Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2019, 09:25 PM   #1877

A good day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8B5D6B02-7104-4DA0-A4B2-1F0C9402FC7D.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	267762  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2019, 09:30 PM   #1878

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
OK, Harvey, I understand! How high will the Bobcat pole go? Could you put a pulley at the very end of the pole, and tie off the purlin in the center, and use the pully a rope, to lift the purlin off the lift and into position? Or lower it down gently on the brackets!
It sounds terrifying having the lift drop 6"s at once!
Just something that I am thinking about to keep your safe! I know by the time you read this, you will have them done! Rail!
Old 11-24-2019, 03:22 AM   #1879

Time to head south.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:17 AM   #1880

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
OK, Harvey, I understand! How high will the Bobcat pole go? Could you put a pulley at the very end of the pole, and tie off the purlin in the center, and use the pully a rope, to lift the purlin off the lift and into position? Or lower it down gently on the brackets!
It sounds terrifying having the lift drop 6"s at once!
Just something that I am thinking about to keep your safe! I know by the time you read this, you will have them done! Rail!
The ridge beam weighed approximately 400 lbs. The block and tackles were too weak for the lift. And the skid steer with the gin pole and electric winch was still six inches short to get both ends on top of the poles. One end had to be lifted into place using some leverage and the lift.

21 1/2 ft to the bottom of the ridge beam

I could have done this without the man lift. But it wouldn’t have been near as much fun or easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12685CAD-173D-4A2F-88B1-5C62BDB8CBFC.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	267778  
Old 11-24-2019, 07:26 AM   #1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
Time to head south.
Oh if it was that simple.

We’re having chamber of commerce weather for the next couple of days, 70 today. And I’m really excited about framing up the apartment. I’m ready!!!!

Today and tomorrow I work on the barn. Tuesday morning we head up to OKC where I will wear the uniform of carpenter, plumber, general all around handyman. Friday morning we head back home and we start working on the coach, toad, and winterizing Thereabouts.

One thing we have agreed on. First thing on our to do list when we get back is to get that antenna up and get us some good internet.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:51 AM   #1882

Gulf Streamers Club
Looks great Harvey. Does that picture show all the purlins installed? Almost time to start getting ready for Yuma. I am getting ready for Yuma myself. Leaving the homestead Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. Stay safe.

ron and pebbles
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:58 AM   #1883

We’re about two weeks behind Pebbles and you Ron.

The Tracker and the coach both need some TLC prior to heading to Yuma. I already have one welding job waiting on me a couple of streets over.

That is the interior purlins over he barn cavity. I have four more to install but they’re outside the cavity over the soffit. I still have a ton of screws to install but there’s enough in there to hold everything together until spring.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:08 AM   #1884

Harvey, what am I going to do for coffee drinking entertainment in the AM if you aren't going to be posting progress on the building?!? You're gonna make me quit cold turkey! Which is fine for Friday after Thanksgiving, but sucks for the Winter months until you get back to Thereabouts. . . I need to find a shyster lawyer to sue you for pain and suffering from the withdrawal!Seriously, I've lurked from afar on this and you and Glenda are an inspiration to us all! Safe travels and safe returns. Scot
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #1885

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Harvey, what am I going to do for coffee drinking entertainment in the AM if you aren't going to be posting progress on the building?!? You're gonna make me quit cold turkey! Which is fine for Friday after Thanksgiving, but sucks for the Winter months until you get back to Thereabouts. . . I need to find a shyster lawyer to sue you for pain and suffering from the withdrawal!Seriously, I've lurked from afar on this and you and Glenda are an inspiration to us all! Safe travels and safe returns. Scot
What Scot said.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:26 PM   #1886

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post

Just think what will be going threw Harvey’s mind while he is in Yuma. A whole new plan on how to finish the Barndomidium. I see a few sleepless nights for him.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:15 AM   #1887

Never forget, I’m not the only one on this train!!! Miss Glenda is doing her own thing with the dreaming. She’s building the kitchen of her dreams. I’m glad we have some time between now and doing the kitchen. Otherwise I would be on my third or fourth remodel.

Yesterday a voice from the past came through on the phone. We call him Glenda’s twin because they were born on the same exact day in different parts of the US. His health is an issue with Parkinson’s. But his spirit is strong. He asked what we had been up to the last couple of years. I sent him here if has some time.

I suspect I pulled some lower back muscles the other day up there with one of the last purlins. It was a tight fit and I had to strain a bit. I’ve fought the back pain and hopefully will be able to continue to do so for today and tomorrow. Then I will take a couple of days to rest.

Everyone be safe on the road this Holiday. The weather is supposed to be rough just about everywhere. But most of all, take the moments to appreciate the day and all the love in your life.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:58 AM   #1888

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
I suspect I pulled some lower back muscles the other day up there with one of the last purlins. It was a tight fit and I had to strain a bit. I’ve fought the back pain and hopefully will be able to continue to do so for today and tomorrow. Then I will take a couple of days to rest.
Heating pad at bedtime works wonders for me and my back. Not only helps with the injury but relaxes. AND, about the only time anymore that my back reacts to overwork is when I forget to wear by back belt.

Just sayin. Be safe. Enjoy your short visit to Oklahoma. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your's.

Guy
Old 11-27-2019, 08:19 PM   #1889

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Safe travels! Honk and wave if you pass mile marker 69 on I-8. You can see Connie’s new tin roof from the highway. Better yet, take exit 67 and call me. We’ll come lead you thru the old airport. It’s about 25% old concrete instead of that miserable washboard frontage road.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:17 PM   #1890

Early start to my day.

DH gave me a wake up call at 7.30AM. Then we went outside to try and push the 5x8 utility trailer on to the back patio. It wouldn't fit through our new double gate. We got rid of an old table in our driveway. We were able to push it off to the side. This leaves enough room for the 30inch snow blower to be brought out this way. Tarped up the trailer and weighted it down with three heavy patio blocks. DH had brought the riding mower in the back yard. Just enough room to drive it on the patio. Got it tarped and tied down. My park bench is also on the patio with a cover. Then it sprinkled as DH was putting some 2x4s in the shed. We had to get this done before 30MPH winds with gusts up to 60MPH. Then I went back to bed and couldn't get back to sleep.DH almost forgot to take the lawn mower battery out and put a charge on it for storage. DD had to work today. She works Black Friday from 7AM to 4PM. She needs a good paycheck as both her cats need vet. visits and shots. Probably around $200.00. Everyone enjoy Thanksgiving with family and friends. Prayers said for those in need.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote