Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2017, 07:31 AM   #407

Frank I'm also a Never Seize and pipe dope addict. Way back in the day, early to middle seventies, I discovered single use stainless bolts could be used multiple times if the threads had a little pipe dope smeared on them next time around. It took about thirty years for me to finally use up all of those "used and bad" 5/16's stainless bolts that I saved from the scrap bin.

Lil Blue is oil leak free. It wasn't easy and it wasn't much fun, but she doesn't leak oil. I strongly suspect the threat of a zipper installation on the cam/valve cover is what brought her around. I went into great detail about the heat involved when welding in the zipper and I think that is what made her decide to suck it up and hang on to her fluids.

If you ever get in a situation where there is no way to use a tap wrench on a tap because of the space limitations I have a solution that worked for me and might for you. I got the tap in a couple of threads with my fingers. It was very hard to do, small space and fat fingers. Then I found a 3/8's extension the right length and slid the ratchet end over the tap, 3'' and 6" extension combination worked for me. Then I slid over the extensions a 3/4" ratchet wrench followed by a 5/8" spark plug socket. The tap-3/8 extension fit up is very sloppy. Using one hand to pressure the spark plug socket extension combination on to the tap and operating the ratchet wrench on the 3/4" exterior socket on the spark plug socket worked like a fire hose in a water fight.

I cleaned up the threads in the block and everything went back together with no leaks. The cam cover was another story but persistence (stubbornness) finally got it done. I would have driven Lil Blue home but need some help installing the hood.

One moment I'm convinced the mind is gone. I needed six neoprene washers for the umpteenth installation of the cam/valve cover. I drove seven miles to the hardware store and bought four. Working on the car I know I needed six, at the hardware store I was sure all I needed was four. But when I looked at the problem of tapping out the threads on the block I instantly knew what I had to do to make it work with what I had at hand. Maybe it's just the memory parts of the brain that are losing it. And maybe their loss is my gain at creative problem solving.

I'll roll with it until the square corners get their way.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #408

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
Necessity is the mother of invention, or so they say. I have used 8 point sockets to turn the tap when necessary. I am strong believer in stainless fasteners also, saves a lot of headaches later on. Glad that you and ill blue came to an understanding on the oil leaks.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #409

A little tip for the unwary. The cutting blades for the Fein type trim cutting tools are directional. That means they cut going one direction and don't really cut worth a flip going the other. One of the interesting challenges removing the kitchen area floor was the toe area under the cabinets. I was able to do some rip cuts with the framing saw to remove the bulk of the floor. But under the cabinets and around trim areas I had to resort to using the Dremel version of the Fein tool. It was tough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0996.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	375.0 KB
ID:	165770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0997.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	165771  

Old 06-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #410

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Harvey, I haven't seen a task you've tackled yet that is easy or didn't require special tools. If I didn't know better I'd think you had elves sneaking in at night to do the easy jobs and leaving the knuckle busters for you.

I can't wait to see the finished floors. And I bet you can't wait to get away from the heat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:38 PM   #411

Pulling the toilet wasn't tough but it had to be done so we could install the new flooring in the bathroom. What was worrying about the old toilet is the black tubing in the photos is of clear tubing, well it was originally clear tubing. So now the decision is to replace the toilet with a new tall one or just replace all the guts inside the old toilet.

It never seems to end.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1001.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	165789   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0999.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	165790  

Old 06-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #412

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Harvey, I haven't seen a task you've tackled yet that is easy or didn't require special tools. If I didn't know better I'd think you had elves sneaking in at night to do the easy jobs and leaving the knuckle busters for you.

I can't wait to see the finished floors. And I bet you can't wait to get away from the heat!
I have the tools, skills, luck is more like it. We have about three things going on at any one time. Lil Blue is waiting on her hood to be installed before we start using her and allow Lucille to rest. As soon as the floor is done then Miss Glenda can do her stuff on the inside and I can concentrate on the other stuff I want to do to Jane before we head out. This is what the bathroom looks like right now. And yes, the water supply line to the toilet has a kink in it, we'll fix it.

We're only a month behind schedule.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0994.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	165791   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0995.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	165792  

Old 06-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #413

Winnebago Owners Club
Good Morning Everyone;
Finished the tree removal yesterday. Last few pieces of truck were pretty heavy but effort was certainly worth getting rid of the fuzz. Drilled the stump and filled with RoundUp so a year or so from now should be able to remove the stumps.

Harvey, hoping the renovation on Jane proceeds quickly and efficiently so you can get away soon. Looks like it is getting warm enough to be uncomfortable and I can hear the cool of the mountains calling. "Harvey, Glenda, time to take some time to rest and relax".

Going golfing today. Got a new Garmin golfing watch that is interesting to use. It keeps stats so I know how bad I really am.

Hope everyone has a grand day.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #414

Wroughtnharv Toilet repairs

We have a sealand toilet in our RV from 1990. It was low to sit on. Felt like you were dropping down. Called the co. for a riser..no go. Then I called PPL Motor home in Texas and they were able to sell me a riser to make the toilet ADA compliant. Best $ I ever spent for comfort. See what the parts to fix and a riser would cost you. May be cheaper to get a new toilet. Our toilet is porcelain and looks brand new. www.ppl Motor homes.com 1-800-755-4775. They will send you a thousand page parts catalog just for the asking. This is like a bible of all common RV parts. We have ordered several things from them and have had A plus customer service. Hope this helps you.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:46 PM   #415

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
We have a sealand toilet in our RV from 1990. It was low to sit on. Felt like you were dropping down. Called the co. for a riser..no go. Then I called PPL Motor home in Texas and they were able to sell me a riser to make the toilet ADA compliant. Best $ I ever spent for comfort. See what the parts to fix and a riser would cost you. May be cheaper to get a new toilet. Our toilet is porcelain and looks brand new. www.ppl Motor homes.com 1-800-755-4775. They will send you a thousand page parts catalog just for the asking. This is like a bible of all common RV parts. We have ordered several things from them and have had A plus customer service. Hope this helps you.
We're big fans of PPL. We've bought two fridges from them and Lawd knows how much more. Our toilet is a Thetford and it has the riser. Right now I believe I'm going to replace the innards and keep the toilet because it has all the good stuff like the porcelain bowl. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:51 PM   #416

I took Lil Blue out for a run to the auto parts store today. It's about a fifteen mile round trip. We had two issues, I couldn't go over forty because I don't have the front bumper cover on which means the inner fenders are not secured. The inner fenders rattle at forty. Then when I tried to start her up at the auto parts store she acted up and wouldn't start, sounded like an electrical issue. I popped the hood and checked all the plug ins and tried starting her again and she ran like a top. Miss Glenda washed her up while I was doing the dirty word generating thing in Jane pulling out old flooring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1014.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	165873  
Old 06-20-2017, 06:56 PM   #417

The wood floor in the kitchen area is gone. I don't know how I would have done it without the Dremel version of the Fein tool.

The seats are gone and almost all of the carpet in the driver's area. I haven't figured out how I'm going to do the driver's area yet. Right now I'm thinking some insulation and then a good rubber floor because that's my office you might say. Then install the Allure from there back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1012.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	165874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1009.jpg
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	165875  

Name:	IMG_1007.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	510.6 KB
ID:	165876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1010.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	165877  

Old 06-20-2017, 10:11 PM   #418

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Harvey, the PO replaced the front carpet and the floor in the kitchen with a Allure type product in Mona, and i am sure glad he did! He did the drivers and passengers, and down the steps too, as Mona has the front door set up! He also did the (throne room too, along with a new porcelain toilet!)
But the bath is still ceramic tile, and the back bedroom is still carpet!
So, i will have to change that out, and i am thinking of leaving the tile, to separate the two wood floors, as i do not know whet type he used, and getting the two to match, will be a problem, i imagine!

I am sure glad he did the front, and i think if you take the time, and do it too, so it will all match, you will like it much better! Having it all the same, makes it so much easier to sweep and keep clean! Remember, Happy Wife, Happy Life!
Here are a couple pic's of Mona's floor's, all i have at this time, as when my computer crashed, i lost most of my pic's, and thought i had them all stored on my 1 TB hard drive, but since looking, half are gone? Poof!!
I'm sure yours will look great when you are done! Lil Blue is looking great!

Rail!

Name:	received_1866823986887925.jpeg
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	165910

Name:	received_1866824003554590.jpeg
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	165911
Old 06-21-2017, 08:01 PM   #419

Rail I'm pretty sure we will love the new flooring. We used Allure in the Cedar Creek fifth wheel and was happy with it. Mona looks great.

One of the issues is the area around the driver and passenger seats is all steel and had carpet glued to the steel. I want to have insulation over the steel for comfort reasons, we love to only need dash air while on the road. I can see the steel transferring all of the heat off of the highway straight up at us through just the vinyl planks. I ordered enough insulation this morning to do the front area and insulate the engine compartment in the rear too. I'm pretty excited about this part of the Jane Project. Did I mention that the material has a distressed appearance that looks like I've walked in with dirty boots before I even get near the coach? Love it.

I hoped to have the tow bar all done on Lil Blue today. But a friend came over with a tore up riding lawn mower. My no ended up being overruled by his not taking a no for an answer. An hour and a half later when it was all done I could appreciate his appreciation for what I can do. It was a distraction but he's a good guy and a great father that works his butt off to provide for his family. The repair will keep him in business for a little while longer before he has to bite the bullet and buy a newer one.

I seem to have this way of working that drives most people crazy if they take the time to watch. After bud left with his crew I got back to Lil Blue and an issue had worked itself out while working on his project. I think it's kinda like a dog we had that killed ferrel cats. She never bothered a pet cat but treated ferrel ones like she did skunks, just didn't smell near as bad afterwards. She would corner the cat and then go into a monotone bark that would cause the cat to pause and look around for an out. Fatal mistake on the cat's part. I seem to work that way, issue comes up and you would think it had me or I was not thinking about it because I would move over on to something else. Then I come back and the issue is solved. I guess the back porch of the mind has a special place for problem solving in some folks, like me for instance.

I've got to build a new ladder rack for an enclosed gutter trailer this weekend on top of everything else. Might give me an opportunity to figure out some of the solar installation stuff waiting for me on the back porch of the mind.

I told miss Glenda the other day that sometimes I feel like the luckiest guy in the world the way things work out for us. She just smiled that smile, still works after all these years. She feels lucky too, sometimes.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:02 AM   #420

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
Sometimes just getting away from a project that is giving you a glitch gives you chance to think of a solution. A lot of times I will take a step back from a problem, go get a cup of coffee then come back and the solution comes to me.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote