Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2017, 07:55 PM   #757

i'm glad y'all like the poinsettia. It's getting a lot of attention, consensus seems to be that it is the only one on this side of town.

This afternoon I figured out how to make the gold lights work and installed them. They make a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZfOvZrviTkGJxG+L7j3FSw.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	185185   Click image for larger version

Name:	kr2WRiYzS7yQODR1UUQ5sA.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	185186  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2017, 08:07 PM   #758

Some people don't have to hunt for a challenge. For them a challenge just happens at the weirdest times and for the dumbest reasons.

Yesterday when we first installed the poinsettia a pair of humming birds showed up very interested. it was the first humming birds we had seen here so an hour or so later while shopping at Tractor Supply we picked up a humming bird feeder for our new friends.

One of the things we inherited with the place is one of those imitation wrought iron yard hanger things for whatevers. Cuz had installed her fairy lights, cutest little things, one on each arm. As you can see there was no room for the new humming bird feeder.

That was yesterday evening. This morning i grabbed a piece of the 1/4" bar stock I used to make the frame for the poinsettia. A bend here, tweak there, and a couple of other bends, problem solved.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	qCUoJahSS1S1rus81ny%Fg.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	533.3 KB
ID:	185191   Click image for larger version

Name:	0okeMxA3SAKudwY8UbKVUg.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	376.5 KB
ID:	185192  

Name:	eJf4vypkSna0UsFWKPohfg.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	185193  
Old 12-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
You could make some to sell for extra income. Perhaps you can pick up some lights on the reduced after christmas.
That is not something you make and sell I'm afraid. Labor and materials would put that one in the thousand dollar range, add reasonable profit and you're looking at $1,500.00

However, I'm looking at some products I can blacksmith up and sell. The down side of that here in Yuma is anything that becomes popular would be copied quickly and mass marketed by the swap meet vendors. And of course a piece mass produced using cold bend methods wouldn't have the finish and quality of hot work. But them most of the people interested in stuff like this aren't into the quality as much as the price, nature of the beast.

We'll see how it shakes out. I could use the money.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #760

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
That is not something you make and sell I'm afraid. Labor and materials would put that one in the thousand dollar range, add reasonable profit and you're looking at $1,500.00

However, I'm looking at some products I can blacksmith up and sell. The down side of that here in Yuma is anything that becomes popular would be copied quickly and mass marketed by the swap meet vendors. And of course a piece mass produced using cold bend methods wouldn't have the finish and quality of hot work. But them most of the people interested in stuff like this aren't into the quality as much as the price, nature of the beast.

We'll see how it shakes out. I could use the money.
Plus, Harvey, being so close to the border, the things could and would be copied and made across the border, very cheaply! It would be very hard to do it cheaper than the Mexican's! Just say'n!
There is a lot of iron worked stuff for sale in Algodones! Rail!
Old 12-09-2017, 02:46 AM   #761

Poinsettia with all the colors working is fantastic.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:14 AM   #762

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Plus, Harvey, being so close to the border, the things could and would be copied and made across the border, very cheaply! It would be very hard to do it cheaper than the Mexican's! Just say'n!
There is a lot of iron worked stuff for sale in Algodones! Rail!
And, huge and, according to the blacksmithing instructor at the local jr college, he buys his steel in Mexico for about half the price.

One of the things I respect is the ability of the Mexican craftsman to copy something. A blacksmith world renown who is now in prison had an hispanic worker that was the best. His work was so good that I could identify it just by the appearance, embarrassed some buds doing some work for an antique shop when I challenged the scroll quality as being his. They admitted it was.

A young man worked for me that had the personality that was happiest doing something over and over again. I could create one of something and then hand it over to him. By the fifth or sixth one he was turning them out and they were better than I could ever do. We were the perfect team, I can't do two of anything the same and that's all he wanted to do, make the same thing over and over again and getting better each time. I'm sure there is a shop somewhere profiting off of his skills.

I saw the same thing in Haiti. In the market place in Port Au Prince I found a blacksmith turning out tools made with used rebar. His cold chisels had the blade surface of those made with machines, not a hammer mark to be seen. He was amazing.

I can't compete with the craftsmen in Mexico when it comes to price and skills. But there might be a niche here where some of my ideas will find a small market that is willing to pay for things not popular enough to demand mass production.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:27 AM   #763

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
i'm glad y'all like the poinsettia. It's getting a lot of attention, consensus seems to be that it is the only one on this side of town.

This afternoon I figured out how to make the gold lights work and installed them. They make a difference.
Very Pretty.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #764

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You do have amazing skills Harvey. The Poinsettia looks wonderful.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:47 PM   #765

It was decided that we needed a Christmas tree. As you know a Christmas tree can be drawn out using fish hooks turned inside out and upside down, at least that's how I do it.

And you can't have a Christmas tree without presents.

So today we got after fish hooking and then box making. It's welded up so what's left is cleaning and painting, then light installation.

The materials for the new building is on order. It should be delivered within the next week. It was a ton of calls and comparing apples, oranges, even a watermelon or two. As of right now we're ahead by a third on the price of materials here on the ground at the property.

We're planning on one more Christmas ornament. As you know they always come in threes.........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	15Zp2g5sQCmzjLLy81qvWA.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	783.8 KB
ID:	185552   Click image for larger version

Name:	TMBVUJYNT7amYU6pUPd9gQ.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	450.9 KB
ID:	185553  

Name:	fGkK4oL%RZ2G5WSIqxbXKw.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	185554  
Old 12-13-2017, 06:44 AM   #766

The third one will come in a few months. I can't WAIT to see the EASTER BUNNY!

From one metal worker to another, check out the avatar . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post

That’s gorgeous. And the story of making it has to be fascinating.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:36 PM   #768

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Harvey,

Are you gonna put bows and ribbon on the packages under the tree? I'm anxious to see it finished and lit. Keep this up and in a few years yours will be one of those "you gotta drive by some night in December" places.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:20 PM   #769

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
Tree looks great. Nice job as usual.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:47 AM   #770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post

Quote:
That’s gorgeous. And the story of making it has to be fascinating.
I've followed this thread from the beginning, just lurking. I really appreciate the work you do, and that you were able to "polish the edges" of a really nice coach, making it your own through custom touches! Sometimes a little less required "polishing" would be nice, but then that wouldn't be our lives, would it?

Thanks for the kind words on the Pelican. Attached are a few other pieces DW and I have done.

We use the coach to go to art shows, and from weekend to weekend, between art shows, heck, we're on vacation!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote