Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2019, 07:26 AM   #1331

A week ago I was on a plane heading to Delaware this time of day. Today I’m involved in another journey. I’m wearing a heart monitor that we take off tomorrow and do the hospital prep for a procedure on Monday. They’re going into the heart for a look see via a vein. Tuesday we had our appointment with a cardiologist and after discussing the same o same o diagnosis over the last ten years, “you look fine now and we don’t know what is going on after acing stress tests etc.”

This round started after my VA doctor heard a murmur and got really concerned about it. That was the first time I’ve been diagnosed with a murmur. I decided to go with a doctor outside of the VA, their plate is full already. The cardiologist jumped on the doing of the procedure after hearing the murmur. Then yesterday the insurance company’s nurse practicioner came by for their annual wellness thing. She also heard the murmur. We’ll know more Monday. The most inconvenient part is not being able to weld. The doc mentioned a pacemaker. That would turn my life upside down. Welding has always been my ace in the hole, I want something, I weld it up.

I’m pretty excited about the barndominium. The way the mind works is a project starts out like an out of focus image in a pair of binoculars. Then it starts coming into focus. Now that I can see the finished structure it’s getting real exciting. I was at J&I steel in Madill Ok yesterday. As I explained the building to the tech who can do the drawing along with a material quote he got lost. He had never seen one quite like that and it was way too complicated. He suggested I come back after I had it framed up. We can do that.

In a metal building you want all of the wiring to be inside conduit, at least I do. The other day I picked up 16 rolls of ten and twelve gauge stranded wire, about fifty percent new 500’ rolls, only two of them were down to about half left. A bud had them for many years and is now comfortable with the idea he will never need them so we did some dickering, I did okay.

We’ve picked up 3 plus inches of rain in the last week. So I’ve been sorting and stacking stuff in the welding shop. Once again now that I’m concentrating on the organization of the shop it’s coming together via the binoculars theory. You have to love it when that happens.

We might have to take a trip in Jane to OKC in the next couple of weeks. That means I have to weld up the exhaust system on Jane sooner than later. Another reason to explain to them a pacemaker might work later but not now.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #1332

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I love your binocular vision theory, Harvey. It sums up the way I do things, too. I just didn’t have the right words to explain it. Thanks for letting me steal it.

OKC has had tons of rain, too! Bring your hip waders.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #1333

Harvey, I am sure you have read up on pacemakers and welding. Lots of recommendations on how to avoid problems.

If I was a Dr I would tell you not to do it. You know CYB stuff.

Would I do it. Not right away. But I would give it a try on flat ground. So I don’t fall far is something goes wrong. Why? Because that’s the way I am. Got to see how it works. Hoping I find out before it kills me. [emoji33][emoji41]

Good luck with the procedure and outcome.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:53 AM   #1334

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
Harvey, I am sure you have read up on pacemakers and welding. Lots of recommendations on how to avoid problems.

If I was a Dr I would tell you not to do it. You know CYB stuff.

Would I do it. Not right away. But I would give it a try on flat ground. So I don’t fall far is something goes wrong. Why? Because that’s the way I am. Got to see how it works. Hoping I find out before it kills me. [emoji33][emoji41]

Good luck with the procedure and outcome.
Doh!!!!

Ron I hadn’t looked it up. With our crappy internet (4G) we don’t jump on things like we used to when we had fiber to the house.

The good news this is doable. The only thing I can see taking a beating would be the tig welding of aluminum. I really don’t see the pace maker as a concern at this time. What I am hoping for is a fix so that I can get back to getting it on, and off. It’s just that I’ve always heard about pacemakers not supposed to be near welding or microwave ovens.

Yesterday I did some things in the shop where I would normally weld and instead used nuts and bolts. It’s all in a mindset.

This morning it’s cold here in Thereabouts. High forties is cold this time of year, especially with a stiff north wind. Chance of rain this afternoon/evening/tomorrow to keep it interesting. I’m fasting, doc’s orders until I’ve done the pre admissions blood test at the hospital. About two o clock I’ll be past hangry and well into male PMS (phreekin’ man starving) mode.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:52 AM   #1335

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
Our thoughts and prayers go out to you for a positive outcome on your procedure.
Frank & Rita
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #1336

I will bolt things together before welding. If it breaks it gets welded. My welding skills are much lower than yours. [emoji849]
Old 05-12-2019, 08:46 AM   #1337

Vintage RV Owners Club
Blessings to you, I hope the procedure goes well!
Old 05-13-2019, 05:28 AM   #1338

Last night I took a shower using some special soap. This morning I have to take another shower using the same special soap and not allowed to use anything including deodorant after. I sure as heck hope the hospital’s a/c works well today. Otherwise I will definitely be persona non grata.

I don’t remember the last time I woke up without gulping down coffee. This is one of those things where we want them to find something and fix it while at the same time we want them to find nothing and let me get back to work on the place. Yesterday I got the wire terminated in the breaker box and in the conduit. It’s ready for the three new welder plugs by the door along with the 15 and 20 amp circuits for lights and various plugs. Plus I’ve arranged a couple of days of sorting and organizing if they restrict my activities.

Yesterday I picked up a sheet metal nibbler that is the size of a worm drive circular saw. It’s the biggest one I’ve ever seen and looks in immaculate condition. I have a Milwaukee 18 ga nibbler but this one looks like it will do 14 ga or better. I bet it was manufactured in the sixties or earlier, love it.

We got lucky with the dirt work for the neighbor’s shop. He showed up yesterday afternoon. After the four inches of rain last week he opened the door and the interior was bone dry. Plus he now has a berm for shooting that I made with the excess dirt. He’s a weekender.

It’s going to be an interesting day.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:19 AM   #1339

I got to use the same stuff for my surgery last year. They will do it again at hospital. If your skin can survive 3 scrubs with that stuff. You one tuff guy. [emoji106]
Best luck with today’s procedures.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:40 AM   #1340

Sorry to hear about the murmur thing
My last Dr visit they said they thought I might be getting one too.
Balderdash!

When I built my shop one of my former Linemen, who had taken a buyout, years earlier, had shut down his Electricians Business and was needing a place to store all his inventory for free.

Sooooo, being the good friend I was, I offered the *just installed" shell of my new shop to him if I could use some of his inventory to wire my shop with.

He agreed! He had a LOT of inventory! And I mean a lot! So, him not having to pay for a warehouse for it, while he shut down the business saved him some cash. And me too!

I'll tell you how I wired my shop to give you some ideas you might want to use on yours.

The ONLY thing I had to purchase was the 200 amp breaker box, the metal outlet boxes, the outlets and light fixtures.
And he let me use his scaffolding, man lift and conduit benders.

He has one of those zig zag benders that put a slight left/ right bends in 1/2 inch conduits so the conduit can be strapped to the wall and zig zagged out a 1/2 inch to mate with the outlet boxes. I wore that thing out, since the conduit and wire were free..........
I have an over build electrical system, all in bent conduit that would make NASA proud.

I put in outlets every 5 feet all the way around the perimeter walls, sans the wall the motor home parks against. It only has 4 outlet boxes. The rest have 10 or 12 each. Oh, the shop is 3000 Sq ft.

Everything is in conduit and every ground floor outlet box is wired for 240 volts. So every other 120 volt outlet is on the same 120 V breaker. And there are a few added boxes tapped off them that have 240 outlets for running welders or plasma cutters. I can add a 240 outlet anywhere just by tapping into an existing box. (Other than the overhead lighting circuits, of course.) I even wired for 2 commercial jackshaft garage door openers in the ceiling for the big doors. (Step son owns a garage door business! So some day!)
(I use 2- 440lb cap electric 120 V winches for garage door openers now.) They work good for this as I often raise the doors only as tall as I need to get what ever stuff I need inside. So I hold the button until I think stuff will clear. There are paint markers to show me where I need to stop for tall stuff 8 bring in a lot.

Most of the circuits are wired 10 gauge, with some dedicated outlets for the compressor and RV wired in 8 or 6 gauge copper.

I did have to buy the lighting fixtures and so i put in 16 - T8 4 foot fixtures. All are wired to switches by the personal entry door. Even the 2 ceiling fans and air compressor relay switches are mounted by that door. This way I can kill all lighting, the compressor ( 80 gallon 3 cylinder PUMA industrial grade ) plus ceiling fans. The only three light I don't have control over at the door are the two over the work benches, one in the upstairs storage loft and the bathroom. The upstairs switch is at the bottom of the stairs going up to it and is only 6 feet from the personal door.

Almost forgot the shop stereo. (200 watts per channel) It's by the entry door as is my phone charger and holder and reel to reel tape deck!

I can shut the entire shop down as I leave through that door as long as I've already turned off the work bench lights.
And my cell phone plays music through the stereo so I can hear it when it rings. Music stops playing when the phone rings, no matter how noisy I am. A bluetooth in my ear and I'm golden.

And we won't even talk about the pneumatic system I installed.

It's a real man cave. 2 car lifts and 2 motorcycle lifts, plus overhead roller winch on an "I" beam inside.
Engines, rearends and transmissions are stored upstairs.

Come see it if you want to. I'm not that far from you. And yes, I have been blessed more than I deserve.

Whoa, didn't realize I REALLY hijacked your thread! My apologies. Anyway, swing down and I'll show to you then treat you to lunch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1491249752718.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	245794  
Curtis in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:27 AM   #1341

Coffee’s good this morning. Glenda’s on me like a bad coat of paint already about removing the wrist board too early. I’m a typist type so I use both hands. Right hand is wrapped to lessen wrist movement. Something about clot in artery breaking loose and severe bleeding event. Three pound limit for four to five days.

They found nothing. Worst they found was a couple places of 40% plaque build up which the doc told Glenda was excellent for a seventy year old. He said we need to see a neurologist.

I guess a gear head is like an engine. We need air, spark, and fuel to run. Air is there even with COPD. Fuel has just been confirmed. Hmmmmmmmm

Curtis your shop looks like the Taj Majal garage. I will have to see if we can’t get over there for a visit. I’m going for downsized but stuff keeps getting in the way.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:01 PM   #1342

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Aren’t you glad that's done, Harvey. Now don’t get too pig headed and do things before you're supposed to do them. Listen to Glenda! Good to hear your tinker is doing it's job well. I think most of us know you'll get good news from the neurologist, too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #1343

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
Glad that your procedure went well.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:08 PM   #1344

Gulf Streamers Club
Good news Harvey. Now do what the doctors and Glenda tell you to.

ron and pebbles
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote