Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2017, 08:11 AM   #729

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
Today with a nap in between we did some more work on the poinsettias concept. Originally it was supposed to go on the flagpole but weight and wind concerns have changed that.

I thought I would see how it would fit in the front walk gate arch. Now the idea is to set it up on top of the arch using the arch as a ribbon and bow. I mean, heck, anyone can make a poinsettia out of steel rod, but with a bow, not so much.

Tomorrow we do a steel run. We need some stock for the anvil stand and some other projects. I've got a material list for the steel building to call into Phoenix. One of the interesting things about that is they are used to taking your size of building and then telling you everything you need. It will be fun to see how they take just a simple material list.
Lovely
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2017, 08:44 PM   #730

The days are full. Today we finished the poinsettias petals and leaves part of the Xmas decoration. The anvil stand is also done, critical mass for sure. We hope to start wiring up the decoration tomorrow.

The steel supply has been a disaster. I've been disappointed with two different entities so we will keep on hunting for that one we know is out there. The same for the materials for the new shed. Just about the time we think we have a winner we find we are wrong, again. So today we are trying a different tack into the wind, tired of being blown over by the "this is the way it's done" gale.

One of the fun things here is cuz's husband, CIL I guess, and myself play off each other pretty good. He was a real welder in a real shop doing real welding to real specs. He's also anal about perfection. I on the other hand was born with wings on the diapers and have been airborne every since. The other day we had our come to hay souix meeting. I explained to him that there's the real world where the eyes look at something and the priority is finding flaws. Then there's the art world. In the art world we don't worry about flaws because the eye of the beholder will see in it what they want. So we make what we want and they will see what they want, it's all good. "Hold on buttercup, we're in my world now." I think he's having fun. At least he isn't bored.

I'm having more fun than I should. And one of the benefits of living in the Foothills is those guys with cool old cars live up here. There isn't a day when I don't see a new old car to lust over. They're everywhere. I've known for years that the old guys are the only ones who can afford the really neat old cars. Now I know where they live. Frosting on a cake for sure.

The concrete table top is nice because a wire brush will clean off the burn marks and it's ready to use again. I saw some bearings the other day and had an "AHA!"moment. They make the bender better, twenty plus years and I've finally did an improvement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dj+bZsWYRI66kMp7+5hVgQ.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	543.2 KB
ID:	184152   Click image for larger version

Name:	sQU8xYNRQTCp8VltoU4tIA.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	347.8 KB
ID:	184153  

Name:	%Piq0HRuRRee9BoBIRDAeg.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	184154   Click image for larger version

Name:	j0AtpQnCRO6Nve7ycbqsJg.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	184155  

Old 11-29-2017, 01:57 PM   #731

Galdangit Sir.......I am jealous of that there anvil...sure is a nice one....We had a big one like that a work but never got myself a good one for my home shop, always made do. You know how it is, always some other expense gets in the way.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #732

Quote:
Originally Posted by olcarguy View Post
Galdangit Sir.......I am jealous of that there anvil...sure is a nice one....We had a big one like that a work but never got myself a good one for my home shop, always made do. You know how it is, always some other expense gets in the way.
Cuz in law bought it about 45 years ago new for shoeing his own horses. He says it never has had hot iron on it, man is it in for a surprise! It's about a 120 lb farriers anvil. My anvil at home is a 212 lb Hay Budden.

Tomorrow will be finishing up the ribbon, paint, and then tying all the bulbs to the frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dPqIg9pURhKcFN5hCxHMzw.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	184223   Click image for larger version

Name:	+6osfHj6T++oRKzLOwT9Zg.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	184224  

Old 11-29-2017, 07:29 PM   #733

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Harvey, your neighbors are gonna be really jealous of your new decor! Can’t wait to see the final pics.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:04 PM   #734

Thought it looked close to new. I get by with a 80lb China piece of. You know....

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”93 Coachmen Pusher 38' 8.3Cummings, 6sp Alison. "Roy"
olcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:16 AM   #735

Looks great Harvey!
Old 11-30-2017, 08:33 AM   #736

Winnebago Owners Club
Nice
Old 11-30-2017, 08:53 PM   #737

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Looks great, Harvey! Can't wait to see it with lights on it!
Old 11-30-2017, 09:14 PM   #738

Today was cool and the paint didn't want to dry. I didn't get to installing the lights until late and then I discovered the standard four inch spacing was too wide for the effect I was looking for.

Those lights will be pulled and then reinstalled with 2 inch spacing. Hopefully tomorrow evening we will have a light show.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	G0gPhqxZRxKOdWs4dzm2ew.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	184341  
Old 12-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #739

One of the advantages of being retired is time management. One of the things i realized last night was that there had to be a better way to tie those lights. Standing on a ladder was too much like work.

One of the things I had tossed into the belly of Jane for the trip was a selection of pipe clamps. So I decided I needed some saw horses made with the pipe clamps and some 1" electrical conduit. This makes it much easier.

While out getting the conduit, more lights, etc I did some more searching for my steel supplier. I might have found it. Pickers dream including 85 year old curmudgeon with a passion for negotiating. We're going to have fun, probably more fun for him than me.

The great advantage of owning vs renting is you get to do things your way. A big disadvantage is if it was done wrong originally, you get to do it over but right. We've found the wiring to the RV pedestals and casita substandard to the point of being dangerous. CIL and me have this.

Some of the thrifty types might appreciate the saw horses. Legs are 1" schedule 40 PVC conduit. Cross pieces are 1" schedule 80 PVC conduit. And the clamps are available in the chain link fence materials section at the hardware store for making gates. After the poinsettia is finished we will add some schedule 80 cross pieces to make this into a table and put the Hardi Back on it for our welding table.

Time management: Nap, steel supply search, electrical nightmare investigation, saw horse construction, = no poinsettia wiring
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EFcZ7iogRVeX+XqHTl9YiQ.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	653.2 KB
ID:	184421   Click image for larger version

Name:	sSgw3tAtTUueGiBGnH23CA.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	610.0 KB
ID:	184422  

Old 12-01-2017, 08:37 PM   #740

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So you sunk the PVC right into the ground? Did you cement them in place? That sure saves on materials!

Edit - now I see a second leg on each end. So they are free standing. I'm still impressed!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-01-2017, 08:43 PM   #741

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
So you sunk the PVC right into the ground? Did you cement them in place? That sure saves on materials!

Edit - now I see a second leg on each end. So they are free standing. I'm still impressed!
They're handy as a pocket on a shirt.

Come March they will be folded together and placed away until our return next November
Old 12-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #742

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Slick! Very slick!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]