Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2019, 09:35 PM   #1737

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Bad A$$, Harvey!

Rail!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2019, 06:24 AM   #1738

Yesterday was a special day for us. Getting the 400lb ridge beam in place was a quite an adventure. It started with getting the beam up to as high as the tractor could get it and discovering that the block and tackles were too light to do the job safely. It was only a two foot lift with the block and tackles but it would be at the limit for the neighbor and me physically and any kind of failure would be catastrophic.

We dropped it back down and reattached the beam to the tractor with almost no slack between hook and beam. We were able to get the beam on to the west post after some nerve wracking incidents. I ended up going up in the scissor lift and using a lever (2” X 4”) to maneuver that end into place. When it was on the posts we all were in total collapse mode, Glenda, neighbor, and myself. There was some profanity and a very loud scream at Miss Glenda when she ran under the beam during one of the lift attempts. She wasn’t thinking and I had set the operation up where a failure would not end up with the beam on us, unless Glenda in a moment of trying to help ran under it.

Yesterday afternoon I was able to remove the gin poles from the posts and attach the beam to the posts. The west one is attached with screws and welds. The east temporary is attached with screws.

Today we start working on the rafters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A7415669-8F34-4FEB-B4F6-2A7278897585.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	262503   Click image for larger version

Name:	D40DA340-EF13-48C8-A021-7E9008C58119.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	262504  

Old 10-05-2019, 08:02 AM   #1739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
Ridge beam was in place before lunch

Nothing but a thing😰

Looks like Glenda is holding her back in that pic! Shame on you!
Good job on the beam though!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:11 AM   #1740

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks good Harv, you are a fan of metal framing as I am. Take care, and stay safe!
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #1741

Gulf Streamers Club
That is beginning to look like Stonehenge. Are you not telling us something?

ron and pebbles

ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:14 AM   #1742

Yesterday I got the rafter pieces for the north side cut. The north west rafter is a single piece so I have it up there for a temporary fit. The problem is everything is fifteen to twenty two foot high which means up and down in the lift for every measurement and adjustment.

It’s supposed to get up to 92 again today. Then this evening it is supposed to rain and then it will be in the seventies and eighties next week. We need the rain and I really need a break from the heat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BD2E7E69-033F-415E-B632-28429205BEE1.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	262620   Click image for larger version

Name:	97241387-C17E-4649-8034-B02F0A3C292B.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	262621  

Old 10-06-2019, 06:52 AM   #1743

Making progress.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #1744

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Looking better every day Harvey.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:51 AM   #1745

Wow! We overslept this morning. I think it had something to do with shutting off the a/c last night and opening up the windows of Jane for the first time since March. It’s 16 degrees Centigrade as I type inside the coach, middle fifties for Texans.

I say “we” inaccurately. Glenda has been up and down all night with an upset stomach. We suspect it’s from eating too many almonds and her diverticulitis. She’s not having much fun at the moment.

Yesterday was in the nineties again with loud sprinkles. I decided I needed some braces for holding the posts on the west side plumb while installing the rafter. I used a Swanson adjustable square because it looked so kewel for the layout. I should have used my old trusty speed square. The cut it off so this morning I will trim and fit so I can weld it up permanently. It should be easier without the posts swaying back and forth at a different rhythm than the scissor lift. Once the rafter is fitted I can transfer those measurements to the others and installation will be easier (faster).

Of course inquiring minds are going to want to know, will I become more productive now that I don’t have the heat to deal with? Or will I find another excuse for my lack of productivity?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	05644676-F957-4B25-BF10-A8329403DA5C.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	262802  
Old 10-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #1746

Gulf Streamers Club
Standing steel sure makes a difference in the looks of the place. It will get built at its own pace. Sleeping in one morning is allowed, maybe even encouraged.

ronspradley

ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #1747

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I agree with Ron! If you didn’t need it you would have been up before the birds. You probably worked better today because of the extra sleep.

I hope Glenda is feeling better.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:30 AM   #1748

Dozer is giving a frog heck. He just wants them away from his yard. Silly dog. It’s the frog’s yard too.

Yesterday was wonderful. It never hit eighty, today it will. Then mid eighties for tomorrow, high eighties to low nineties Thursday. I got a lot done, not much you can see without looking hard, but a lot got done.

Glenda was in all day, sicker than a dog all day. She started feeling better last night and she’s got a full day planned for today.

I was going through the additional cuts I did the other day and found my first piece. My 12” speed square has a shoulder knocked off so it’s only accurate going one direction. The marks I did with it were correct. But of course I went and bought the trick square and misread it and cut the wrong new lines. I picked up a new 12” square the other day just in case, smart move on my part.
The wind was up so I concentrated on doing the ground work yesterday. No wind to speak of today supposedly. I’m getting better at taking everything I need when I go up in the scissor lift. Today we night get some stuff done that we can take photos of.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:22 AM   #1749

It’s another perfect weather day, well, except for the chance for spring like storms this afternoon.

Yesterday afternoon I cut loose the west side rafter to trim it up to fit and weld up. When I cut it loose it slid down and away about two feet. OOPS!!!!!

There was some interesting moments that followed. I was in the lift so I had no leverage. I had to go down, pick up some materials and a block and tackle. I was able to secure the rafter, trim it to fit, and the pull it into place. It welded up fine. But I could just see that puppy going to the ground and having to lift it back into place all over again. But we got lucky. It caused me to have others do the roof sheets installation. I’m not as stable on flat ground with the bad foot as it is.

The other day I was up in the lift and wanted to reach out for some reason or another. I went down, moved the lift, and then went back up again. Fifteen years ago I used the same lift for wiring and plumbing for air in my bud’s barn. I would climb up on top of the rails and reach out with it full up extension. No fear, no caution, just get’er done. Those days are gone,

Neighbors leave for Talladega this morning. Glenda’s going to watch the animals while they’re gone. She gets the Gator for the week to use for running back and forth. Oh my. I can’t justify a side by side for an acre and a half.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:25 AM   #1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
It’s another perfect weather day, well, except for the chance for spring like storms this afternoon.

Yesterday afternoon I cut loose the west side rafter to trim it up to fit and weld up. When I cut it loose it slid down and away about two feet. OOPS!!!!!

There was some interesting moments that followed. I was in the lift so I had no leverage. I had to go down, pick up some materials and a block and tackle. I was able to secure the rafter, trim it to fit, and the pull it into place. It welded up fine. But I could just see that puppy going to the ground and having to lift it back into place all over again. But we got lucky. It caused me to have others do the roof sheets installation. I’m not as stable on flat ground with the bad foot as it is.

The other day I was up in the lift and wanted to reach out for some reason or another. I went down, moved the lift, and then went back up again. Fifteen years ago I used the same lift for wiring and plumbing for air in my bud’s barn. I would climb up on top of the rails and reach out with it full up extension. No fear, no caution, just get’er done. Those days are gone,

Neighbors leave for Talladega this morning. Glenda’s going to watch the animals while they’re gone. She gets the Gator for the week to use for running back and forth. Oh my. I can’t justify a side by side for an acre and a half.
Good plan on the sheet metal.

Get a Golf Cart with a box on it. I use it all the time on my front 2 acres. Good way to keep a older body from aching.