Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2016, 05:24 AM   #155

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
I had my days with loud exhaust and all that, My ears won't take it any more. My PU has the bully dog exhaust exiting right before the rear axle and the drone at highway speeds with the 5er on gets annoying after a few miles.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2016, 07:10 PM   #156

Monaco Owners Club
Just wanted to add two things about the engine over heating, first the engine breather tube from the oil pan on the older model ISB ended close to the bottom of the radiator letting the engine fan suck the oil smoke and deposit it on both the CAC and radiator it's a easy fix just extend the breather tube, on rear engine coaches the radiator needs cleaning a couple times a year and when i had a rear engine coach I used the engine fan to blow soap and water through both and let set for 10 or 15 minutes before flushing out with clean water again using the engine fan.
Also the little Kia 6 speed makes a fine toad and they sell pretty reasonable, check auto trader . Com for new entry level.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:28 AM   #157

It's been a couple, almost three I think, of weeks since I did an update. Life is busy and with the Holiday season thrown in, real busy. But we've survived and the journey continues.

I believe everything that is best installed from under the bed has been installed, at least once, most of it twice, some, three times. I would bolt something down and then check the photos on the Ipad carefully. Find something that should have been installed first because of location etc and get to redo it, right this time. Everything that was rubber was replaced. And everything was torqued if required. One of the issues is the memory seems to have lost half the linking mechanisms. So some things were checked multiple times because even though I'm pretty sure I had just checked I had to check again.

Today I start attaching the stuff on the front of the motor. Then in goes the radiators. I won't attach all of the body panels until I'm sure there are no issues with the work I've done up to this point. The one thing that I don't look forward to is adjusting the valves again after an hour's running. It is pretty easy finding TDC with access to the front of the motor than it will be using the starter.

Any tips with the sealing adhesives between radiators would be helpful. Also if there are any threads showing the reassembly here I would like those links too.

Appreciate the support.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:16 AM   #158

Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like a plan Harvey, I agree with the checking and rechecking, as we age, we do forget things, or overlook them.
Frank
Old 01-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #159

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome back Harv. Glad you had a good Christmas break. I was starting to have some "life with Jane" thread withdrawal but am now back on track.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #160

Nice work Harvey,
Old 01-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #161

I apologize for the lack of activity on the thread. The biggest obstacle to my being more productive on getting Jane back on the road is the battle raging between my doing it right and remembering what I was doing. So everything happens as a dance it seems, one step forward, two side steps, one back, another side step, then two steps forward. It is not that I have been not working on Jane, it's just that most of the stuff I've been doing is the necessary little stuff, injectors, lines, etc and so on.

Today was a typical adventure. The last thing I did l last night was to install the bracket for the air conditioning compressor. For some reason it didn't look right. So I backed away to come back another day with another perspective. Today it still didn't look right. So I removed it, checked everything, and then reinstalled it. It looked fine this time. Nothing was changed but for whatever reason I was happy with it now when I wasn't before. The last thing today was installing the a/c compressor itself. Four bolts, two of them 17mm bolt and nut and two of them 9/16 head and nut two inches long with a half inch spacer.

Problem is, only one of the spacers and nut for the two longer bolts. First assumption was the spacer and nut had dropped into the nether land beneath where the air compressor and lots of crannies lay in wait for errant small things. I did a thorough search, at least as good as I could under the circumstances. Then I went through the rest of the containers with bolts and nuts from other components, nothing.

I called the auto parts store. They had no spacers and suggested using stacked washers. I didn't like the stacked washer idea much because as difficult as it would be to keep a stack of washers together now it would be impossible later when everything else was installed and I needed to change out the compressor. So I went through the process of creating a new spacer. The thought of cutting out a circle in a piece of steel plate and then drilling a hole in the middle was discouraging at best.

Then an idea exploded in from where ever the the memories are kept. Probably twenty plus years ago I had grabbed a piece of drill stem from a cable drop installer piece of equipment. It was only about seven foot long and I had used it 3/8" plus increments on occasion since. Occasions just like this, spacers because the drill stem is 1" O.D. 1/2" I.D.

I'd rather be lucky than good. Good is mostly about effort, lucky, it's unearned and wonderful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0078.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	148818   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	340.7 KB
ID:	148819  

Old 01-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #162

One of the things on my list of to do's was redoing this wire splicing. I didn't take any photos afterwards but basically all three connections were soldered and taped before moving on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0082.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	148820  
Old 01-10-2017, 08:38 PM   #163

The last thing I pulled was the trans oil cooler. Hydraulic fittings that I couldn't break loose no matter how hard I tried. And believe me, I tried. So I cut the lines with a sawsall. Mechanic bud said he does it all the time and then used rubber line to put it all back together.

I knew I wasn't going to use the rubber hose method. A loose connection sometime when the circumstances were perfectly wrong and replacing the trans would be at the top of my hard decision list. But I knew that some way some how I would do a repair that would work and allow me to sleep at night.

Last thing last night was a visit to the auto parts store with the fittings in hand and a willingness to consider any idea that would work. Once I explained to the guy behind the counter what I had and thought I needed he went to the back and came back with these hydraulic crimp fittings. Tomorrow I clip and clean the ends of the lines on the trans cooler. I will then trim the outer parts of the crimp assembly on the new fittings so that I will have new pipe to weld to the exiting lines to the cooler. All that is left is the doing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4481.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	358.6 KB
ID:	148822   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0062.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	148823  

Name:	IMG_0084.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	148824   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0085.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	148825  

Name:	IMG_0087.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	148826  
Old 01-10-2017, 08:45 PM   #164

One of the more interesting/intimidating steps of the reassembly was installing the radiator pack with the three radiators. I'm not easily intimidated but this one had me going. I'm doing this all by myself for the most part and I knew that the water radiator was heavy enough to make me extremely nervous about dropping it and cause real damage. The other two radiators add enough weight so that I know there was no way I could lift it as a unit by myself.

Unless I use the tractor, I think I can use the tractor, happy days might be here again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0059.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	148828   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0060.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	148829  

Name:	IMG_0064.jpg
Size:	382.4 KB
ID:	148830  
Old 01-10-2017, 09:55 PM   #165

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Harvey, I don't understand much of the fix-it stuff, but I am throughly enjoying reading about your life with Jane. When you get tired of the mud and grease you should write a book!

And I suspect that the best thing about you says the very same thing about you. Would it make her jealous if I said I want to give you a big sisterly hug?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #166

Glad things are moving forward.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:13 PM   #167

Freightliner Owners Club
Harvey,
Good find on the crimp fittings, as long as the tubing coming out of the cooler is in good shape, you will have a better than factory repair. I agree on fixing that splice, some people just don't understand the importance of good connections. You will need some strong help reinstalling that radiator stack, too much for our age group, could use cherry picker, but a couple of young strng bucks that listen will do a better job with your direction.
Frank
Old 01-12-2017, 07:36 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Harvey,
Good find on the crimp fittings, as long as the tubing coming out of the cooler is in good shape, you will have a better than factory repair. I agree on fixing that splice, some people just don't understand the importance of good connections. You will need some strong help reinstalling that radiator stack, too much for our age group, could use cherry picker, but a couple of young strng bucks that listen will do a better job with your direction.
Frank
I'm thinking using the tractor.

Today was a tough one. The last thing last night was another trip to the auto parts store to retrieve the original new serpentine belt that I had replaced with one an inch and ten dollars longer, yup, $9.99 for an extra inch. I had fought the original new belt for five tries. I finally gave up and exchanged the original new one for the one inch longer new one.

The longer new one went on easy. That was because it was too long/loose. This morning it was the third try when the original new one went into place. Some times you know there are no alternatives and it has to be done so you do it. This was one of those times.

The next thing after the serpentine belt was the V belt for the dash air. It went into place like a good dawg. But, huge but, size of a 747 but, the belt was long enough that it used up all of the adjustment which meant that if the belt stretched I wouldn't be able to tighten it up. A/C belts have to be tight. So I dropped by a parts store on the way to the oncology center and picked up a belt 1 1/2" shorter.

Two hours at the oncology center. Bottom line is they are leaving in the port but there are no new infusions planned. We are thankful that we got eight months of a 12 month regimen of Herceptin before the damage to the heart stopped the process. Now we have the elephant in the room of the aggressive breast cancer currently NED (no evidence of disease) and there is the concern for the damaged heart. It has been a fine line the medical experts have been walking, the need to curtail the breast cancer while not destroying the heart. We were expecting it but it is like the proverbial kick in the gut that you know is coming, it's still a shock and it hurts.

The new V belt was too short. Life in the city when you're this close to the country. The fittings have been trimmed and the radiator tubes are prepared for welding. I didn't try to weld today because it's been pretty emotional for a couple of reasons.

Tomorrow is a new day and we love the days. Every one of them is special in its own way when you're living like you're dying, dying or not.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg
Size:	465.3 KB
ID:	148945