what I paid before, I see no difference.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote