Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #519

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
I enjoy golf. It's a kind of special interaction with the soul, kinda like working out at the gym, at the dentist office.

I'm looking forward to it. With my game and physical size and shape I believe I can get by with buying a set of clubs in Yuma. We'll see.

Today I got the frames done and painted for the floor box. The outside frame was easy compared to the frame for the door itself. Everything had to be within a sixteenth of an inch so it was real fun. But the frames are done and the paint is drying overnight. The photo is of a fit up before clean up and paint.
Wow the fitting looks great.

For me golf is a nice walk broken up with a few "good shot" and many "oh Sh*t" reactions.

Yup golf clubs to be had in Yuma. Several discount dealers and many yard sale specials available. Friend bought a $99 set of new clubs from Walmart including a bag and golfed really well with them. Found the pro shop at the city course is reasonably priced with the high end equipment. I have been thinking about it but have not lived up to the potential of the clubs I currently have.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #520

Golf is a lot like welding. When someone makes it look easy, be careful, you can't trust them! They share that frustration that comes with acquiring skills and just as importantly, the satisfaction you get when it comes together and works.

The best Goodwill I've ever been to is in Yuma. For some goofy reason it seems people pass on or give up and their heirs come in and only want things to go away so they can get on with their lives. I figure I should be able to find a decent set of clubs at a very good price either at an estate sale or Goodwill. My current set is an assortment of good buys. I would have to work at it to do worse and it would be good to have clubs here and in Yuma. And eighteen holes if walked is around four miles.

Welding aluminum is like golf and shooting pool. You have to do it often to maintain the touch. Yesterday's accomplishment with the frames was about a lot of frustration and then it coming together, finally.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #521

Best laid plans of mice and men........ The paint that matched the color of the transition piece is a mat finish. And it clashes with the original piece when they are that close. I've tried to find a pewter color that matched and haven't had any luck at all. So it looks like I will sand off the paint and I've picked a silver color. The hiccup with it is I will have to mask off and paint the transition piece to match, life in the city when you're this close to the country.

And here I am glued to the telly watching the Open.......double doggone darn my hide.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #522

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry about the paint match. Hope it is not to difficult to make the change. I have found that most people will not notice but you probably are not building it for most people. If it is not right for you, it is not right.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:49 PM   #523

The Open was about as good as it gets when it comes to golf. I was locked in from breakfast until about lunch when it was over.

I ended up buying three cans of close color at HD, three more cans of different but close at Lowes, and then this afternoon I went through a pretty good assortment of automotive finishes at an O Reilly's. It turned out the HD champagne mist was right on the money, or close enough for the girls I chase.

Glenda has been down for most of the day with that dreaded third day is the worst day for pain day. She's doing better already, giving me orders for tomorrow even. We still think it will be the 11th when we leave. Well, maybe not the 11th, 8-11 is a day I try to take it easy, one of the luckiest/unluckiest days of my life.

I was going to put Jane up on the ramps this afternoon but we're going to have to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic it looks like for me to get it where I want. I can do that tomorrow. This afternoon at 5:30 I went through a shower on the way home, couldn't believe it. Got back to Wylie and the clock at the bank said 104 degrees at almost six pm. Right now we're on a thunderstorm watch coming in from the north, gotta luv the Texas weather.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:01 PM   #524

3/4" rain last night, kinda cool this morning.

My objective this morning was to get Jane up on the ramps so I would have easy access to the undercarriage. That was changed when I hit the ignition switch and she was dead, stone cold nothing.

I started at the battery and went from there chasing good voltage. I ended up in the panel behind the dash where all the solenoids etc are located. The voltage ended at the big solenoid in the middle. Voltage coming in, nothing going out.

So I called my electronic genius over. He jumpered the solenoid and we had everything as before, started right up, everything seemed to work. He removed the jumper, still worked. I shut off the motor and we were back to stone cold nothing until we jumpered the solenoid again.

So we have some kind of interlock circuit, thought it might be the seat switch, ruled that out. I thought I had a wiring diagram, oops. So I'm doing searches for the circuit using the wiring code on the wires to the solenoid, no luck so far.

Any help would be appreciated. The solenoid works like it should. And when it operates everything else works as it should. But the wiring to the solenoid is interrupted by something that isn't working. The only thing I've removed from the electronic circuits was a Mickey Mouse keyboard for the air horns and the CB radio. I just trimmed them out and don't see how I could have caused damage to another circuit.

The wires are coded 109772 01 GL and 109772 01 LR. Short them out and the system works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1117.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	169991  
Old 07-25-2017, 09:02 AM   #525

Winnebago Owners Club
Harvey;
Not going to be much help I'm afraid.

I have the wire identification chart for my coach:

GL - from: water/holding tank level sensors to: ground
LR - from: battery mode switch (aux start switch) to: battery mode switch (aux start solenoid)

LR seems to have some potential. GL may be just a convenient ground???

Hopefully the codes are to a standard.

Do you have a remote start switch someplace? We had an old bus rear engine school bus with a start switch by the engine.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:02 AM   #526
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Harvey,

Just a crazy thought. Jane's chassis is a Spartan, right? Would Spartan have wiring diagrams available? Here is the link to their RV support page with email address and phone numbers.

RV Chassis Support
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #527

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
I am sure you already tried this, but I had a similar problem with the start solenoids on a Southwind gas MH that I had, and ended up installing a new solenoid to cure the problem. Did you try running a powered jumper to the control lug on the solenoid to see if it would trigger that way? Either the trigger is not getting power to trip the solenoid, or the solenoid is defective. As I said above, I am sure that you have already tried this, but just in case, another set of eyes sometimes helps.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:30 PM   #528

Quick update. I spent the morning on the phone with Spartan and Winnebago. I can't say enough how much I appreciate their patience and help. Basically WGO had me use the extra battery switch and everything started working like it should after a couple of starts.

Jane is now in her high heels (on ramps) and we're moving on to the next stage of her journey towards getting on the road.

Thanks for the ideas and help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1118.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	476.4 KB
ID:	170090  
Old 07-25-2017, 04:21 PM   #529

Winnebago Owners Club
Didn't realize you have a WGO. Therefore the codes are applicable as I got the wire identification chart from WGO.

The LR code is from the aux battery switch to the solenoid. Makes sense now.

I find the support from WGO is superlative.

Tomorrow our coach goes up on some ramps. Going to have to add a wire to the existing system to get it to do what I want.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:39 PM   #530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Didn't realize you have a WGO. Therefore the codes are applicable as I got the wire identification chart from WGO.

The LR code is from the aux battery switch to the solenoid. Makes sense now.

I find the support from WGO is superlative.

Tomorrow our coach goes up on some ramps. Going to have to add a wire to the existing system to get it to do what I want.
That's the circuit. We tried everything including a back door to get the download on the wiring diagram and couldn't get it to display on the iPad Pro. I'm on the iMac now and will try to get the download and print it out.

One of the things I wanted to do with the new radio installation was to make it a hot wire so we could use the radio without the ignition switch on. Then while messing with the rocker switches working on the ignition circuits I found there is a rocker switch that does the same thing, doggone, some of these guys are so smart.

We're doing our list now. Up to now we've just fixed things. Now we're setting up lists and doing prioritizing. Some of the stuff I can do in the mountains and other stuff needs to be done here. Moving the coach over to the ramps started a fire in the belly I do believe. We're going to have some fun yet.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:39 AM   #531

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
Glad that you got things worked out and that Jane is working like she should now. Some of us(read, a lot of us) just can't leave things as they are, we can always fin things to ungrade make better or change, lol. I think that is why we get along so well, we have a lot in common.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:41 AM   #532

Hey Harvey!

Are your ramp wooden? I need a set for Ms Prissy, was thinking of building a set.

L.