Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2017, 06:19 PM   #449

Gordon check out the photo. We're using 3//8" B/C plywood with the finished side up. I made a cardboard template for the bathroom and cut it out of one piece. Then I couldn't get it to fit because of stuff in the way. So I had to cut it into two pieces. I thought of what you had said about the seams and it inspired me to get a little creative.

We should have the new sub floor in tomorrow. I haven't decided where we are going to start but right now I'm thinking about a snapped line front to back for a refererence line, check out spacing so that I don't have a place where there's a half inch piece needed, and then start at the rear because the mattress will be in the cab area.

This is getting to be fun, a little hot with all of the cutting etc outside in the sun but it is what it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1037.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	166913  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #450

Winnebago Owners Club
Harvey - neat solution. What would happen if you filled the seam with epoxy? Or Liquid Nails?

LOL Looks a lot neater than the previous pictures. Miss Glenda must be exerting a positive influence!!!
Old 06-30-2017, 04:46 AM   #451

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A excellent product to fill cracks/seams and level the floor is Durhams Rock Hard Water Putty. You can buy it at Lowes and HD.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Durham-s-64...mpound/3143343
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:57 AM   #452

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
You are making great progress. Keep up the good work.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:56 PM   #453

Thanks for the suggestions on the gap filling. I hadn't really thought about it at all because the Allure is pretty tough stuff and the gaps are all 1/8" or less. I'll let you know what I do.

This morning we got hit with a pretty serious setback in the scheduled departure date. We're looking right now at the end of July. Last night when Glenda came to bed she informed me that the bridge that had bothered had finally broken. So this morning she hung around the house with a call into the dentist and some shopping to do. I went out to Jane and removed the last of the carpet and pad that was around the bed.

She called me about lunch time pretty well tore up. The dentist had got her message and made some calls. The issue involves the breast cancer and treatments. We can't go without doing anything because they would have to put Glenda on antibiotics until they could work on it. Glenda's system would suffer if she was on antibiotics for any extended period of time. So doing nothing is out.

One of the calls the dentist made was to an oral surgeon. He won't be back in town until the 10th. The surgeon can't do anything without consultations with Glenda's doctor and her oncologist. Anyone who has worked with the medical community knows that herding cats is easy compared to getting multi specialties consulting.

The bridge was between two teeth that had root canals done earlier. The missing tooth was tied to them. Because of the cancer treatments the teeth had been weakened and both anchoring teeth failed which broke the bridge. Even though the chemo treatments were finished for the most part a year ago we are still feeling the after effects.

She called my dad. Dad being dad he was like, "hey, you get here in August we'll have six weeks in the mountains, you go home for a month and we'll have all winter in Yuma. This is not a big thing."

I got the carpet and pad out. The new subfloor pieces cut. And then I changed hats and jumped on Scott's new Skagg 61" cut zero turn mower. It will cut a clean cut five feet across through heavy grass running at full speed. Neighbor said I looked like a teenager flying across the yard like a wild thing. Did I mention that it has an air suspension seat? That makes a huge difference. On the older 48" cut machine I wouldn't be able to type for a couple of days cutting at that speed over the rough lawn. Then I did some other non-RV stuff to get away from it all.

We got storms coming in tonight and into late morning. We'll be back on Jane tomorrow getting her ready so that when the doc's give us the go ahead we're outa here.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:14 AM   #454

Hi Harvey!

Tell Glenda I feel for her, bummer on the teeth. But she will need them for our small meal in February to celebrate our anniversary at Da Boyz!!!

I hope the doctors all play nice and line up quickky!

L.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:32 AM   #455

Winnebago Owners Club
Please pass our best wishes to Glenda. Has to be disheartening but Harvey said it best. You will still get 6 weeks and we will see you in Yuma.

Your story about the fast mowing made me laugh. Reminds me of the young lady next door. She was a city girl and watching her mow the lawn is entertaining. They have a cub cadet professional. She puts her head phones on and just motors. They have some pocket gophers so there are mounds pushed up all over. Going at full tilt she will hit the gopher mounds and get air. A couple times she got enough air that she came off the seat and the blades shut off. With her head phones she does not notice the blades shut off so she will travel quite a ways before she sees she is not cutting grass (she actually made two rounds one time before she noticed).
Old 07-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #456

I think you and Scott's neighbor could have some fun swapping stories about neighborhood kids mowing. After I left last night I guess the neighbor told Scott about me running full speed mowing with the new $10,000.00 mower. Scott explained to him that was just me. He went on to tell him that none of the guys will let me ride their motorcycles or their four wheelers because all I know is WOT (wide open throttle). Scott exaggerates.

Glenda is all excited this morning about getting back after Jane. She's accepted the hiccup for what it is and we're moving on.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:40 PM   #457

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Harvey, please give Glenda my best wishes for a less complicated bridge replacement. Before I finished reading about the chemo tie-in I was going to suggest she wait until Yuma to get it fixed. I had all my teeth capped just over the border for about 25% of what it would have cost in the states. Her case requires too much coordination to make that happen. But, since the chemo caused this you might have a case for getting her health insurance to cover part of the cost.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:00 PM   #458

Glenda,s Dental problems

What a bummer having to change your travel plans. Dh is having extensive dental work done at the University of Buffalo Dental school in Buffalo, NY. Some of his bridges don;t last long or they recommend Dental implants at $1200.50 a piece. He needs two. It would be cheaper to get dentures. He told me if it was such a good ides that I should get dentures. He is looking at another fifteen visits or more. The cost all total to fix cracked teeth ect. is about &5.000. Good thing DH is going to get $ from an accident settlement. Best of luck in getting a treatment plan.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:41 PM   #459

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Harvey, it is a shame Glenda can't get her teeth fixed across the border in Los Algodones, it would be half the cost, and just as good service! Hope the insurance pony's up! Jane is coming along! Rail!
Old 07-02-2017, 02:14 AM   #460

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
Give Glenda our best about getting things fixed up. Sounds like a hoot with your mowing.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:30 AM   #461

The sub floor is in so today I start the Allure installation TrafficMASTER Allure 6 in. x 36 in. Country Pine Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring (24 sq. ft. / case)-33114 - The Home Depot

If you look at the pattern closely you can see why I like it so much. It looks lived in, almost like I've lived there.

I'm going to start in the bedroom because we've got everything from the bedroom in the living room area. The best thing about the installation is the a/c works in the coach. This is going to be fun.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:33 AM   #462

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Harvey, it is a shame Glenda can't get her teeth fixed across the border in Los Algodones, it would be half the cost, and just as good service! Hope the insurance pony's up! Jane is coming along! Rail!
I agree. Janet is getting substantial work done down there at less than half the cost. I think our dentist down there is better than my dentist at home. I had some work done in Mexico. My Canadian dentist said it was good work even though he seemed unhappy with them doing it. He wanted 1800 per crown while I paid 1100 for two. The Mexican dentist has a full lab and 3D printed the crowns on site. Installed, no adjusting and working great with no issues two years later.

The flooring will look really good. Looking forward to seeing photos of the installation.