Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #1079

Both Pex clamps and Sharkbite fittings are awesome. After years of catching things on fire while using a torch to sweat copper fittings, I recently discovered the new method of plumbing. It is truly a gift from the the gods!
OldandOlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #1080

I appreciate your going through all the details of things. I am finally putting things back together on my motorhome, and though I have been in the construction industry for 3 decades, I was unaware of the recall on the grey polybutelyne "qest" piping. I have used it in the past and I guess I just assumed that PEX had evolved out of the qest piping. At this point I have all the plumbing exposed (qest of course) so I just purchased a roll of blue and a roll of red PEX to replace it all. I use the stuff quite frequently so I have the crimp tools and the copper bands. I don't know why people use anything else for supply lines.

Anyway, I really appreciate all the information you share. I have gotten a couple good ideas from reading this thread. So: Thank you!
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #1081
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
so I just purchased a roll of blue and a roll of red PEX to replace it all. I use the stuff quite frequently so I have the crimp tools and the copper bands.
Brob, Just to jump in here for a minute. You may already know this... There are PTC (Push To Connect) fittings for PEX. Simply cut the tubing square and insert the pipe. The pipe can be disconnected easily if needed. The advantage, besides disconnecting without cutting the pipe, is speed of installation.

The cost of the fittings is higher, but the labor savings and dis-assembly ability may be more valuable.

As I said, with your construction industry experience, you may already know about PTC fittings.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:54 PM   #1082

Yes, I appreciate it. I do use the push-to-connect fittings where I may need to later disassemble for whatever reason.
For me, PEX has made plumbing so much more tolerable. I have never cared for using solvents in tight quarters; nor do I particularly like attempting to sweat copper inches away from flammable materials.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #1083

Another great thing about the PTC fittings is that they can be used to transition from either cpvc or copper to PEX.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:02 PM   #1084

Gulf Streamers Club
There are also transition fittings to use between the gray stuff and pex. If you are just doing a repair and not replacing all. Most of the failures of the qest were fittings, not the pipe itself.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:34 PM   #1085

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
There are also transition fittings to use between the gray stuff and pex. If you are just doing a repair and not replacing all. Most of the failures of the qest were fittings, not the pipe itself.

ronspradley
Yeah, but I have her torn down to the studs with all the supply lines exposed. I'm just going to be done with all of it while it's easy to get to. My luck I'd get all the cabinetry built and something would give in the worst spot.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:18 PM   #1086

Gulf Streamers Club
Brob, I was just mentioning the available transitions for cases where full access is not available. If I had full access I would use pex everywhere, with the crimp fittings. Crimp because I already have the fittings and crimping tool. And because I just trust the old school way of doing things. Unless of course you believe you might need the connection to come apart at some time in the future. Then the push connectors would be the right choice.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:12 PM   #1087

Yep, we're on the same page. I like the fact that the PEX can take the pressure too. No worries of too much water pressure when going to different locations.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:10 AM   #1088

An update is due.

Jane is doing fine. We started her up the other day and let her run. The crack and rumble of the diesel is a sweet sound for the soul. We’ve got a list of things to take care of before we head out but they’re nothing really major, mostly just routine stuff you have to do with an older motorhome.

The welding shop is coming along fine. We still haven’t sold the house and we’re still not worried because there’s so much work to do. Glenda spends a lot of time with her digging fork removing cockle burrs (porcupine eggs) and sand burrs (sand lice) from the grass. She loves digging in the sandy soil so it’s not really work for her. The fence is also coming together as I gather materials for it.

The hummingbirds are coming through and about ten of them keep us entertained with their games at the three feeders. We had one dominant red throat that I named Samurai Sam because he wouldn’t let anyone else feed from the feeder by the porch. So I hung a couple of more further out figuring he couldn’t guard them all. They feed at the outliers but the games are at the original location and it is wonderful to watch.

Dozer dawg has made this place his own. We don’t really have any fences, east side is four strands of barbwire in the brush and trees. He’s settled in to just our property except when one of us visits the neighbors.

For a couple of years Glenda would muse about us going full time. That is not something we’re thinking about anymore. We’ve got four months in Jane with the little house holding the fridges and freezers along with the washer and dryer. In fact when you consider Yuma we’ve 3 of 9 months in the house in Wylie this year. We’re having a ton of fun building Thereabouts our way and at our pace.

Dad is in assisted living. He’s really liking it. 92 1/2 years old and happy, he has the magic to adjust to the situation and appreciate the advantages it offers. When he was my age he lost mom and we worried how he would make it without her. He thrived when she was alive and he thrived after she was gone. There’s some kind of magic there.

Today I will be framing the walls of the welding/blacksmith shop. I am so blessed to have fun projects. Glenda will be mowing and continuing the war on the burrs. One of the neighbors told her she was wasting her time digging them up. She let them know it was her time and her property so she could do what she wanted how she wanted.

I hope y’all are having twice the fun we are.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #1089

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Men in assisted living centers are vastly out numbered by women. I'm sure your Dad is enjoying all the extra attention he's getting. ;-) Being able to adapt and thrive in a new environment is a gift that has led to your Dad's longevity and a lesson for us all. Enjoy life and be happy wherever you may be.

I'm so happy for all of y'all and hope to run into you in AZ this winter.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:16 AM   #1090

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Men in assisted living centers are vastly out numbered by women. I'm sure your Dad is enjoying all the extra attention he's getting. ;-) Being able to adapt and thrive in a new environment is a gift that has led to your Dad's longevity and a lesson for us all. Enjoy life and be happy wherever you may be.

I'm so happy for all of y'all and hope to run into you in AZ this winter.
Sorry for the delay in replying Barb. Dad is doing fine in the assisted living. A couple of weeks in his roommate passed away and dad lost the tv in the room. But dad being dad, took it all in stride and they hadn’t sold his old tv yet so he now has his own tv and he has the room to himself.

Dad is thriving, it’s men only, and he’s even okay with that because the help is mostly women and dad has always had a way with women. He has Paul Newman’s blue eyes, that might have something to do with it.

Glenda is going to town today for doctor’s appointments and while in town she’s going to pick up the ingredients for some snack mix for dad. He does love his snack mix. She talked to his nurse yesterday and she thought that would be a good idea.

Today’s going to be wet, same for tomorrow. Monday I was forming up the first 5’ X 15’ concrete pour when I got a call. A bud had some steel bar joists along with some red iron for me to pick up at a construction site if I wanted it. Another bud was close by so I had him look at it. He said I had better grab it while I could because if I waited it would be gone. I grabbed his 32’ dual tandem gooseneck and drove into Dallas area to pick it up. It was five pieces and at least 25,000 lbs. None of it work for me but my bud who had checked it out wanted it for his place. So I got to make the fifty mile highly illegal trip with rain chasing me the whole way home. It was a nightmare but we made it home.

The brakes were a little spongy so when I got home I checked them, yesterday was replacing rear rotors and new pads all around. I’m too old for this mechanicing stuff. Lucille has the same brakes as the medium duty motorhomes with 19.5’s.

It appears that maybe in the morning I will have a window in the weather to finally get the Monday morning pour done. The pour involves 1 1/4 yards of concrete mixed in my 9 cu ft mixer. That’s four mixer loads put through the mixer and then finished. I’ve already mixed 4 cu yds that way. Where the blacksmithing power hammer is going I poured a 5’ X 5’ X 16” pad to take the beating.

Anyone how has had rotator cuff issues can appreciate my situation. I can fill the mixer with sand and gravel using a square point shovel with no problems. But if I try to pick up a cup of coffee three feet off to my right I can’t reach it. I’m really looking forward to getting to Yuma and getting it repaired. I’m about 90% strength with the arm if I keep the elbow in close to the body but no strength at all off to the side.

Ron Hall was supposed to get his shoulder operated on Wednesday. I hope it went well. We sent him the ice machine we used back in 2010 when I had the left shoulder rebuilt. He’ll send it back to us when I get to Yuma for my surgery.

We have the house in Wylie under contract and hope to close Nov 1st or 2nd. It looks like we won’t get to Yuma until late November. We’re loving and living the dream here. When the hummingbirds were going through we were going through 40 oz of nectar some days. We have three feeders and have had as many as 25 hummingbirds at one time feeding. If that doesn’t confirm good fortune nothing will. You can be lucky, but being hummingbirds feeding at your house lucky is special.

They’re predicting a low of forty Monday, high forty seven. I guess I’m going to have to go into the container for some winter wear sooner than later.

I hope trouble free travels for those on the road. The same goes for those facing the affects of our weather patterns these days.

We’re living the dream here in Thereabouts, living like we’re dying. We’re busy every day and making progress on building the dream place for us. Jane is holding up fine. We’ve been living in her for months now except for cooking and it looks like she’ll be our home until this time next year. I wish we could upload photos but it looks like it still isn’t to be.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #1091

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the update, Harvey. I’ve been wondering about you and Glenda.

We’re almost in Arizona. We stopped in Vegas for the weekend to visit friends. Q before dark on Monday! It’s nice down here!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #1092

Thank you!!

Harvey, this has been an incredible read! Thank you, and all the other commenters, for making it possible for the rest of us to share your adventures, on the road and at home. Best of wishes to all of you in the future! I hope to read many more posts about your Good Life!
Kate
KYKate is offline   Reply With Quote