Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2019, 05:00 AM   #1695

Oh! And we came that close to never having a financial issue ever again!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32D56585-93FE-4725-85B0-BF3A047B6B90.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	261322  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2019, 05:18 AM   #1696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
Oh! And we came that close to never having a financial issue ever again!!

Looks like someone for got to leave the bucket of gold on the scaffold.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:24 AM   #1697

"She left me with instructions about not setting in posts without her."

Mine would have driven around the block and back just to verify that I was indeed doing exactly what she just said not to. Not to stop me, just to sigh and shake her head.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:08 AM   #1698

Wives do develop an attitude when it comes to stuff, don’t they?

Dad has been asking about how we’re doing so we’ve started sending him photo updates. The other day he purchased a bigger and better recliner. Glenda asked him if he got an electric one.

“I did. I wasn’t going to because I don’t need one now but in a couple of years it might come in handy.” I guess you can say he isn’t thinking about stopping, just slowing down over time.

Every morning I check on the Weather Channel app and they’re kinda like ducks when it comes to forecasts. Every day it’s a brand new world. I couple of days ago they were saying today will be in the high eighties. Last night they said high today of 96 with chance of rain all day. Feel like is going to be steamy. We had two shower sessions yesterday, just wet enough to make the heat “interesting”.

We’ll be making the west end posts today, every one a different height. The ridge beam post will be the funnest to install, hopefully tomorrow or Friday.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:57 AM   #1699

Earlier this summer I had a buddy in town from Indiana. We had one of the usual afternoon showers. After the rain stopped he says "wow, that really cooled it off nicely". I replied "just wait".
30 minutes later the oppressive heat had returned and brought with it the overbearing humidity.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:57 AM   #1700
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob View Post
Earlier this summer I had a buddy in town from Indiana. We had one of the usual afternoon showers. After the rain stopped he says "wow, that really cooled it off nicely". I replied "just wait".
30 minutes later the oppressive heat had returned and brought with it the overbearing humidity.
Yup! 90+ degrees after lunch. Afternoon thunderstorm drops the temps into the 70's. Then the clouds disappear, the sun makes the puddles disappear, the roads are dry, the grass is dry, and it's back into the 90's with super-humidity! 30 minutes is pretty accurate.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:24 PM   #1701

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I read your whole story. Your awesome! I went back in time when you mentioned Durant ok. My great great grandfather was from Alabama when his first wife who was not very religious died that is a story in itself... he met a women who was very religious and married her probably to raise his young children. they all moved to Durant ok. He owned thousands of acres in Durant. After he died my half great uncle just kinda stole all the land. We all went to a family reunion back in the seventies. Needless to say my side of the family were considered the black sheep. My half great uncle asked my cousin from Houston if he would consider coming to work for him. Great half uncle told him what he would pay him.... His answer was that would not even paid my liquor bill.
msaffa33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:30 AM   #1702

I appreciate the kind comments. I go to Durant occasionally, their Lowes is bigger than the one we have in Sherman.

Today is another swimming without fear of drowning humidity day. I was in training 1966 when the radio said something about 80% humidity and 85 degrees. I had spent my whole life in AZ and CA up to that period in Georgia. I assumed some one misspoke, humidity was never higher than 35%. When the Greyhound stopped in Tucson the clock on the tower said 110 degrees and it was cooler than 85 degrees in Augusta.

In Nam I occasionally drove a five ton tractor and trailer in convoys. We would be rolling along the dust so thick you couldn’t see or breathe and then it would be raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock. We’d come out of the rain storm and shortly would be back in the dust again.

This morning we have some showers and then the plan is to place the ridge pole, just Glenda and me. I explained how we would do it and she’s game. She’ll be up on the rolling scaffold with the levels holding it in place while I weld up the base. Getting it up there will be the fun part. The post is too tall for the jib boom to lift it like the other posts.

It is welded up and ready.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	233B94C3-0635-4523-A2AB-4B9B0E07F0A0.jpg
Size:	710.7 KB
ID:	261500  
Old 09-26-2019, 07:15 AM   #1703

Gulf Streamers Club
Progress. Y'all be careful putting up that beam.

ron and pebbles
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #1704

Words to follow
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0CBE8AF1-FBF9-4746-B1D5-1BBFD13A9EBD.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	526.3 KB
ID:	261527  
Old 09-26-2019, 02:55 PM   #1705

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good progress Harv, just be careful.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:37 AM   #1706

Does that big post look good standing up there or what? It turned out pretty easy to do. The hardest thing was getting Glenda’s confidence up on climbing up and onto the top deck of the scaffolding. She was bound and determined to do it but it was intimidating. But she’s let me know that she doesn’t think she can do it when I add the next layer and it will be three levels high.

We had to do a selfie.

Oh Dear!!!! The upside down version makes me even dizzy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6756F32D-760E-44F7-9150-0C99949D68AF.jpg
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	261593  
Old 09-27-2019, 05:50 AM   #1707

Today will be a short day for work. We have a family thing to do this evening in the city and we have to give the truck to the mechanic for the night. We’ll get her back tomorrow.

So we’ll shut down by two. I will probably work on making the last two posts. Then it will be about installing the pieces between the posts. That will be followed by the fabrication and installation of the ridge beam. The ridge beam is the forty footer that sits on top of the ridge pole we set yesterday. Then it’s rafters, again fabricated and installed, six of them. Three of them will be 20+ feet and three will be 30+ feet.

The fabrication of the beams and posts takes a lot of time. I have to cut two pieces to length. Clamp them together with C clamps, I bought 7 more of them yesterday morning for the longer pieces. Then I lay out and tack the piece up. I move it into the shop where I can weld it all up as comfortable as possible. The ridge beam will have 320” of weld for instance. 4” per foot on each side adds up. I will be buying another 50lb box of rod by next weekend.

Neighbor said it’s starting to look like a chapel, then he grinned, he’d make a great RV’r.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:18 AM   #1708

My lady also has some challenges with heights, often times she will project her reservations onto me when I have to do the high-up stuff. I keep telling her it's no different than standing on the ground, except for the distance should you lose balance. All that said, she has on several occasions, set her fears aside when it really counts. The last house we built required about 1500 self tapping screws to be installed along a receiver channel that was 14 feet off the ground. I had a the scaffolding setup with wheels. Once she got up there (the climb up seemed to be the biggest challenge) she stayed on the scaffold the rest of the day, and even got the hang of rolling the scaffold while on it.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote