Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #463

Well today was another good day in the life. I got the ladder rack installed inside Scott's new gutter trailer, the machine secured to the floor, and the aluminum tool box in place and secured. Then Glenda got to the farm and we cooked some burgers on the grill. I make a pretty good burger patty on occasion. Today's was as good as any I've ever done and there was the just the two of us. That's all right.

I worked on Jane for only an hour and a half. I finished up the sub floor in the bedroom. So stuff like the mattress is in the driver's area of the coach. I decided to start the Allure installation in the bed room.

I love the color Miss Glenda chose. And the Allure is very easy to install. Almost every piece today had to be custom cut. But once I'm out of the bedroom then it should open up and we should find it easier going once we hit the kitchen and living room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1047.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	167455   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1049.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	167456  

Name:	IMG_1050.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	167457  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2017, 04:56 AM   #464

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
Looking good.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:53 AM   #465

Nice! I also like the color.

L.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:54 AM   #466

Winnebago Owners Club
Really nice Harvey. Going quickly considering the time you spent as well as the complexity of fitting pieces. It looks like you have installed some on the wall with wainscoting. Kewl!

Going to be fun when you get some straight runs.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:17 AM   #467

The vertical material is original to the coach. But in the normal light of the coach it's hard to see much difference. Right now with windows wide open for light it can be seen but it doesn't clash too much.

I'm using some aluminum sheet metal snips and a box knife for cutting and trimming the pieces. I will have to go back with some 1/4 round trim to cover some gaps, this is an assembly line built coach so squareness is and isn't according to location.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:47 PM   #468

Today was a full day. Even if it doesn't look like it we got a lot done. We got the bedroom all cut in. I do believe every piece had to be trimmed. Now we're moving into the bathroom area.

If you attempt this I can't emphasize how much having that reference line helped. The cabinets etc all seem to have their own concept of centerline. I can see where it would be easy as heck to get off line and end up with either a real mess or a do over. I don't care for either.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1053.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	167571   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1051.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	340.4 KB
ID:	167572  

Old 07-04-2017, 10:38 PM   #469

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Looking great, Harvey and Glenda! Rail!
Old 07-05-2017, 03:49 AM   #470

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
X2 what rail said/
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:10 AM   #471

Looks good Harvey. When I did mine it took a full 8 hour day for me and a friend to install. The real work was cutting and putting 1/2" X 3/4" molding around all the edges next 2 days.
Here a link to some pictures I took.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:50 AM   #472

Looks great Harvey! Again, I love the color.

Yours also looks great Ron.

L.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:08 AM   #473

Ron your pictures are great. I remember how neat your installation was and we are going to use your idea of the rugs.

Thanks guys for the compliments. Right now I'm seriously considering using caulk instead of 1/4 round for trim. I'm getting better and trying harder to have 1/8" or less for gap. If I can keep the gaps close then a nice dark brown caulk might be worth a try.

My bud the electrical genius called me a couple of days ago and let me know that my solar panel voltage controller and electrical reader was in. I picked them up last night. The reader looks like a tombstone in shape with a 115V male on one side and a female on the other. It gives you voltage, cycles, amps, and has a calculator for figuring annual usage of products. He's was using one to trouble shoot the motor on the gutter machine and I told him that I thought it was handier than a pocket on a shirt. He ordered me one when he ordered the voltage controller for the solar system. It was $55.00 for the pair.

I will probably have to pull the microwave to install the controller but I want it next to the 12 volt circuit breakers above the microwave. That's probably the best location for the meter because it is central in the coach and easy to see at a glance.

This morning on the way to the farm I'm going to pick up one sheet of 3/4" purple insulation. Best thing about me suggested using it around the engine compartment coach side.

For those not familiar with the diesel pusher under the bed is a metal box with a lid secured by screws to isolate the engine from the living areas. Around that is wood and panel frame for the bed. We're going to use the insulation material to fill the sections between the wood frame against the paneling on the inside. It will be just one more barrier insulating the coach. I'll take photos when we do it.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:54 AM   #474

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Harvey,

Is it the battery monitor or the solar charge controller you want to mount above the microwave?

Handy Bob taught me that the solar charge controller should be close to the batteries. Mine is in the house battery compartment.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #475

Ford Super Duty Owner
Coach is lookin great. Good job... And that folks is what a dedicated DIY will do when he cares, professionals need not apply cause you cannot afford it
Old 07-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #476

Photobucket

The screen grab is a picture of Ron doing his Allure installation. And the photo is a shot of the way I did mine. Notice the huge difference. Ron is doing his correctly with the glue strip exposed on the leading end and side. I'm doing it exactly wrong.

However in my defense, the way I started at the end working back meant I had to do it wrong, or at least I felt like I had to do it that way.

The reason I'm mentioning this is my way is a ton harder than Ron's, bassckwards usually is a lot harder. So if you decide to Allure your coach go with their instructions and Ron's example, make it easier on yourself.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1054.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	320.7 KB
ID:	167698