Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2016, 05:24 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboardfs View Post
At the risk of showing my ignorance: wonder if a guy could use a knuckle buster and cut that line off, which might let you get the end started, then throw on a compression coupler where you have room to work.
That was on the list of options I was considering. However I thought the most important and immediate thing to do was to get the alignment right. What I needed was a tool. I needed a tool like I used to bend hot iron when blacksmithing. So over to the blacksmithing part of the shop and after serious scratching around, I found it.

This usually installed into the Hardy hole on the anvil, note square base in vise. Red hot iron is then inserted between the two uprights and bent around one of them.

The tool had to be modified to work for this job. The object is to tweak the tubing just a hair, maybe a quarter of an inch at the end. So the ends were placed astraddle the tubing and a one inch wrench was used on the Hardy hole piece to do the tweaking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4670.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	146061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4673.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	146062  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2016, 05:36 PM   #142

The next tool that had to be made was a twofer. I took one 24mm open box end and did some creative slicing. The box end became a tubing wrench with a three inch handle. The open became an open end with a five inch handle.

Then I removed the brass fitting from the head to check for damaged threads caused by my previous exercises in frustration. It wasn't bad so I started that piece into the compression nut on the tubing. The alignment was pretty well on and I tightened it all up using the new tubing wrench on the compression nut also tightening up the fitting into the head.

I pulled the whole thing out again and added thread lube to the pipe fitting and tightened it back into the head using a ratchet and socket. Then I installed the compression nut/tubing using the new tubing wrench and final tightening using the new shorty open end wrench.

Needless to say I was feeling like the fella that always felt he was as bad as a junkyard dawg. Then he met something that felt it was meaner than a junkyard dawg. So to prove a point the fella proved that he was not meaner than a junkyard dawg, he was meaner than the something meaner than a junkyard dawg.

Yeah, I felt like struttin'. There will be other battles, but this one, I won.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4675.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	146065   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4680.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	146066  

Name:	IMG_4681.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	146067   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4672.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	146068  

Old 12-05-2016, 06:02 PM   #143

Good job Harvey. I have many modified tools in my tool cabinets. The items I used them on are long gone.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-05-2016, 08:20 PM   #144

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Nice job Harvey, I knew that if you stopped and thought about it logically(after the frustration left) that you would get it done.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:39 PM   #145

There's pleasure in work. Putting Jane's innards back together is work. I'm taking my time and finding pleasure in the doing. I'm going back with new fasteners when I can and everything is either prepared with Never Seize or gasket sealer. One of the great things is I have the original Cummins owners manual with torque specs which makes it easier on the mind when it comes to tightening down fasteners.

The head, new exhaust manifold, turbo unit are all in. I'm replacing some of the hoses and tubing etc. Today I drained the tanks etc preparing for tonight's freeze.

We're going to OKC Friday for oldest granddaughter's Master's degree ceremony. We'll stay at the Holiday Inn Express like we used to do. Best thing wanted to take Jane but is okay with not having her ready. She's used to me not being the most rapid of repairmen.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #146

Winnebago Owners Club
Harv; Congratulations to you and best thing about you grand daughter graduation. You must be very proud.

Agree it would have been nice to us the MH but if it is not ready would not be a good thing. Taking your time to do it right will mean you will be able to use it with assurance and peace of mind.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:00 AM   #147

Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on what Gordon said.
Frank
Old 12-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #148

It's a tad nippy this morning. And I've moved over to the IMac from the iPad Pro which brings up a question, anyone using an iMac in the coach on the road? Don't get me wrong, love the iPads but I like the iMac more. It's last year's 21" and I figure any time I want to be computery without 115 volt I have the iPads. But I really like the iMac.

What I'm thinking about is modifying the area behind the co-pilot's seat from a hidden desk to a permanent iMac station, losing the barrel chair and replacing it with a fold up.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:45 AM   #149

Freightliner Owners Club
And the Saga continues.
Frank
Old 12-13-2016, 07:57 PM   #150

We've been moving right along, no big hurry. I have a new issue to deal with and want some input. When I was tugging the turbo away from the exhaust manifold the exhaust pipe between the turbo and muffler came out of the muffler. It looks like I'm going to have to remove the muffler and weld in a new piece for the exhaust pipe to fit up to.

However, one of my buds who is a member here suggested that I do away with the muffler entirely. I appreciate that the exhaust is back far enough from the front that I won't know the noise difference. But then I also appreciate that others, folks parked near me when I start up to leave etc, might not be as comfortable with the new sound.

I did a search here on IRV2 and there have been a few discussions on replacing the stock muffler with a stainless resonator like the kids do to their diesel pickups. That hasn't helped much.

I have been known to do some welding on occasion. The exhaust pipe from the turbo to the muffler is three inch. The pipe from the muffler to the end of the coach is four inch with a cute little chrome tip. In my assorted pieces of scrap material is a couple of feet of 16 gauge galvanized muffler pipe, real deal. there is also three feet of four inch, same material, left over from some project is my best bet.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:18 AM   #151

Freightliner Owners Club
Harvey,
Personally, I think that the straight pipe will be way too loud, at cruising speeds you will hear the drone. That is my opinion,you want the MH as quiet as possible.
Frank
Old 12-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Harvey,
Personally, I think that the straight pipe will be way too loud, at cruising speeds you will hear the drone. That is my opinion,you want the MH as quiet as possible.
Frank
Frank you sound like my act-your-age voice. However, there's this echo chamber in my head that's almost as loud as it ever has been.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:49 PM   #153

Winnebago Owners Club
I am sort of with Frank on the noise issues.

One thing I would consider is the use of the jake. Prohibited in most urban centers but some are starting to say un muffled engine brakes are prohibited.

I use our engine brake in all jurisdictions and have fingers crossed that there will be no issues.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:52 AM   #154

Hey Gordon on my ram 1 ton I have an exhaust brake that I use even for every day driving but it's not an engine brake but an exhaust brake....AL the signs here say no engine brake so I will just argue that it's not an engine brake like the sign says but an exhaust brake....Lol...Will still probably get a ticket...Lol

Mk
mkohler30 is offline   Reply With Quote