Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2017, 08:21 PM   #435

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Harvey, are you going to tow both Lil Blue and your dad's trailer?
The plan is to tow Lil Blue to Camp Verde AZ. Then grab dad's travel trailer with Jane and Glenda will follow us in Lil Blue. When we get into the mountains we might have to use Lil Blue to locate the travel trailer in the woods camp ground.

We got a plan. Last summer we had Jane and the Casita for dad plus a rental car. That meant we had to park the Casita in the woods with Jane. That defines taking a sledge hammer to swat a fly.

We started going to the mountains with dad in 2007. Two fifth wheels, one was a toy hauler and then last year in July we bought Jane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0321.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	532.2 KB
ID:	166656   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0319.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	534.0 KB
ID:	166657  

Name:	IMG_1545.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	578.6 KB
ID:	166658  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2017, 08:27 PM   #436

I don't know how the heck I was able to flip two of those photos and not the third one, undiscovered talent I'm sure.

Today was a good day. This afternoon I was about to go to Lowes to pick up some plywood for the floor installation and I saw some dark clouds. Long story short, twenty minutes later one hour's worth of rain hit, 1 1/4" found the rain gauge. Tomorrow the floor installation begins, this ought to be fun.

This is the insulation we're using under the floor in the cab area and around the engine compartment under the bed.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Alumin...FUZffgod-7EAmA
Old 06-28-2017, 04:47 AM   #437

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post

This is the insulation we're using under the floor in the cab area and around the engine compartment under the bed.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Alumin...FUZffgod-7EAmA
I need to replace the insulation in my engine compartment also. What do you plan to use to adhere the insulation to the engine compartment?
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:54 AM   #438

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
I need to replace the insulation in my engine compartment also. What do you plan to use to adhere the insulation to the engine compartment?
They have a special spray contact cement but I will try regular contact cement first.

In our coach there is just a layer of carpet between the metal flooring in the cab area. Installing the insulation and and vinyl slat (Allure) flooring ought to make the cab area quieter and more comfortable traveling.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:53 AM   #439

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
That matting looks like it should do the trick for you. Should make Jane a lot more comfortable and quiet, not only when traveling, but when set up also.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post

I'm adding an edit to apologize if I come across as arrogant or obstenant. I've been accused of being both. I just like things a certain way when I can do it.
No need for apologies. After following you no this and other forums for many years. I am always amazed on your ability to solve a problem that others have no clue on how to start.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:25 PM   #441

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
No need for apologies. After following you no this and other forums for many years. I am always amazed on your ability to solve a problem that others have no clue on how to start.
Thank you Ron. For those that don't know, Ron is one of those old friends that's an old friend.

I think you're going to like the solar controller set up. I turned over sourcing and choosing to a good bud that's a lot smarter than I am. He called this afternoon and said it's on the way. And it looks like I will be needing another roll of LED bulbs, things are handier than a pocket on a shirt.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:43 PM   #442

One of the issues I had to deal with was transitioning from the metal floor of the cab area to the wood floor of the coach. This was complicated by the insulation material. I had to have the insulation material on hand to see what size of plywood I would need to make the transition more natural.

We got the insulation in yesterday afternoon and so this morning we went to the orange box store for some plywood. They had four sheets and I needed six. So we went to the blue box store and they had two but more on a rack. We got the material there but it took some time to get it on the truck and on the road.

I want as few as seams as possible even though I'm using Liquid Nails to secure the plywood to the existing floor. And this is complicated by late onset dyslexia I think. I have to triple check measurements because more often than I like to think about because I will transpose numbers as often as not. First section went in relatively easy. Then a couple of hours was used up trying to make the full sheet concept go through the middle of the kitchen into the bathroom. I know now what I did wrong and will do it right tomorrow. Mistakes are acceptable if they involve a real learning experience. This particular one became almost like family.

I'm lucky in that I have lots and lots of tools. But even without all of the tools I believe tackling a project like this is worthwhile. Jane is pretty well at the bottom of her value scale. She's a 93 and no matter what we do to her the value will be all about her age and condition. All of the stuff I'm doing to her is money spent for our pleasure and not for resale. The good thing about that is I don't feel constrained by what others might like or not like when it comes to what we do to her.

BTW, the mess is all mine, Miss Glenda wants everyone to understand that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1024.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	166796   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1025.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	166797  

Name:	IMG_1026.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	166798   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1028.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	166799  

Name:	IMG_1031.jpg
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	166801   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1032.jpg
Size:	470.6 KB
ID:	166802  

Name:	IMG_1033.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	166803   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1034.jpg
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	166804  

Name:	IMG_1035.jpg
Size:	377.9 KB
ID:	166806   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1036.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	166807  

Old 06-28-2017, 09:07 PM   #443

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Harvey,

Is this kitten you are looking for going to travel with you? If so you might want to consider putting the litter box in one of the basement compartments and cutting a kitty door access from upstairs to down.

Friends did that and they never have kitty litter on their floor, and the dog can't mess with it either.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:26 AM   #444

Lookin good Harvey!

I've got to work on insulating my stair well. I removed the carpet last year, and replaced with hardwood which I really like the look of, however we now get more wind noise from the stairwell as the wood is not as affective at sound proofing as the carpet. May use some of the spray foam. Going to look at that today.

L.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:43 AM   #445

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Things are looking up Harvey, it won't be long before you will be heading for the hills with Jane and her new flooring. I am of the same opinion that as the coaches become over 10 to 15 years old, the upgrades that we do are for personal uses and not for resale in mind.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:19 AM   #446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd in S.C. View Post
Lookin good Harvey!

I've got to work on insulating my stair well. I removed the carpet last year, and replaced with hardwood which I really like the look of, however we now get more wind noise from the stairwell as the wood is not as affective at sound proofing as the carpet. May use some of the spray foam. Going to look at that today.

L.
Lloyd take a good look at the product I'm using. The reality is if you are getting wind noise them you also have an even bigger thermal inefficiency. I was surprised to learn that the only barriers between the outside and inside in the driver's area was the sheet metal and carpet. When I pulled the carpet in that area I found some pretty big gaps where outside air could come in. We traveled when it was hot outside and the dash air kept us comfortable. But I'm hoping that beefing up the insulation will make it easier to keep it comfortable while driving or parked.

As of right now I'm going to use some 3/16" thick rubber mat material a bud has for his horse trailers to protect the wood from horse abuse. I haven't made up my mind about using the insulation under the mat yet. I have some aluminum angle that I'm considering for transitioning from flooring to the steps. If that works then I will probably insulate because I will have not only the adhesive but a mechanical method of securing the vertical pieces in place.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:37 AM   #447

I wanted to have the plywood oriented front to back so I was increasing the strength of the subfloor. The fewer seams would make it stronger. There is a soft spot running down the middle of the coach. It's not a water damage thing but an old age thing because they used a sandwich board with 3/8" plywood sandwiching 1" foam with 1/4" plywood bottom. My idea was to glue in with Liquid Nails 3/8" plywood creating a 3/4" subfloor.

I attempted to cut out of a full sheet a piece that fit down the length of the coach through the kitchen into the bathroom. I was sore this morning from fitting and cutting the piece in, many trips, the old measure twice cut once wood thing wore me out. Late yesterday afternoon I was wore slick and the piece fit but didn't fit. Basically there were gaps that I couldn't live with. It was kinda like politics, when you're trying to make both sides work you end up with neither side working. This morning I will cut a full sheet in two length wise. I will snap a line down the middle of the coach. Then I will cut each side at a time and glue them down. I don't like the seam down the middle but I don't want to chew up another $18.00 piece of wood either.

The vinyl will float over the subfloor. I never noticed the soft spot with the carpet. Glenda did but then she's a lot more observant than I am.

Barb, we're not there yet on the kitten. We had a cat, Doser's cat, started out as a feral kitten he found, great cat, just enough pig in it to qualify as a ham. But he went out one night in Roswell and we believe an owl did what owls do to cats. Doser had a hard time with the loss of Chewy, aka Doser's chew toy. Chewy grew up and became Chewer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1034.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	166857  
Old 06-29-2017, 08:35 AM   #448

Winnebago Owners Club
Harvey - you have the patience and "stick to it ness" that will get it done with great results.

I would consider more seams by laying the sheets sideways. Not sure what thickness you are using but if you were putting in half inch, laying two 1/4 inch sheets would allow you to laminate and reduce seams. Enough I believe to mitigate the majority of the issues.

Please tell Glenda that we understand the mess is a man thing! LOL

Several good items came from this. I saw Lloyds stairwell and thought it was pretty trick. It is on our list to do. My nephew is really good with tile so was considering that. Difficult to make work but would be a great result. Now rethinking. Will be crawling under today to check options.

Looking forward to more photos.