Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:41 AM   #113

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Dad is not that bad, but I understand what you are saying. I have run into people like that. Glad that you are getting the head taken care of.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #114

Winnebago Owners Club
Harv - really enjoying the thread. It has become one of the must read first group of threads I enjoy. Goooood Morning and Total Rebuild are there too.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:25 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Harv - really enjoying the thread. It has become one of the must read first group of threads I enjoy. Goooood Morning and Total Rebuild are there too.
You do have good taste in must read threads! Especially the first two.

This morning I called Sean at Blaines to find out if the turbo/exhaust manifold was in the head gasket kit. He checked and it was and then he through with a by the way at me. The head would be ready within the hour if I wanted to head on down. I did. The last thing I had to take out before starting the reassemble was the removal of the old cracked exhaust manifold.

It was a bugger bear but a box end 15 mm and a two pound hammer did it one eighth of a turn at a time. We're talking the original impact wrench here.

I went over the head with cleaner and some wire brushes and serious rinsing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4611.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	456.1 KB
ID:	144693   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4618.jpg
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	144694  

Old 11-18-2016, 06:28 PM   #116

In the bottom side of the head photo it doesn't reflect the shinier than a ruby in a goat's backend reality. I don't know how many thousands they milled off but you could probably count them on one hand.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:01 PM   #117

Freightliner Owners Club
Head looks good Harvey, now the fun continues.
Frank
Old 11-19-2016, 01:36 AM   #118

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Harvey, the head looks good! When back together it will be one less thing to worry about! Rail!
Old 11-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Harvey, the head looks good! When back together it will be one less thing to worry about! Rail!
That's what this is all about Rail. Best thing about me went over yesterday to my bud's who is doing the Michelins for us, 39/16 dated tires. She paid him for them now because we don't want his money tied up waiting on me to get Jane on the road. Cuz who is a veteran RV'r/Cache fiend sent us a set of tire pressure monitors after the best thing about me complained about my not checking tire pressures every morning.

I hate borrowing tools, just hate it. Don't like lending them much either but literally hate borrowing them. So you can imagine my pleasure at finding my torque wrench. I did one last search every nook and cranny for it and it worked.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:34 PM   #120

So let's pretend you're old, not real old, just old, 68 years old. And you need to install a 5.9 Cummins ISB head inside a diesel pusher by yourself.

First things first, you get the block cleaned and ready with the new head gasket.

Second, you pick up two deer corn 50 lb bags. Fold one and place it inside the other. Then you insert the business end of an eight foot piece of 2" X 8" 1/4" inch wall rectangular tubing inside the second bag beneath the folded bag, think of it as a pillow for the head.

The non-business end of the rectangular tubing has a forklift fork inserted into it. The head has a ratchet strap installed between bolts so it is easier to handle inside the engine compartment.

The heavy lifting part of the job is ready to do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4619.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	144754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4626.jpg
Size:	460.0 KB
ID:	144755  

Old 11-19-2016, 08:40 PM   #121

Just after I had the head inside and ready for me to place it where it needed to go a bud showed up. He handled one end from the outside after he moved the tractor out of the way. It went in slick.

His comment after we were done was, "that was as neat as a pocket on a shirt."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4627.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	144756   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4621.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	144757  

Old 11-19-2016, 08:42 PM   #122

While installing the rockers and pushrods I slipped and split a knuckle just as pretty as you can. My first thought was these old hands are starting to look like a young man's hands.

When I was young I thought my dad was tough because he could take a nickin' and keep right on a tickin'. Then I got old and decided he wasn't so tough, he was just old. But even old still hurts when you have a cut that's going to be a legacy scar and there is a hot shower waiting.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:00 PM   #123

Freightliner Owners Club
Harvey,
Glad that you got the head back on, but I understand all too well about the busted knuckle.
Frank
Old 11-20-2016, 08:28 PM   #124

First thing, best thing about me said I come across as being conceited. If so I apologize. I get really excited about doing things and the fingers fly across the keyboard and don't always, make that ever, worry about appearances. I'm not trying to offend anyone.

Today I started to do the first round of 30 foot pound head torquing and I had a minor panic attack. I wasn't entirely convinced that I had put every pushrod in the lifter notch. So I pulled the rockers and checked each one. They were all okay but even though you would never know it, I'm getting a little OCD in my old age.

The head torquing went well. I was almost standing on my head when it came to the 120 ft lb sequence, not the man I used to be, but finding leverage to exert that kind of force can be tough if you need leverage to make it happen.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:53 PM   #125

Freightliner Owners Club
Harvey,
I think you were fine, didn't get that impression in the least. I agree with the leverage for the 120ft-lbs, I have to about put all my weight into getting it on the 5er lugs when torquing them to 120 ft-lbs plus I can't use my left had due to the plate and screws in it, they don't like it when I put that kind of pressure on it.
Frank
Old 11-29-2016, 10:53 PM   #126

Wow! It's been over a week since I touched Jane. Well, we did have an inch of rain come through and just in case the my windshield repair wasn't up to par I placed a bowl where I thought it might fail. It did. I had a spot in the bowl about the size of a silver dollar (remember those?). So one of the first thing we are going to get fixed when she is on the road is the windshield.

I've had some welding jobs to do so they took up some time. We went to Louisiana for Thanksgiving and had a wonderful time. On the way back we stopped in at Gladewater TX to spend some quality time with Ron and Betty Hall. If you need a bud with the know how when it comes to the neat stuff to do to a coach Ron is your man. I'm the guy that carves trees with a chain saw and Ron is the guy with they pen knife and total magic in his fingers when it comes to making things perfect when it comes to carving, mechanically speaking.

The best thing about me got the second eye de-cataracted today. The first one was a half day for me kind of thing but today it ended up being an all day affair. There was the hair cut thing too, seems that when you only get a haircut and beard trim every six months it takes them twice as long. I think best thing about me was comparing me to Ron in the civilized appearance arena. I'll never look that civilized but I don't look quite as wild now.

When your walk into the barber shop and have the burly booger bear look you need an excuse. I blame the best thing about me.

"Harvey, you're looking kinda rough."

Nothing happens.

"Harvey, you're starting to scare people."

Nothing changes.

"Harvey, you're starting to scare me."

I get a haircut.

Hopefully tomorrow after the follow up visit with the eye doctor I'll be able to get back on putting Jane back together. I've enjoyed the time away from her but am looking back to getting it on again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4645.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	145678