Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2019, 05:57 AM   #1639

Gulf Streamers Club
Yes, September. The month Texas might see some relief from the summer heat. Looking forward to seeing what has been done to the place if I am able to drop by on the way back to the homestead.
We have had rain here in Illinois for the last 4 hours. Should be ending soon. Going to be a pretty day.

ron and pebbles
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2019, 07:01 PM   #1640

The pipe stubs have been cut so I can weld in the plates. I wasn’t too concerned about the exact location of the stubs, concrete crew was going to move them, it’s what they do. And I knew I could locate the plates exactly where i wanted if the stubs came up anywhere close.

This is one of the stub locations on a weld plate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40E6E4D4-6724-491B-B09E-5C165E9FB98F.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	528.8 KB
ID:	258805  
Old 09-01-2019, 07:06 PM   #1641

Then it’s a simple cut with the torch, bevel the top for a weld, and cut a couple of holes for the anchor bolts.

The plate is 5/8” plate 16” X 16”. There are seven of them this size for the main columns. The other plates will be a different size.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	40C16171-8DAE-4252-B275-F8A44F3CB9EC.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	484.0 KB
ID:	258806  
Old 09-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #1642

Today was a good day. I got the last of the 16 plates cut, eight big ones and eight not so big ones. There was a nap involved too. Cutting the plates to size is hard part because it’s straight lines with a cutting torch, 5/8” plate is too thick to cut with the steel cutting saw. Plus there’s a Zen thing that happens with the cutting torch. If you can get into the zone you can rip through the steel. But if you trip or de-Zen-zone then you are the one getting ripped. Normal 1/16th of an inch wavering doesn’t look bad but if you waver 2/16ths, you might as well as wavered a couple of eighth’s. It looks awful.

Glenda was explaining to a neighbor this morning about how it works with me. “Harvey said he was starting the framing of the building yesterday. So I’m looking for posts to be going up. No, he has to make plates before because he has to weld the posts to the plates. Maybe by next week we’ll have posts.”

The posts or columns if you will on the north and south sides have to be spaced within an eighth of an inch. This is why I went with the pipes tied into the rebar grid and not worrying about being exactly in place. I knew the concrete guys would mess it up and I allowed for it.

So tomorrow I have eight or so of the pipe holes to cut into the plates, a lot of grinding and cleaning, and a lot of measuring in the beginning, middle, and end of the placements. I have a lot of grinders. I have two Bosch nine inchers that are like D10 crawlers when it comes to moving metal. And they love to be pushed hard, problem is they are heavy and I’m old. The reason I have two is the first Bosch nine inch grinder was the first grinder I ever owned that I couldn’t shove into steel and stop the wheel. I was so impressed with that I bought another one just in case the first one went bad on me. I have a 4 1/2” grinder with a concrete blade on it for smoothing the concrete around the pipe in the slab. I have another with a cup brush. And I have two more with different grits of discs on them for working the steel. I believe in changing grinders instead of wheels on grinders.

I like the way it’s working out. I think it’s going to be worth it. And the best thing about tackling this at my age is I’m not worried about resale or what others think so much.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C27F05C6-2875-4020-AA20-C73A2298434F.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	598.2 KB
ID:	258908   Click image for larger version

Name:	003B805B-B425-411C-864D-C6A19D4C018E.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	578.6 KB
ID:	258909  

Old 09-02-2019, 08:32 PM   #1643

The hole for the pipe in the plate is beveled so that we can have plenty of weld area even if we have to grind the area off flat to accommodate the post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C1CF28AE-5A6A-42B7-9C85-FCAE126E7E67.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	576.1 KB
ID:	258910  
Old 09-03-2019, 06:35 AM   #1644

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Dang Harvey, that is a hunk of steel! That will hold the building down right for sure! Great job! Rail!
Old 09-03-2019, 08:29 AM   #1645

Dang Harvey, If I wasn't so busy with the house remodel here in Rhome I'd ride up there and give you a hand. I'm a Jedi with a Cutting Torch.
And big grinders, I've got 5 too!. I'm like you. easier to unplug the grinder and grab another than swapping attachments. My big Bosche is over 30 years old and has nealy ripped a finger off twice.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:02 AM   #1646
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
I believe in changing grinders instead of wheels on grinders.

I do a similar thing with woodworking tools. I have a couple of routers and installed bits that are dedicated to their unique tasks. It eliminates a lot of changeover and setup time.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #1647

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I used to have 3 grinders, I didn't do as much as you 2 do, now due to space limitations(and weight restrictions) I am down to 1 4".
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:46 PM   #1648

Same here, I used to buy good ones,,,,,,, then found the Harbor Freight 4" grinders were so cheap, I have a drawer full. They last years and years.

L.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:43 AM   #1649

Ok.

I confess, multiple routers.

Back in the day I didn’t use the 4.5” angle grinders much, mostly used 9 inchers. Now I prefer the 4.5’s so the big Bosch has wore me slick.

Again, back in the day I used to love to go to the Black & Decker repair store, they had bargains, overstock bits, blades, and wheels for every power tool. But they had something even better. A company would turn in their DeWalt angle grinders for repair, the good ones, the ones that even back then cost a couple of hundred dollars new. The bill would be about a hundred dollars and the company would decline picking them up, buy new ones for less. I could pick up a good grinder for about the price of a throwaway or less. So I did. Then DeWalt took over and the tool repair store moved all over Dallas and the good old grinders slowly disappeared. Approximately the same thing happened to the Bosch products.

When we built the shed in Yuma AirGas had a DeWalt special, two 4.5” grinders for $99.00. They’re still running the item at that price. I was using them working on the project for my bud last month. They would get so hot making the cuts that you had to wear gloves. An old good DeWalt grinder on the other hand did fine until the cord went south, easy repair.

Last night I ran over to Harbor Freight for some 8” C clamps. I’m using a ton of them making the posts/columns. This is the first one. As you can see I took two 27 footers and made one 12’ post and one 15’ post. The 12 footers are for the south wall and the 15 footers are for the north wall. The west wall posts will be fun, math, all about the math. Ridge post will be approximately 23’. The rest of them will be calculated using the 4:12 formula.

Now we’re making posts, and this morning we light off the burn pit so Glenda can refill it.

One of the neat things is Dozer loves to guard the slab until it gets too hot. Them squirrels are not allowed on his concrete!

We’re in the high nineties with a feels like in the low hundreds.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AB91918C-C1B3-4718-9787-02672996C929.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	639.7 KB
ID:	259195  
Old 09-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #1650

I enjoy reading your progress. I too am busy with multiple ongoing projects, also in the punishing heat. Just Florida heat instead of Texas heat! I hope to have occasion to meet up some day, I have a feeling we'd get along well.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:09 PM   #1651

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Harvey,
I know that you love what you are doing, but Geez, you really make some of us look really lazy.lol.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:33 AM   #1652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
I enjoy reading your progress. I too am busy with multiple ongoing projects, also in the punishing heat. Just Florida heat instead of Texas heat! I hope to have occasion to meet up some day, I have a feeling we'd get along well.
I bet you’re right.

One of the carpenters working under the awning we built last month was complaining about long it was taking to make the oak flooring out of the rough cut lumber. I had to smile, it’s all about the layers, so many steps, and each one is important.

I’m working at crawl speed as I fight the heat, 100 degrees, 101 tomorrow, and figuring out how to do it efficiently. For instance the work table is great for tacking up the post but it is too high for welding up comfortably. Ideally I’ll make a way to weld it up while staying under the umbrella and sitting down.

The big hiccup right is I have misplaced my welding rod pouch. I’m used to not only use it for holding rods, it’s also where I put the rod ends. I took it off the other day while working on getting antenna cable into the coach, it’s here, well, where, right now.