Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Oh oh, I think we hit a snag. Some people would argue that it's ALL ugly weight! Besides, if I gave up 20 lbs of what isn't the WORST of the ugly, where would that leave me?!?
I guess we had better leave it at that. Gawd knows I’ve got enough ugly to deal with already.

This morning at Lowes I came about four people looking at a pallet. Sixtysh woman, sixtyish man, twenty something male, and a forty something. One of them pointed out one end was real heavy and the other was light. Only the forty something was at the heavy end so I reached down and grabbed one side, “let’s do this.”

We placed it on the cart and pointed out to the forty something there was three of them down at the light end, and a seventysh helping him at the heavy end. “Damn, I hope I can get around like that at your age.”

I do too.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2018, 06:06 AM   #1108

Some people just won’t leave work alone. The biggest reason I can get done what I do is because Glenda (best thing about me) is always involved.

The health issues are just hiccups for her. 74 years old, breast cancer survivor, colon resection surgery, etc and she stays after it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	767D8791-570E-45BA-BD52-87D8E969C3D7.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	537.3 KB
ID:	224255  
Old 10-29-2018, 06:14 AM   #1109

The floor of the shop is poured!!!! Today we do the approach and then we can put the mixer away for awhile.. Tomorrow I will do some running around for some friends using Lucille to deliver a 32’ dual tandem gooseneck to the Dallas area.

Then Wednesday we start framing up the walls so we can close in the shop and move everything into it. The plan now is to just get the siding up and then cut in the doors and windows next year when we get back from Yuma. We still have the fence across the front to install before we leave.

We’re due to close on the house in Wylie this week, keeping our fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5980944F-80F2-42D2-B04A-6E022D0D0515.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	428.1 KB
ID:	224256  
Old 10-29-2018, 07:43 AM   #1110

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Nice Harvey,
Hope everything goes as planned with the closing. That is going to make you a nice place to do your hobbies(I don't want to say work, cause we retired, Lol).
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:00 AM   #1111

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Frank,

W#@k is a dirty word in my world, but it sure seems like I do a lot more of it since I retired.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:05 PM   #1112

We were done with the concrete pour at 11:22 this morning. It took a little over five mixer loads ( 1 2/3 cubic yards) and at the end I was sweating it. it’s a lot easier to fill the mixer when you’re standing on top of a pile of material and shoveling it down and into the mixer. We have a couple of wheel barrow loads of sand and gravel left of two ten yard truck loads. And I had to shovel the material off of the ground, I had to stand on tip toes to see into the mixer to check production so that meant all of my shovel fulls were higher than my head, darn, get tired just recalling it.

The good thing is the mixer gets put away until we start the fence out front. Now the project is installing the framing and siding on the welding/blacksmith shop.

Life is better than good
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A30950C9-9D87-47C3-9769-FFAE89E97DC5.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	224334  
Old 10-29-2018, 08:08 PM   #1113

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Frank,

W#@k is a dirty word in my world, but it sure seems like I do a lot more of it since I retired.
I talked to the cousin who owns half of the place in Yuma with us today. They are all excited about an outdoor kitchen project waiting for me when we get there.

I don’t have to look for work, it finds me all on it’s own.

BTW, I believe we were designed for work and are happiest when doing it.

See you in Yuma.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:25 PM   #1114

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
W#@k is one thing, having projects that improve your lifestyle is a completely different matter. W#@k is something you do to get paid and a necessity for part of your life. Projects are what you do for yourself and your loved ones, not for money, but for the sheer joy that they bring.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:44 AM   #1115

You still need too rest the body. I see lots of that coming in Yuma.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:06 AM   #1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
W#@k is one thing, having projects that improve your lifestyle is a completely different matter. W#@k is something you do to get paid and a necessity for part of your life. Projects are what you do for yourself and your loved ones, not for money, but for the sheer joy that they bring.
Hmmmm, words. You’re talking about jobs. I haven’t had a job in over twenty years.

When asked about a job I’ve always replied, “ why would I want a job? Everyone I know who has one hates it.”

The last real job I had, got a pickup, gas card, telephone, was 1996. I was supposed to be an inspector manager of a branch of a telephone contractor company. The company I was working for had taken over the master contract of the area with a smooth existing operation between contractors and telco already in place. I was just supposed to show up and make sure the new paperwork worked.

That lasted a couple of weeks. Then I discovered corruption and two months later I was relieved of the job and sent on a nice vacation, paid with vehicle etc, “good job, thanks, let’s find another place in the company for you.” A week or so after coming back to work after vacation I went back to being in it for me. They were glad, I was gladder.

Work for me is challenges that don’t involve the couch.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:39 PM   #1117

The house in Wylie closed yesterday so that is behind us. One of the things we wanted for building the dream here in Thereabouts is a skid steer tractor. I’ve looked at a ton and anything worth spending money on was too expensive. I made a ridiculous offer on this machine, 2013 with less than 400 hours and immaculate.

They took the offer. I was set to travel to Dallas and buy a good used machine for a lot more money with a ton more hours but I had to make an offer and was floored when they took it.

The plan is to keep it for the construction of the barndominium etc and then sell the tractor in a couple of years. Hopefully the cost of ownership will be less than what it would have cost for rental equipment and a lot more convenient.

I asked her (the Volvo) what her name was. I swear she said, “Maggie Jane”. I love it, she shares my grandma’s name and I hope she’s as good a worker as grandma was.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9D08C342-A84A-4C2E-9DC1-E98F6B2162B6.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	225370  
Old 11-08-2018, 06:59 PM   #1118

Wow, looks like a great find Harvey. You will get a lot of use out of that.

When we built our place we bought this machine, we called her "Ole Yeller". We had to make a few repairs but took out about 300 trees and graded all the road and building sites for about $1,000.00 as which was a very good deal. I put over 200 hours on the machine.

L.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20140119_122336_221.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	567.6 KB
ID:	225374  
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:43 AM   #1119

Nice looking skid steer.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:40 AM   #1120

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Nice find Harvey, Maggie Jane will help you with your projects. I can here Yuma calling you.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote